What puzzles me about all this butthurt re the attributes is that by far the most common criticism -- that they don't affect builds enough -- can be changed by adjusting a dozen numbers in a spreadsheet. That's like three minutes of work. I literally can't think of anything in the game that's easier to change. Yet certain people here make it out like the entire game is rotten to the bone.

(Of course, the folks who think that wizards have to be intelligent and there can't be a stat that governs physical and magical damage BECAUSE REASONS won't be happy, but all I can say to that is... good.)

• Like 10

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It's because they've run out of arguments and are just trolling with " 'muh DnD!"

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

What puzzles me about all this butthurt re the attributes is that by far the most common criticism -- that they don't affect builds enough -- can be changed by adjusting a dozen numbers in a spreadsheet. That's like three minutes of work. I literally can't think of anything in the game that's easier to change. Yet certain people here make it out like the entire game is rotten to the bone.

Yeah! You'd think that just even the faint possibility of not getting rewarded for taking on the challenges and content in the game would be much more upsetting, causing an uproar, even. The attribute system (as long as they keep the six ones they've been building stuff on) is easy to adjust and pales in comparison to the efforts any changes towards fine-meshing very rare quest xp (once or twice in an hour, provided that you do follow quest lines) will take.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You'd think that just even the faint possibility of not getting rewarded for taking on the challenges and content in the game would be much more upsetting, causing an uproar, even.

He said, implying that the challenges and content of the game will be concentrated in trash mobs.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Elaboration

3 = 1 per encouner ability

18 = 6 per encounter abilities

each 3 points +1

3 at 9 Resolve

Thanks for the more concrete example! However it illustrates why I at least don't like it and don't think it fits with the rest of the system.

No other stat currently has threshholds below which it is useless. No other stat currently has no effect if you put 1 or 2 points into it but a significant effect if you put 3.

Furthermore, while the current values need a lot of work I am strongly against introducing stats that do have these sorts of threshholds, I believe it has the following problems:

• It is both unsatisfying and unintuitive that putting 1 point into a stat does nothing
  • It will have a weird effect on the rest of the system because suddenly you have a stat that must be pumped/dumped in multiples of 3
  • It creates a trap/trash option (as Josh talked about recently in the interview that was linked): putting anything other than a multiple of 3 in the stat.
  • It makes the only current benefit of racial stat bonuses useless for that stat (going over the limit, currently a race that gave +1 or +2 to Resolve would effectively do nothing because even if you maxed the stat you would be at 20 which is a useless number under the threshold)

These are just some of the problems I see with any suggestion that includes threshholds for stats, and I'm sure I could come up with more if I kept thinking about it.

Consider also that in PoE your stats are permanent, you do not get periodic increases like in D&D. D&D (at least 3rd edition and up) have a threshholding system where essentially only every 2 points matter (since your bonus from a stat is [stat-10]/2) but there at least you get an extra point or two every 4 levels so that starting with a 13 or 15 in an ability score merely delays that stat being useful since you can raise it to a 14 or 16 after a few levels if you wish.

Booting up a new Planescape file made me realize some little things I'd like to suggest for PoE:

More interactable containers. It feels as if a majority of the crates and barrels around town are just static, and makes things feel more lifeless, I suppose. I think even empty ones make the game world feel more "full."

(I think I recall seeing this next suggestion elsewhere on the forums, but regardless.) When talking to random villagers, the dialogue screen should pop up, instead of floating text. We consciously clicked on them, we want to hear what they have to say. Floating text should be reserved for conversations between npcs and the like, I feel. It's not like in New Vegas, where we have the really jarring effect of the screen zooming in on a random npc's face just to have it zoom out seconds after.

Some people may disagree with this one. But I enjoy locked chests in homes or shops, things to get in trouble for taking. I know pickpocketing's out, but some form of thievery outside of straight-up murdering someone would be nice.

Edited by Meepalasheep
  • Like 1

Having a bunch of different saves for one character becomes somewhat of an exercise in futility when trying to load the latest save first thing when firing up the game the next day. The games are listed alphabetically instead of by the most recent save date/time, and with the font so small that I can't even read the times on the save files, it makes it terribly difficult to choose the latest save if I have a number in the same area.

So I'd like to see the saved games listed by most recent save date at the top of the list, then descend according to older and older saves down the list.

• Like 15

I'm assuming this is on their to do list. Though I'm surprised it's not already in place.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm assuming this is on their to do list. Though I'm surprised it's not already in place.

Yeah, I'm hoping  it's on the 'to do' list as well, and wasn't even going to report it at all. but then it occurred to me that it's such a simple thing that maybe they actually overlooked it.

-It would be more intuitive to have the selection radius be the entire character model rather than just the small cicle at their feet. I found myself constantly misclicking, trying to click on a character and "missing" because I chose to click on thier chest instead of their feet.

-I like the fact that looted item's selection radius goes grey after looting. Nice touch.

-When playing in windowed mode with multiple monitors open, if you save the changes to any settings, it will reposition the Window in the middle of the two monitors, which is a pain to reposition.

-When the quest log pops up it would be nice if we could click on the scroll that appears and it would open the journal to that specific entry

• Like 2

I would much rather being able to label my saved games, however saved by most to least recent would be my second choice.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Gotten started playing the beta and just want to point out a couple minor things that immediately feel off about the game.

1. The camera should follow the party.

It is a little awkward and wierd that I have to move the map around to follow my party and keep up with them if I click to move them to the edge of the screen.

2. Interacting with NPC's needs a bigger area.

Right now, to interact with an NPC you need to click around their feet. This is a minor issue but it would feel much better and less annoying if I could just click anywhere on the NPC and initiate dialogue or whatever with them. The circle at their feet just feels like a really small area to have to hit when you are trying to click on them.

Beyond those 2 minor issues, so far the game looks beautiful. I will report any further issues as I go along :)

Death godlike should be somewhat resistant to blinding effects - they're wearing a visor.

Resistant to attacks to their eyes, maybe. While a poke to the eye won't work very well, a sphere of darkness around the head is still going to blind them.

I have one more suggestion... Then I will shut up and wait for a patch, soonish...:

When I quicksave, I really need the info (quicksave succesful) to appear in the LOG (not on top of the log, disapearing before i can notice it) .... 

• Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

Yeah a stat that govern also the damage done by rifle.

So might govern physical,magical and the caliber of the round shoot by rifle and/or damage done by missile weapon in general it makes so much sense.

It make same way sense why one stat make you hit more accurate in melee and same time gives you ability carry more stuff, or stat that gives you ability to hit more accurate with missile weapon also make you better to dodge things and etc.

Attribute systems are always abstractions which is why they never can accurately represent reality.  

• Like 3

Yeah a stat that govern also the damage done by rifle.

So might govern physical,magical and the caliber of the round shoot by rifle and/or damage done by missile weapon in general it makes so much sense.

It make same way sense why one stat make you hit more accurate in melee and same time gives you ability carry more stuff, or stat that gives you ability to hit more accurate with missile weapon also make you better to dodge things and etc.

Attribute systems are always abstractions which is why they never can accurately represent reality.  

There are various level of abstraction and might went from the "suspensions of disbelief" to the "bull****" area.

Imho Might should be removed put strength in his place that govern physical and bows damage, intelligence regulate magic damage/effect and crossbow/rifle do not get any attribute improvement to the damage.

Edited by Giubba
  • Like 1

What is your reasoning that strength adds damage that bows do? Archer's strength determines only how strong bow they are able to use not how much power bow can put behind arrows that are shot with it.

And if magic adds physical damage that character do should that damage be determined by character's strength or intelligence? And what is reasoning behind you choice?

And how attributes should work otherwise in your system, meaning what attributes there should be, what they should do and reasoning behind them? As it is easy to demand changes in system but it is much harder to actually make them work in the game as intended.