Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for front-liners due to the healing boost.

I thought one of the problems with Resolve was that casters (positioned correctly) weren't getting hit at all and so interruption never even came into play. 

I like the idea of adding a crit bonus to Perception, though.

• Like 1

So, here's another thing that may not deserve its own thread.  Please respect my formation when walking during scripted cutscenes.  Specifically, if I have put my squishy caster character at the back of the formation please don't shove them up under the nose of the boss and his 5 cronies with slows (and 1 shotting deep wounds, but that's another issue).  Please leave the meat shields up front.  It's what I pay them for.  I can talk just fine from behind their backs.

Edited by ctdavids
  • Like 5

Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for front-liners due to the healing boost.

I thought one of the problems with Resolve was that casters (positioned correctly) weren't getting hit at all and so interruption never even came into play. 

I like the idea of adding a crit bonus to Perception, though.

The fact they aren't getting hit has more to do with the ai and current engagement mechanics so far. Once the ai is improved (and it will be improved) you will find keeping casters completely safe to be a real challenge.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The self-harm mechanic (being able to attack yourself) is amusing, but could annoy new players. I showed my wife the bear companion and let her loose to maul some villagers with it. The bear's selection circle overlapped the villager's, and she accidentally clicked the bear, which proceeded to maul itself. Just desserts or design flaw? You be the judge :)

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

The self-harm mechanic (being able to attack yourself) is amusing, but could annoy new players. I showed my wife the bear companion and let her loose to maul some villagers with it. The bear's selection circle overlapped the villager's, and she accidentally clicked the bear, which proceeded to maul itself. Just desserts or design flaw? You be the judge :)

I'd say it almost justifies a samurai class. 

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I think we need to change the human racial "special".  Every other race gets a different special buff based on their subrace, humans however have the same special skill no matter what subrace you choose.  This is just a little disappointing and seems odd that only Humans get snubbed.

• Like 6

1.   Unless I missed it there is no option for party member AI, such as auto spellcasting and healing. It's nice to not have to micromanage everything all the time.

2.   The descriptions of the attributes during character creation seem a bit vague to me. Does Dexterity add to the accuracy of magic cast by wizards, as is implied by the "all attacks" line? I don't know. And if so, why? It is magic, which should be guided by intelligence and concentration. Does Perception's interuption chance count for spells? I can't tell.

3.   Where is the spell book page? Starting as a wizard I had access to the level one spells I started with, but when I leveled up and learned level two and three spells, they did not become available. Even upon resting.

4.   The health/stamina/damage threshold battle system is, as noted in the latest update, unintuitive. A simple optional tutorial intro would be greatly appreciated.

I hope developers don't rush with beta feedback suggestions <_< I mean, like, accidentally making resolve overpowered before they make interruptions more obvious since resolve is actually not that bad stat it just isn't obvious when its being used.

Indeed. Resolve's base effect doesn't need to be improved. Resolve merely needs more appeal to more builds. By moving the power of healing from might which has too much appeal over to resolve; the attribute system would be better. Enhancing resolve's effect would only make perception worse.

The title music starts off a little slow, but after a while it gets really epic. I think that Obsidian should make the title song start a little further in. Then it would sound epic upon starting the game.

3.   Where is the spell book page? Starting as a wizard I had access to the level one spells I started with, but when I leveled up and learned level two and three spells, they did not become available. Even upon resting.

If you right click on the wizards spellbook in his inventory, it allows you to choose which spell for each level you would like. Hopefully for it will be explained for people in-game somewhere, I only knew this from obsessively reading every update along the way.

Just reposting this from another thread because I think it is a good idea and should be given serious consideration.

Cabamacadaf, on 22 Aug 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:snapback.png

If they'd just named it Power instead of Might, some people might have one less thing to complain about. Then again, they'd probably just find something else to complain about instead.

I do concur here.  People associate Might with Strength, but it isn't Strength, it is a reflection of the "force" or "power" of your soul.  You could be a 100 pound weakling in Eora and have a 18 or higher Might.  Changing it over to Power would be a good idea and fairly simple to implement.

If you right click on the wizards spellbook in his inventory, it allows you to choose which spell for each level you would like. Hopefully for it will be explained for people in-game somewhere, I only knew this from obsessively reading every update along the way.

A number of testers, myself included, were confused on how to access the spellbook. This is a major UI omission. There needs to be some sort of spelbook icon along with a hotkey. The IE games had it right in this regard.

Tying a crucial UI to right-clicking an item in your inventory is non-discoverable.

• Like 5

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Give us some form of xp that isn't related to quests. I've seen many people talk about this topic and there are consistent themes;

Some people REALLY want combat xp.

Some people want quest-only xp.

Both sides seem okay with exploration xp.

Go with the third choice and make almost everyone happy.

• Like 2

I haven't seen any feedback on the crafting and enchanting parts of the game yet.

Is anyone actually using these?

I have slowly started to piece some things together, but I am really not sure if the rewards will justify the invested work.  Since one cannot outline ingredients with the Tab key, it means pixel hunting the whole area, painstakingly, for recipe ingredients.

I thought killing deer would surely give meat, but didn't (no idea why).

Then, of course, are the limited spaces in normal inventory.  Why would I want to hold onto that Rice for, say, hours (and take up a valued inventory space)?  So yeah, throw it into the Stash, right?  But then I either have to use up valuable rest resources when in the field, or head back to an Inn in order to access the Rice *sigh*

And what, exactly, do I get for my exertions?  Some...food.  Has some temporary effect?

I haven't even looked into enchanting yet - I mean, there is just not enough wealth to get basic stuff, let alone getting to enchanted stuff.

Is anyone else messing around with Crafting and Enchanting yet?  I think we need a seperate entry for these on the Beta Forum.

Just reposting this from another thread because I think it is a good idea and should be given serious consideration.

Cabamacadaf, on 22 Aug 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:snapback.png

If they'd just named it Power instead of Might, some people might have one less thing to complain about. Then again, they'd probably just find something else to complain about instead.

I do concur here.  People associate Might with Strength, but it isn't Strength, it is a reflection of the "force" or "power" of your soul.  You could be a 100 pound weakling in Eora and have a 18 or higher Might.  Changing it over to Power would be a good idea and fairly simple to implement.

How about just naming it "Soul"...?

This can sound a bit weird but can you make bard in pubs/inns play happier songs or at least change few songs?

How about letting your own party Chanter steal the show at inns/taverns/pubs? :D

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Please add feedback in the combat log for the interrupt & concentration mechanism.

It's really hard to tell how and if this feature works with no feedback at all.

A lot of people seem to think that it does nothing at all, while someone

recently compared a very high PER character with a low one and claimed to have seen

noticeable differences.

On the other hand, I did not see much when I tried a ranger with high PER.

At the moment it's like a black box.

You don't know when, why and how interrupts work.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

You can't zoom in any further. The closest zoom is the source art level. Any closer and you'll pixelate the background.

Better to have a blurry or pixelated zoom than have to run the game at a non-native resolution in order to see things.

Suggestion: Rotating Quicksaves

I didn't stick with Divinity: Original Sin for long, but this was a brilliant feature. You have up to five quicksave slots (the number is configurable in options). Hitting the quicksave key saves into a new slot or overwrites the oldest one if you're at the maximum number.

This minimizes the annoying, immersion-breaking process of hitting Esc, Save, and click a new game slot, while mitigating the fear of overwriting your one quicksave slot. With this in place I would seldom need to save the game "the hard way".

What do you guys think? Trial of Iron players won't care, but I would love this. It would be easy to implement, too.

Edited by PrimeHydra
  • Like 10

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Suggestion: Rotating Quicksaves

I didn't stick with Divinity: Original Sin for long, but this was a brilliant feature. You have up to five quicksave slots (the number is configurable in options). Hitting the quicksave key saves into a new slot or overwrites the oldest one if you're at the maximum number.

This minimizes the annoying, immersion-breaking process of hitting Esc, Save, and click a new game slot, while mitigating the fear of overwriting your one quicksave slot. With this in place I would seldom need to save the game "the hard way".

What do you guys think? Trial of Iron players won't care, but I would love this. It would be easy to implement.

This should be standard in every game with an auto/quick save. No idea why developers almost never put it in.

• Like 4

@Fluffle: Try a high PER and RES melee character dual-wielding light weapons. Then melee someone. Then watch closely. You will see that the other guy will jerk back a lot and barely be able to get any hits in. It is not obvious because of the lack of feedback, but it happens and is quite significant.

I just tried this with an orlan fighter named Pintsize.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

During some video cutting this morning I also noticed something else surprising, minor, but surprising.

The Rauatai is the only culture without a unique background option.  Maybe we can do something about this before launch?  I know it seems minor since it is only an RP thing but every other culture has one, why not them?

• Like 3

Suggestions for the character creation:

Assign the stats to start at 10 or so. 57 points is lot to divide. If you instead have to remove from a skill to add to another, it will make the trade off in abilities more apparent, instead of just putting everything in one or two stats and dividing the rest.

Have the Character Creation randomly pick what is shown as the character, before the player chooses the character. so instead of always having the same Male/Savannah human/Fighter/Aedyr character showing, it will be randomly selected so you have a Female/Pale elf/Chanter/from the living lands or a Male/Island Aumaua/Druid/Rautaui . Just to create atmosphere and serve as inspiration.

• Like 1