Please change stat system to more classic and easy-to-understand type.

• Like 2

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

Quest items need to go into the quest item loot area regardless of whether the main character or a companion picks them up.  This is just a quality of life issue... until you change companions and remove someone who had a quest item you didn't notice and then it becomes horrible.

• Like 3

As suggested in another thread I'd like an autopause at the end of any action (spells, class abilities, moving) to be implemented. Also an autopause when a party member is idle.

That way we can chain actions without any delay - essential in heavy combat scenarios IMO (at least for those who play with the autopause). And it helps alleviating the problem of tracking cast duration of various abilities and spells.

Edited by Tanred
  • Like 2

Quest items need to go into the quest item loot area regardless of whether the main character or a companion picks them up.  This is just a quality of life issue... until you change companions and remove someone who had a quest item you didn't notice and then it becomes horrible.

As an additional comment on this, I just picked up the currier's key with an NPC.  This made me unable to open his door until I dragged it to my main character's inventory.  100% unejoyable experience.  Pick up quest items into quest item area please.

I've mentioned this before but .....

MONK ANIMATIONS. I'm not sure if they have been limited just for the backer beta, however assuming this is not the case, I really think they need more work.

Firstly, the current monk attack is only a slight adaption of the non-monk unarmed attack animation. This isn't really good enough considering how long the game will have us staring unblinkingly at our little avatars of death and joy. A small combo or kick added in just to spice it up a smidge would be a real improvement in terms of convincing the player that this is a monk dedicated to the fighting arts and not just some daft brawler.

Equally important (maybe more) is the lack of an "en garde/weapon drawn" fighting stance once in combat. Having the monk avatar go from standing up at attention into the scripted punch animation every-time looks a little ridiculous and really doesn't fit with all the other classes standing at the ready with their weapons drawn and ready for combat.  

Although this might seem to be a minor issue it really does detract from my own personal enjoyment of combat as it is a constant visible niggle concerning my favorite class. I hope I'm not alone in my views as it would be wonderful to see this improved. THAT SAID I am loving everything else about the game, bugs aside, and will continue to play regardless.

ta  :biggrin:

• Like 3

Racial Attribute Bonuses ("E.G. Meadow Folk are known to be a MIGHTY empire" or "Ocean Folk have strong RESOLVE at sea" etc.):

Upbringing different, and thus, different attribute bonuses/developments/training. This could make combat more interesting, in a way, as well. When you fight against an Aumaua vs an Orlan, they'll have different Attribute strengths.

Human "To be..."
-- "... Meadow Folk" +2 Resolve, +3 Might, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity, +1 Perception 
-- "... Ocean Folk" +# Resolve, +# Might, +# Constitution, +# Intelligence, +# Dexterity, +# Perception
-- "... Savannah Folk" +# Resolve, +# Might, +# Constitution, +# Intelligence, +# Dexterity, +# Perception

Minimum Cap Example Meadow Folk
10 - MIG
08 - DEX
09 - CON
08 - PER
09 - INT
09 - RES
Total: 25 (78 total in PoE) points left to spend on Character Creation.

EDIT: Making Attributes more thematic, I believe, adds massive roleplay value.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I think the terrain to improve more is the combat system, aside of the huge amount of bugs there, I think what is happening is not clear, thus it drives to a bad experience.

First, make circles around persons/monsters more visible and more distinguishible.

Improve the information we see, at the moment you just see numbers around, but you don't know who's doing what.

Movement has to be improved.

Normal mode speed should be slower or slow mode should be faster.

Improve AI of the rivals

Make terrain elevations more clearer.

That is a good place to start!

Some suggestions & feedback:

- When reading the character's stat page, you can't switch characters, you have to close it, select a different character and then open it again.

- Combat lacks weight and feedback, like characters shouting and the screen shake when you land a critical. It's also very hard to see when and if characters are actually performing the actions you ordered them to do, be it casting a spell or attacking an enemy.

- Combat log is horribly polluted with pointless stuff and it records too little:

AtR2oHX.png

It's a pain to find relevant info instead of "Bob recovered 0 stamina because stuff", and you can't scroll back much. It's so short that you usually can't even go as back as the start of a battle you just fought. The log history should be longer, and allow you to filter out these pointless stamina recoveries.

- There's a lot of repetitive and boring spells. Seriously, most of the spells are "decrease/increase X stats", followed then by some damage spells that also "decrease X stats". There are almost no utility spells like Dispel, Identify, Knock, Sense Trap, Charm, Sleep, Detect Invisibility, etc... Instead you have ultra-specific stuff like "decrease by X% the accuracy of disengagement attacks in the area".

Not to mention that they are very similar. There's a "Mirror Image" spell for Wizards on Lv 1, 2 and 3:

8IDebd9.png

That's a drawback of not linking spell efficiency to the spellcaster level, as in D&D. :3

- You cannot see spell's detailed effect when selecting the on level up. They only show up when in your Grimoire:

2ITqbet.png

- Documentation is seriously lacking. I.e., the game shows that the Resilience stat raise Concentration. But nowhere it explains what Concentration is.

- The stats description also are confusing as hell. Just try to make sense of this:

GOIv8xQ.png

The lines are obviously weird, but the worst offender are these % everywhere, that you can only guess. "+50% Crush damage" means that it boost my Crush damage in 50%, or it adds 50% of my damage as additional Crush damage? I have no clue. And what the hell is 1000% Crush damage, since the weapon gives Slashing damage?

- Most importantly, items feel to similar. There might be more interesting items in the full game, but the Beta lacks any game changer. Everything is "gives you a bit more of X". Looking at the item enchantment list, I feel like looking at Diablo's random item generator. if you're creating unique weapons with lore and all that, make them really unique, not just a weapon with two enchantments that you can do yourself. Think Lilarcor, Adjatha the Drinker or Crom Faeyr, not Diablo-ish loot.

- The space to sell stuff in stores is too small. It makes impossible to trade a lot of junk for something powerful.

-  Might is too powerful and Intelligence too weak. That's especially true if you plan to create a custom party. Just create a Priest with a lot of Int as "main character" and you'll have both buffs and dialogs covered. Every other character you create can just stay at Int 3 without losing much.

• Like 9

- When reading the character's stat page, you can't switch characters, you have to close it, select a different character and then open it again.

There are actually buttons to switch between them. I've highlighted them in the relevant screenshot on my 'UI consistency' thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67406-ui-consistency/?do=findComment&comment=1485860

• Like 1

There are actually buttons to switch between them. I've highlighted them in the relevant screenshot on my 'UI consistency' thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67406-ui-consistency/?do=findComment&comment=1485860

Then I think it proves your point about how having no consistency is confusing. ;)

• Like 1

It has probably been mentioned, but Tab should highlight loot piles. Just fought some Elder Lions and they were behind a tree when they fell...had to pixel hunt a bit to find their dropped fangs.

• Like 4

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

I haven't seen anyone take issue with it, and to be honest it does look great so this is low priority, but it would be nice to be able to do a vertical/horizontal switch on the two UI elements besides the log and move them about the border of the screen. I believe that in Wasteland 2 something like this is possible, and I'm not sure how the UI resources are handled in PoE, but if it's relatively easy to allow these elements to be flipped vertically and relocated, I'd certainly like to try out some different arrangements. It might be nice to be able to move the characters vertically to the top-right, etc. Just a thought.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Hello all.

I love the reputation system. It's fantastic. Obsidian's decision to have dialogue options in most conversations that have different ways of saying (essentially) the same thing isn't new. The IE games had that kind of thing all the time for flavor. What I absolutely love is Obsidian's decision to attach role-playing mechanics to these previously-just-for-flavor dialogue choices. Now if you go around acting like an aggressive ass all the time, people will remember you as one. It's great.

What I don't love is the fact that the dialogue options not only tell you which type of reputation each option will increase (a must-have for player clarity in my opinion), but how severe the reputation increase is. So you'll see something like [Aggressive - Minor] next to a dialogue choice. This is a bit too much information, in my opinion. It changes what was previously a brilliant marriage of role-playing choices and mechanics into a mechanically-driven decision.

Now obviously the presence of this severity indicator doesn't ACTUALLY keep someone from role-playing with their choices - but in my opinion it breaks the immersion. Instead of being like "oh, I can be aggressive here, or I could try to be clever" the player goes "hmm, do I want a minor aggression reputation increase, or a minor cleverness reputation increase?". I'd love it if this severity indicator was removed or (even better) a toggleable option in the options menu. That way people could choose if they wanted to see it or not.

That's my $0.02. Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

Ah...they should still sticky the individual threads IMO. There aren't that many of them, and posters will be more likely to notice them this way.

I've come to instinctively ignore the very top sticky in forums anyway, as you can see :D

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Yeah, but isn't that a bit contradictory? Would you have noticed this thread if pinned? Also, I suggested the same thing, but Rosjberg (creator of this thread) said that then half the first page will be stickys, and that's no good, and it makes sense.

If they sticky 5-6 threads up top, there's less room for active conversations below on page 1.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I'm gonna post my solution poe's attribute system:

I've looked into this issue and I believe I have a simple solution to poe's attribute woes:

A) Might should not affect healing rate. Damage and fortitude defense is enough. Right now might is op. This will fix it.

B) Resolve should affect healing instead of might. Resolve is both under-powered and not useful enough for every class. This will fix it.

C) Perception needs to be given a very minor chance to increase your crit rate. I'd say about +0.25%. This will fix perception.

Done. Poe will now have balanced attributes.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

B) Resolve should affect healing instead of might. Resolve is both under-powered and not useful enough for every class. This will fix it.

So Resolve will only be useful to classes with access to healing?

Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for healers due to the healing boost.

before they would rush for might, but now it would be a tougher call.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.