Ogre Head not recognized/disappears

ctdavids

Question

OK, so I killed the ogre an picked up his head (on BBPriest).  It's possible I might not have had quests in my log at that point (see this bug: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67460-bug-lost-all-quests-upon-reloading-a-save/) as my quest log does not show him dead (although interestingly it DOES show my having talked to him in regards to the missing elf).

Anyway, I have the head in my inventory, but not with my main character.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

I can't turn in the quest. And when I tried to move the head to my main character, in case that mattered, it disappeared.  This is a fully reproduceable bug and I would love to upload the save. Except that it's 868KB which exceeds the amount I'm allowed to upload.

11 answers to this question

I think it may be related instead to the "take all" bug where using "take all" on quest items breaks whatever trigger they have that allows quests to be turned in.  Not sure.  I have been able to succesfully complete quests (for the first time, on my 5th playthrough) by manually dragging and dropping all quest items onto my main character.

I loaded in, skipped talking to Rumbald, killed the Ogre, and picked the Ogre Head up with BB Priest. I was able to turn in the quest just fine. Can you tell me how you are killing the Ogre (dialogue path) and what you did prior to entering the Ogre Cave?

I loaded in, skipped talking to Rumbald, killed the Ogre, and picked the Ogre Head up with BB Priest. I was able to turn in the quest just fine. Can you tell me how you are killing the Ogre (dialogue path) and what you did prior to entering the Ogre Cave?

I can't remember the exact path I took.  I asked about the girl first.  Then I believe I asked what he was doing in the cave.  I'm pretty sure I ended the conversation with the "you're a big strong ogre - you don't need this cave" conversation option, which resulted in him attacking me.  It's possible this is due to saving loading.  I definitely saved and quit the game while in the cave prior to fighting the ogre.  I may have loaded a game from within the game (i.e. without a full restart of the game client) as well, but I'm not sure.

I would note that quest items sit in the inventories of companions but when you give them to your main character, it's slotted into the "quest items" stash. So it's not disappearing, per se. But the quest itself may be bugged regardless.

Ah, you're right, it did go to the quest item tab.  I didn't even investigate that because I've had issues with items disappearing in other situations so I just assumed it was that.  My bad (although as you say it still doesn't turn in)

I can't remember the exact path I took.  I asked about the girl first.  Then I believe I asked what he was doing in the cave.  I'm pretty sure I ended the conversation with the "you're a big strong ogre - you don't need this cave" conversation option, which resulted in him attacking me.  It's possible this is due to saving loading.  I definitely saved and quit the game while in the cave prior to fighting the ogre.  I may have loaded a game from within the game (i.e. without a full restart of the game client) as well, but I'm not sure.

Same issue, and while I can't recall exactly the convo path I took or what I did there (I did a bunch of other stuff before trying to turn in the quest), I think I did pretty much the same thing as you (saved while in the cave, and loaded from in the game as well). Can't turn in the head.

Please note that I have posted another bug (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67573-quest-or-quest-items-bugged-cannot-complete/) with links to saved games from another playthrough where I yet again can't turn stuff in.  The link to the ogre head saved game is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74672307/PoE%20Bugs/Can%27t%20turn%20in%20ogre/6b44430218a64d308246d0c575513a74%20DyrfordVillage%207773548.savegame

After reading every ones responses, I'm almost positive this is related to the Save/Load issues we are having with the the Journal Updates disappearing. This issue is preventing quest completion. This is being resolved A.S.A.P. 

Thanks for the info guys.

Just tried to complete this quest...

Got the head using 'take all', but no journal update.  Went back to farmer, and no option to turn in head.  

This is what I was doing with my first couple characters (using 'Take All' button as well as loading saves from in-game). I couldn't turn in any quests, nor could I get the grappling hook to work (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you'll probably find it later).

Anyway, on my latest character I manually dragged every loot item into the inventory - never used 'Take All' - and loaded saves from the main menu only. I was able to turn in quests and use the grappling hook. Try it that way and see if it makes a difference. (You'll have to start a new run though).

• Like 1