Zooming in...

EZY

I play on 60' 4K TV and I sit about 10 feet away from the TV. I'm having a difficult time seeing the game because everything is too zoomed out. I use a touchpad and I can zoom out but I cannot zoom in. Is this a problem playing in 4K? I read somewhere that people said the game was too zoomed in and I'm having the opposite affect. 

I would like to see the "zoom in" capabilities upgraded.  Even just playing on 1920x1200 resolution it'd be nice to be able to zoom in and see the armor from a closer viewpoint.  I use the zoom a lot while playing BGEE and BG2EE to zoom in on the characters.

• Like 1

That won't happen. The backgrounds are prerendered, and maximum zoom is native resolution. Zoom in any more and it'll turn into mush.

Not on very high resolution monitors.  I understand that the backgrounds are 2D and zooming in will simply increase the pixel size of the base image but I'd still like to see it as an option for screens over 1080p.  The characters are already very tiny on my 2560x1600 screen.  I can only imagine how it looks on a 4K monitor.  

Maybe allow high zoom options only if the option is checked, similar to how Original Sin allows 360 degree camera rotation even though the game wasn't designed around it.

• Like 1

That won't happen. The backgrounds are prerendered, and maximum zoom is native resolution. Zoom in any more and it'll turn into mush.

No, it will happen. It has to happen. Mush or no, it is entirely inexcusable for the game to become less playable at higher resolutions. Right now, the only way to avoid this is to play the game at a non-native resolution, which I can guarantee will look worse than a built in scaler.

• Like 3

In 278, you can expand your zoom range with the SetZoomRange console command.  The default is SetZoomRange 1 1.5.  A zoom level of "1" would have the background at a one-to-one size.  A zoom level lower than "1" would be upscaling the backgrounds but might make you happier about the size of things.

• Like 11

In 278, you can expand your zoom range with the SetZoomRange console command.  The default is SetZoomRange 1 1.5.  A zoom level of "1" would have the background at a one-to-one size.  A zoom level lower than "1" would be upscaling the backgrounds but might make you happier about the size of things.

I set it as 0.5 2. Doesn't look bad, specially because I zoom in to look at the characters. Nice option.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I set it as 0.5 2. Doesn't look bad, specially because I zoom in to look at the characters. Nice option.

Agreed, it looks better than I thought it would.  

I did this. It made me happy.

• 1 month later...

I play in the maximum resolution possible, and I find the game to look its best when zoomed in to the greatest degree PoE permits. I do not feel greater zooming is necessary. This is a feature that I am very happy with. I acknowledge that this is an opinion. If you're having problems, it's probably because you're playing on a 60" television with a game developed exclusively for PC hardware.

• 5 months later...

The only addition I'd like is a hotkey to specify a 1:1 zoom level, regardless of your current scaling.  Is there a function for something like that?

It's in my backlog.

Was this feature added to the final game or is the setZoomRange console command still the only way to do it?

Edited by epmode