How To: Save output_log.txt and Find Saved Games

Sensuki

Question

I started a new game just before. Created a quick female orlan priest, rushed to the Dyrford Crossing and fought the first beetle encounter, then quit the game to check my Unity output_log.txt file to see what I could find.

I found the entries for the missing Female Wild Orlan Head (I think that's what they were)

Untitled.jpg

This also gives me a good indication of what is happening where at which stage in the log. These three lines are when I was on the character appearance screen. The next line under it says "dgdgdgdd has reached level 1!" which is the name of the character I made.

It appears that during character creation, you are actually present in the game level already because there is a lot of stuff going on and a lot of bugs related to the Dyrford area (and the CC screen) in my output_log.txt

Here are some examples:

This one is during combat:

Warning! Found an aura effect with no interval rate! Changing interval rate to Damage

These are all before I've done anything in the game, because I can see an entry below these where a Ranger character's Boar Companion in the Inn is leveling up, and all this stuff is happening before it.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UIWorldMapManager.UpdateIconPositions (.MapList mapList) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIWorldMapIcons.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The game appears to be failing to load assets several times in a row (do you see the wrong slash type in that line? \ instead of /)

Failed to load F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data\data_backerbeta/localized/en/text/game/factions.stringtable.

There's a small animation bug with the 3D Waterwheel:

The AnimationClip 'WW_Spin_Loop' used by the Animation component 'WaterWheel' must be marked as Legacy.

Missing string text:

Could not find string for Table text/game/abilities.stringtable ID 185 Package 1

Some item in the cape slot is not a cape item (likely an item on the BB characters)

Item assigned to 'Cape' slot is not marked for that slot.

Some issue with BB Wizard progression:

PresetProgression Error: Progression Table Name is not filled out. Companion_BB_Wizard(Clone)

Issue with BB Wizard Grimoire

Not enough spell levels in grimoire 'Grimoire_BB_01(Clone)': adding empty ones.

Bunch of missing strings (there's heaps of these):

Could not find string for Table text/game/maps.stringtable ID 3 Package 1

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!
(Filename:  Line: 1783)

And over one hundred more things

After looking at all the **** that prints out in the log, I am saving my output_log.txt every single time I quit because it overwrites the whole file every time you load the game.

Here is my log: http://www.upload.ee/files/4219242/output_log.txt.html

The PE Logfile path is \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 6

17 answers to this question

Great! Just one thing Sensuki....

Could you write out the folder path in your OP? (Thanks)

I also don't know where Save Files are located.

Prefab for 'CRE_Boar_Animal_Companion(Clone)' needs a Bestiary entry assigned.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Boar Companion has reached level 2!

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Class ability "Armored Grace" has been AutoGranted onto Boar Companion

Boar Companion has reached level 3!

Class ability "Hardened Veil" has been AutoGranted onto Boar Companion

Boar Companion has reached level 4!

Class ability "Predator's Sense" has been AutoGranted onto Boar Companion

Boar Companion has reached level 5!

Boar Companion has reached level 6!

But I have no Ranger in my party? (according to this list, this happened around when I turned in the quest to Lord Harond and got lvl 6)

Regardless, here's my outlog too.

It's 13 mb worth of .txt so I think this saves all information for all playthroughs and not just a single playthrough.

Edited by Osvir

Yep, done.

The PE Logfile path is \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Save everything, particularly when something happens that it shouldn't (such as inventory items disappearing).

• Like 1

It's 13 mb worth of .txt so I think this saves all information for all playthroughs and not just a single playthrough.

Nope, it's just that the game's concerned about the lost display device while it's minimized - and keeps logging that constantly.

This is a great post, so I am going to sticky it. If you run into crash bugs (or other strange behavior) please attach the \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt file along with your thread.

Also, if you need to attach a save, you can find them located at %appdata%\..\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves\.

I was planning on contributing a few issues I've run into with the beta, but when I went to make my first topic I noticed that I was limited to uploading only 1mb max, my savegames alone are each larger than 1mb (and I was intending to attach a savegame with each issue/thread I created). I assume I'm missing something here; should I be compressing the savegames or uploading them elsewhere and linking to them? Or is this perhaps a limit imposed on those that haven't started topics before?

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

For windows:

I wrote the following batch file to back up savegames and the output.txt to a folder prior to launching the game via steam.

This will save all *savegame and the output_log.txt to a new date-timestamped folder under a folder you specify in bkupfolder below. It's very simple and no compression but if you can implement this you can add compression pretty easily if you want to.

You can comment out the steam.exe launch line (prefix with two semicolons ::  ) if you just want to use this as an easy way to save on the fly.

@echo off
:: start editing
set bkupfolder=G:\PoE_Saves\
set Output="G:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt"
set SaveGameFolder=%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves\
:: stop editing 

For /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set mydate=%%c-%%a-%%b)
For /f "tokens=1-2 delims=/:" %%a in ('time /t') do (set mytime=%%a%%b)
set bkupfolder=%bkupfolder%_%mydate%_%mytime%\
xcopy %Output% "%bkupfolder%" /F /R /Y /I
xcopy "%SaveGameFolder%*.savegame" "%bkupfolder%"

G:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 317120
pause
Edited by khermann
  • Like 5

For windows:

I wrote the following batch file to back up savegames and the output.txt to a folder prior to launching the game via steam.

This will save all *savegame and the output_log.txt to a new date-timestamped folder under a folder you specify in bkupfolder below. It's very simple and no compression but if you can implement this you can add compression pretty easily if you want to.

You can comment out the steam.exe launch line (prefix with two semicolons ::  ) if you just want to use this as an easy way to save on the fly.

@echo off
:: start editing
set bkupfolder=G:\PoE_Saves\
set Output="G:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt"
set SaveGameFolder=%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves\
:: stop editing 

For /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set mydate=%%c-%%a-%%b)
For /f "tokens=1-2 delims=/:" %%a in ('time /t') do (set mytime=%%a%%b)
set bkupfolder=%bkupfolder%_%mydate%_%mytime%\
xcopy %Output% "%bkupfolder%" /F /R /Y /I
xcopy "%SaveGameFolder%*.savegame" "%bkupfolder%"

G:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 317120
pause

Nice!

I also don't know where Save Files are located.

Save files are located in: %appdata%\..\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves\

BTW, these are going to be changing in the next Backer Beta update (or possibly the one following the next one) to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!