My list of bugs/issues

Bli1942

Question

Hi, here's a list of bugs/issues I've combined over about an hour playing the beta before quest issues meant I had to restart. While some are big obvious bugs some are just minor annoyances I noticed that I think should be changed

1. There are menu options text disappearing in the options menu, this only occurs when I click "game" "sound" or "graphics", which results in the options sub-menu text disappearing, i can still click them but I just can't see the words (screenshot at the end)

2. Music stops after clicking 'new game' then starts up again after I've chosen difficulty and clicked next. Not a huge issue but seems weird to be silent during that selection screen.

3. Bird noises play throughout the character creation screen. There should just be music playing in this section, especially as my character was standing in a cave where there definitely wouldn't be birds!

4. There doesn't appear to be a way to go from the character creation screen back to the main menu, so you have to quit out or go into a game then return to the main menu

5. Is there supposed to be a "godlike" bodytype? There was none present on my screen, are they meant to be the same size as humans?

6. Attributes are quite confusing when you first start. "Might" as often been used as the opposite to magic in fantasy worlds, and it's definition is "possessing great strength" essentially. It was good to change this stat name from strength, but might is not a good choice either, as this stat actually benefits magic damage dealing a lot not just strength. "Intellect" says it helps AoE and durations, but these two effects are often synonymous with mage characters so I was unsure at the time whether, say, a warrior would even benefit from them. Resolve says it helps "concentration" and "will" but the player has no idea what concentration and will even do in the game at the point they are picking attributes, and once again, concentration seems like something a mage would need more than a crazy barbarian, they don't concentrate at all! But again the stat will benefit them. I think that a little clarification, and changing some of the attribute names would help here, even just a "all attributes benefit all classes" tagline would help people from thinking "WTF do I choose?!"

As for what to call "might", maybe "power" or something that doesn't specifically denote having great strength since this att. helps mages and healing

7. Portrait selection shouldn't be 1 at a time with an arrow across. There is a large screen either side of the characters where a grid of these portraits could be displayed so it is much easier to compare then scrolling through one at a time. Even if there's a large portrait at the top and a line underneath with the 2 either side of the currently selected would help. This was not even acceptable in the old games! Just irritating haha

8. Bird noises in the forest are very irritating. They are too repetitive and loud. I understand sound is probably one of the pieces of the development process that is easy to do towards the end so perhaps these are just placeholder. The other problem I noticed with the effects was that I could turn the birds to a level which made them a bit better, however when I entered a building such as the inn, I couldn't hear the fire or walla at all and had to turn it back up. On that point - in the inn, the person playing the lute didn't have a lute! And I think an indoor reverb on the music would suit better than having it as an offscreen soundtrack style of music

9. Dual monitor issue - the mouse doesn't stick inside the game so it's impossible to use mouse scrolling on the side that your second monitor is on. There are third party programs to fix this but an internal fix would be greatly appreciated!

10. The characters almost look see-through when you zoom out...like their colors are not striking enough against the beautiful backgrounds. They blend in, and in a lot of cases look like they are see-through until you zoom in as far as possible. This makes combat difficult and walking around a little unsatisfying as I continually check to see if they are actually see through or not! I am not sure on a fix, but perhaps a slight outline would help

11. No icons for each room were present when I was picking a room in the inn, instead there were white boxes

12. The main party member doesn't seem to lead all the time? Unless I specifically select another member, I feel like my character I created should always go and pick stuff up or talk to people. It seems whenever I click a new thing, a random party member will walk up to it instead of my main PC.

13. Quests disappear whenever I die and therefore load or just load normally. This stops me from re-picking up current quests, finishing quests or getting any more quests (I can still talk to NPC's and they will act like they are giving me a quest, but it doesn't show up)

14. Not sure if this is an issue you can handle as the devs or it's just Steam's problem, but it's a little irritating not being able to use the Steam interface to upload screenshots since the game isn't public, even though there's no NDA. I assume this can only be fixed by making the game public though

15. Font issues - some letters seem to be in a smaller size than others, but the same font (notice the "s" on save and "h" in graphics)

16. "Class unlocks" icons start a new row outside the background banner if you get more than 7 in that level

Hope nothing comes off as harsh, this is just what i noted down. I'll try get some screenshots up of the visual issues

4 answers to this question

5. Is there supposed to be a "godlike" bodytype? There was none present on my screen, are they meant to be the same size as humans?

If I understand correctly you first pick the Godlike option, then you go back and pick the race you want to be part of. This changes the body type.

As mentioned in another post, I agree with #6. We all understand AD&D stats, but those in PoE are quite different and frankly somewhat confusing. One suggestion: at character creation, display an updated list of attack and defense statistics, conversation modifiers, etc.

Edited by jimgagne

5. Is there supposed to be a "godlike" bodytype? There was none present on my screen, are they meant to be the same size as humans?

If I understand correctly you first pick the Godlike option, then you go back and pick the race you want to be part of. This changes the body type.

No. When you create a Godlike, you will be prompted to choose your body type. You don't have to "go back", it's part of the selection. It can't be missed, don't worry about it. Also, your choice of body type has (unfortunately, imo) no other effect than that.

So you pick Race->Godlike->Godlike Type (Deathlike, Naturelike, etc)->Body Type.

So you want to create a Nature Godlike Barbarian huge as an Aumaua? You can do that. You want to play a Moon Godlike thin as an elf? Can do.

t50aJUd.jpg