OE Communication Plans

Just wondering here.  Maybe I missed this along the way.  Does anyone know how OE plans to participate in this Beta experience?  Are there plans to summarize findings back to us periodically?  Will there be some sort of weekly blog posting or "official" list of issues they are looking into at some point?  Some sort of "hey all, this is what we're finding and working on ...etc."  Also, is there any expectation regarding beta builds?  Presuming the feedback we post is gathered, verified, designed, and coded (along with whatever else they were already working on), I could see weekly or bi-weekly beta builds.  Just curious if there's been any mention of this officially.

Sure would help add some structure to this whole public beta process.

• Like 4

Given the nature of the current feedback, if I were them (which I'm most certainly not), I would be planning on waiting at least a week, and maybe two, in the hopes that:

1) The amount of emotion involved in the discussions will have been reduced

2) With more playtime, some players may see the point of the innovations that have been introduced -- or, if that is too much to hope for, at least have more reasonable suggestions as to what needs to be changed.

I definitely wouldn't expect individual OE folks to be responding to the type of threads that are currently active, as any reasonable response would amount to pouring gasoline onto a ranging fire.

Edited by MReed
  • Like 4

I think an update / post from OE where they comment on most heated topics and issues people have, and maybe their take on if they have already plans about those issues would be ideal.

Edited by Trodat
  • Like 1

Given the nature of the current feedback, if I were them (which I'm most certainly not), I would be planning on waiting at least a week, and maybe two, in the hopes that:

2) With more playtime, some players may see the point of the innovations that are introduced -- or, if that is too much to hope for, at least have more reasonable suggestions as to what is improved.

I definitely wouldn't expect individual OE folks to be responding to the type of threads that are currently active, as any reasonable response would amount to pouring gasoline onto a ranging fire.

There are great threads that deserve some kind of response, also it would be foolish for them to expect everyone to be nice on the internet. They shouldn't wait for anything and respond to the constructive criticism of which there is plenty.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2) With more playtime, some players may see the point of the innovations that are introduced -- or, if that is too much to hope for, at least have more reasonable suggestions as to what is improved.

1 & 2) Insightful. I haven't been "WTF!?" a single time because I expect the game to be buggy, but I can tell for sure that "2" is very true. The game is much easier to play and understand after having played it and explored it for a bit. The muscle memory of my brain to constantly try and improve automatically makes the game more and more playable every time.

Bugs become an enemy (in a game sense), like the Beetles, and the way to defeat bugs becomes to report them and then to find solutions to either walk around them or fix them.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

The day the beta went out, everyone on the team still had a sizable list of issues and improvements to work on, half of which you guys have already pointed out. The leads and QA will go through suggestions and bugs and write up anything new that you guys have found that we want to address. QA specifically will attempt to reproduce new bugs mentioned and write up a more detailed issue for the proper team member to work on.

Once we have a noticeable amount of improvements in and we have ensured that the build is in a releasable condition, an update will be pushed. There are no hard dates planned for that but, more than likely you can expect an update every few weeks or so, at least early on.

• Like 17

Twitter: @robyatadero

Are there any devs willing (brave enough) to go in to the depths of hell (the forum threads) and discuss some of the things that are popular right now? Like inventory, xp system, attributes, UI, etc.

Are there any devs willing (brave enough) to go in to the depths of hell (the forum threads) and discuss some of the things that are popular right now? Like inventory, xp system, attributes, UI, etc.

I'd love to see that, but I'll understand if they don't do it.

Same here. It would be great if they felt they could pop in and at least acknowledge that they've noted suggestions/concerns but having seen developers just get bombed by posts and comments when that happens on other gaming forums I can understand why they might prefer to just quietly read and digest our discussions and then internally debate them in their own meetings. I am certain they've noted everything or there wasn't a point in putting out a beta. I can say that when I posted in a bug thread last night I got a response from  a developer within 5 mins of posting so they are around and right now they do need to be in the bug threads a bit more.

• Like 1

The day the beta went out, everyone on the team still had a sizable list of issues and improvements to work on, half of which you guys have already pointed out. The leads and QA will go through suggestions and bugs and write up anything new that you guys have found that we want to address. QA specifically will attempt to reproduce new bugs mentioned and write up a more detailed issue for the proper team member to work on.

Once we have a noticeable amount of improvements in and we have ensured that the build is in a releasable condition, an update will be pushed. There are no hard dates planned for that but, more than likely you can expect an update every few weeks or so, at least early on.

Great to have an answer, thanks! I think it'd be real good though if you could release an update as soon as you have some of the biggest issues fixed. By that, I mainly mean issues where items are disappearing and so forth because big issues like that are really blocking a lot of, well... testing right now. I really want to test combat out more but my Wizard's griomoire keep disappearing, as well as weapons.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Every now and again you'll see them commenting on a discussion. Read thru the different posts. The Devs are here.

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Thank you for the link.

Every now and again you'll see them commenting on a discussion. Read thru the different posts. The Devs are here.

Yeah, it would be really nice if this forum had a dev post tracker feature.

• Like 2

Thank you for the link.

http://pedevtracker.azurewebsites.net

It's not complete with all the devs (especially the new ones) but captures most of them.

• Like 5

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thank you for the link.

It's not complete with all the devs (especially the new ones) but captures most of them.

Thanks, I had been looking for something like that for a long time.

Thank you for the link.

Really nice man, thnanks. Hopefully you keep it updated.

Calibrating...

Thank you for the link.

Really nice man, thnanks. Hopefully you keep it updated.

I'm just an end user myself.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks for the response Roby!  I really appreciate you sharing this information with the community.  Makes good sense to be and I look forward to the next patch push.  Also nice to hear that many of the issues pointed out were already on a list.  I presumed that to be the case, but it is nice to have acknowledgement.  

Thanks!

• Like 3

I second this. It is great to see the developers communicating where they can with us. Just a thought, I know there was a pinned thread by BAdler about the know issues, but if the developers had the time could that thread be periodically updated with bugs that were found by developers/backers and being worked on. This would just keep us updated on what was happening in the background in response to our bug testing in the interim period between patches.

Keep up the good work, loving it so far! 

Whoever did this: THANK YOU. I was thinking about asking for one, either the Obsi board admins or the crowd... and lo and behold, there is already one! :)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding