Update schedule for the beta...is there any?

Audron

I like what I see in the game so far and you still have my full support, but for now I would just like to know how often do you plan to update the beta? In my case it is filled with bugs and it crashes often and honestly I cannot play it like this for more than 15 minutes. Yet I am sure that over time things will improve and I will be able to play it without these troubles. I am only curious how soon will that happen and in how many steps.

No there is no schedule since this was just released on Monday.  From what I have found, the largest issue with the game has to do with persistence with reloading saves.  If you load a save, then reload it, you are going to start running into problems in the game, missing journal entries, missing items, spawning pigs, vendor prices changing.  If they can get that nailed down, the whole beta should work a whole lot smoother and testing information a whole lot more useful.  You can circumvent a lot of problems by returning to the main menu and loading Save from there.  The crashes you are most likely encountering are most likely memory issues and leaks, again related to persistence between loading save games and new areas.  That shouldn't be overly difficult to fix, possibly time consuming for the coder but the game does seem to do a better job 'cleaning things up' returning to the Main Menu than it does when just loading a Save from a currently running game.

• Like 2

They should concentrate their efforts on fixing the crashes while starting New Game. Maybe I'll be able to finally play this beta, then.

Almost all the crashes I've seen with that problem are people running 32-bit operating system, meaning it is purely a memory issue.

Dev response here. No hard dates, but we should expect updates every few weeks.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

DxDiag.txt

Vril I use Win7 64 bit, so not all cases.

I had a look at your error logs, it still looks like it as a lack of memory.  How much do you have?  Posting a dxdiag in your bug thread might help.

Vril I have 4GB RAM on my laptop. Anyway, here's my dxdiag.

attachicon.gifDxDiag.txt

Vril I use Win7 64 bit, so not all cases.

I had a look at your error logs, it still looks like it as a lack of memory.  How much do you have?  Posting a dxdiag in your bug thread might help.

Vril I have 4GB RAM on my laptop. Anyway, here's my dxdiag.

I suspected as much, it is the same issue that 32-bit OS are having, they can only have a maximum of 4 GB and even though you have 64-bit, you only have 4 GB too.  The game is unoptimized memory wise at this point so isn't going to get far with that little memory.  The best you can do is shut down all other applications you have running on your PC other than Steam and PoEt and you might get a little further.  Surely this will be fixed at some point, will just have to wait til it is.  As I said in my original post, hopefully they start by fixing those issues, memory and persistence problems, will go a long way for them to get more beneficial information from testing.

• Like 2