Specific D.T. suppresses general D.T.

Doc V

Question

If a character has equipment that gives a bonus to D.T. and a larger bonus to D.T. against a specific damage type, the latter bonus will suppress the former, even though the former protects from more attacks.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Equip a character with any equipment that gives a bonus to Damage Threshold (e.g. Fine Breastplate)

2) Equip the same character with any equipment that gives a larger bonus against a specific damage type (e.g. the Nature's Embrace belt)

Expected behavior:

The specific D.T. bonus should only override the general one when the character takes damage of the specific type. In the current implementation, obtaining bonuses against certain elements can leave characters more vulnerable against all other damage types.

Attached:

Screenshots of the same same character's character sheet with and without the Nature's Embrace belt. Note how removing the belt increases the character's D.T.

post-84739-0-68331000-1408528843_thumb.jpg

post-84739-0-89239000-1408528847_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

This game has buff stacking suppression whereby only one buff will affect your character (the highest one). This is intended.

One buff per stat, yes. That's also what the OP claims. You're not arguing that it's intended that wearing a belt makes armor useless, are you?

I don't think it's meant that way. The belt should only override the breastplates DT in terms of fire and ice damage, not in terms of physical damage, as the OP claims.

The more important question is whether this is a just an error in displaying of the DT in the menu or if it also affects combat the way it is displayed.

This game has buff stacking suppression whereby only one buff will affect your character (the highest one). This is intended.

One buff per stat, yes. That's also what the OP claims. You're not arguing that it's intended that wearing a belt makes armor useless, are you?

I don't think it's meant that way. The belt should only override the breastplates DT in terms of fire and ice damage, not in terms of physical damage, as the OP claims.

The more important question is whether this is a just an error in displaying of the DT in the menu or if it also affects combat the way it is displayed.

Yeah, this is what I meant. If I'm wearing armor that gives me +2 DT and a belt that gives +5 DT against fire, I should have +5 DT (fire) / +2 DT (everything else). Instead I get +5 DT (fire) / +0 DT (everything else), since the belt effect suppresses the armor effect completely instead of just overriding it when applicable.

And yes, it seems to affect combat: it shows up in the combat log's damage breakdown and after running the same encounter a few times (my PC solo vs. 3 stone beetles, auto attack only, no player input) I seem to be pretty consistently taking more damage with the belt than without it (~50% of my character's stamina with the belt and ~40% without).

• Like 1