Tips to avoid the more annoying bugs in the beta [mini spoilers]

Headbomb

1) The boar next to Medreth (the guy right next to where you start) is bugged. Every time you enter/exit a building in this map, it will spawn another boar. It's easy to get 10 boars+ just by exploring the town, so resolve the quest as soon as possible. You will likely have to fight 2 boars (assuming you can't talk your way out of it), but it's better than 24. [Quickest path is talk to Medreth, Go to Inn (2nd Floor), take care of the situation there, and go back to Medreth].

2) Stacks and inventory is general bugged. NEVER STACK TWO ITEMS TOGETHER. If you have 2 stacks of carrots, combining them will make many of your items disappear. It might also cause other issues, or make other inventory bugs worse.

3) Some stats like DT are wonky and don't always get properly updated after you equip something. Closing/Opening your inventory will update the stats properly.

4) Sometimes, guys just stop moving and seem to get stuck. Waiting a few minutes seem to solve the problem. Save/Reloading doesn't help, so don't bother.

5) Sometimes after loading, or during loading, if feels like it's taking forever. The game might be autopaused without your knowledge. Try pressing the spacebar and see where that gets you.

• Like 19

Ah, that explained why I had to fight a boar mob, still won though....barely...there was like 12 of them. Thanks for the heads up. Also found that with your point 4, if it happens after exiting a building, re-entering and exiting again seems to fix it most of the time as well. 

Great game so far though. Glad we're all figuring out how to get around things.

1) The boar next to Medreth (the guy right next to where you start) is bugged. Every time you enter/exit a building in this map, it will spawn another boar. It's easy to get 10 boars+ just by exploring the town, so resolve the quest as soon as possible. You will likely have to fight 2 boars (assuming you can't talk your way out of it), but it's better than 24. [Quickest path is talk to Medreth, Go to Inn (2nd Floor), take care of the situation there, and go back to Medreth].

2) Stacks and inventory is general bugged. NEVER STACK TWO ITEMS TOGETHER. If you have 2 stacks of carrots, combining them will make many of your items disappear. It might also cause other issues, or make other inventory bugs worse.

3) Some stats like DT are wonky and don't always get properly updated after you equip something. Closing/Opening your inventory will update the stats properly.

4) Sometimes, guys just stop moving and seem to get stuck. Waiting a few minutes seem to solve the problem. Save/Reloading doesn't help, so don't bother.

5) Sometimes after loading, or during loading, if feels like it's taking forever. The game might be autopaused without your knowledge. Try pressing the spacebar and see where that gets you.

1) If you directly do the Quest (Merdreth -> Defeat Nyfre (Fight) -> Back to Merdreth) no additional boars are spawned. I believe this is tied to the church, and the "new game spawn region" might be placed on top of the "church exit spawn region".

2) Thanks! Then I understand why that happened.

3) Thanks.

4) If this happens in combat, when switching weapons, "Save/Load" solves the problem for me.

5) Thanks, haven't encountered that but good to know.

Added:

6) Try experimenting with Auto-Pause options, it helps the flow, feel and comprehension of combat and the transition between out of combat and in combat.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Thanks for a great post. :)

Though with point 4 i did find save / reload did work at least one of the times one of my characters  was stuck.

The disappearing items and quests i had no idea why that was happening before this.

More stuff:
1) Whenever you Save/Load the game becomes more instable. Try playing without Saving/Loading and see how far you get, take notes of everything you do, where you go, what you click etc. etc. Before Quitting, Save Game and send it to the Bug Reports forum (granted you have a bug to report). It might be good for Obsidian to simply get as much data from different Players as well to build (possibly) a digital heat map.

2) Wizards are buggy and you can't cast the Tier-2 or Tier-3 spells you get when leveling up (Character Generated Tier-1 Spells function though), sometimes their Grimoire disappears.

Temporary fixes for "2)"
3a) You can duplicate Items in the Inventory by "double-clicking" them to Un-Equip. If you spawn without a Grimoire, use the BB Wizard's Grimoire to get another one.
3b) Go into the Grimoire as your Main Wizard, remove all the Spells in the Grimoire and replace with your own. Now you can test your own Wizards build, but BB Wizard won't be able to cast spells anymore (who cares about him now though, been playing with him lots). More info here.

Edited by Osvir

Bump and additional entry:

Save games:
- FIRST OF ALL: I have no idea if this works or helps in any way.
- I attempted something "old school", something you have to do if modding the Infinity Engine games.
- You had to save in the beginning of the game, then quit, before applying mods.
- So I made one Save File in Pillars of Eternity on each difficulty just as you start the game.

Attachment (Dropbox)

1. Simply download the Zip pack. (Contains 7 save files, "Easy", "Normal", "Hard", "Damned", "Easy+Trial", "Easy+Expert", "Easy+Both")
2. Open up the pack into your save file (All characters are named "Easy Tester" "Normal Tester" etc.) 
3. Save file directory: C:\Users\[USERNAME HERE]\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves
4. The characters are worthless, I picked a race/class and then went "Next next next next"~ 2-3 minute character class builds. They aren't meant to be played with, they are just in the save file folder for potential data/code management.

Thoughts behind this solution:

- I feel that the game becomes more and more stable each time I play (Compared to Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc.). So I must be doing something right? Or Obsidian is throwing in small small code adjustments whilst we are playing (into the beta build).

- When I tried to play a Path of the Damned play (with Trial+Expert checked) the game broke (I could not Load/New game, re-booting the game did not work either, no difficulty worked). When I deleted the Damned save file, everything began working again.

- So I thought "Save files must affect the core code somehow", so if I have a save file in the Save File directory... then the game might load all the areas better, or something... somehow? That's what I'm thinking at the very least~ I suspect (From my Damned game), that the code is looking into the data of save files when the game is running or trying to run.

Report back in this thread if you experience any "boosts" with this save pack.

Anybody managed to get to the ritual/torture chamber in Dyrwood Ruins. I have two keys Skull Key and Old Dungeon Key but none opens any of the doors to that chamber. I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but I'm wondering if someone has managed to circumvent it somehow...

Close by, if we're talking about the same crypt. If he's not appearing next to it, then that is bugged.

I'm talking about Dyrwood Ruins, You can get there from two different places, the closest entrance to the ritual chamber being using the entrance near the ogre cave. It's full of cultists. Is it the same place you're referring to?

Bump and additional entry:

Save games:

--stuff--

Loading those attached saves actually introduced a few new bugs into my game; it was the first time I experienced the wizard's grimoire disappearing.

Deleting all save files seems to have cleared up a bug where encounters weren't ending properly if I died really quickly.