Sensuki's Suggestions #006: I re-wrote the CC Class Ability Descriptions

Sensuki

Noticed today in character creation that the class ability descriptions were a bit inconsistent in formatting. Descriptions have strange grammar and missing information. Instead of pointing out suggestions I thought I'd just re-write them all considering you have exposed the string files for the game.

My re-writes are not perfect, but in most cases they are probably better. I have tried to add consistent formatting, attempted to use better and more consistent grammar, clearer wording and even added in some missing information.

I put more effort into the first strings I did, the Wizard one took me over an hour to re-do as the current blob of text is a clusterfuq. Mine is still a giant blob of text but I think it displays the relevant information a bit clearer, YMMV.

I do not know all of the ability mechanics like the back of my hand, so some (Chanter, Cipher, Druid etc) may need some more upfront information. I noticed that the Spiritshfit Druid ability is missing it's casting limitation. I haven't created a Druid yet so I'm not sure what their starting Spiritshift is, but I think it's 1/day or something.

The Chanter really needs an expanded description about Phrases, such as being able to learn them upon level up and finding them in the world. I didn't re-write those as I'm not 100% clear on the exact mechanics.

Here is my gui.stringtable file 

http://www.upload.ee/files/4218552/gui.stringtable.html

You can back up your original file and replace it with this one if you want to use my changes in your game. 
Feel free to correct my mistakes if I made any.

And obviously, feel free to use any of the text in the game.

Here are some previews:

B1.jpgCH1.jpg

CI1.jpgCI2.jpg

D1.jpgD2.jpg

F1.jpgM1.jpg

M2.jpgP1.jpg

PR1.jpgPR2.jpg

R1.jpgR2.jpg

RO1.jpgW1.jpgW2.jpg

W3.jpg

Previous Suggestions:

Item Descriptions / Contextual UI

Area Map Functions
Main UI / Tooltip Stuff
Selection Circles, Targeting Indicators
Disable Vertical Sync

Previous Discussions:

Combat Feels: Activness, Speed and Pace

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 10

By the way, the description text pane in the character creation could be made wider and longer, maybe 10-15% size increase. There's a lot of wasted space on the right side of the CC that could be used to get more text into the screen at once, rather than having to scroll down.

I love the background sure, but it's dead space.

Priest1.jpg

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

Seriously Sensuki; just work for Obsidian. You're clearly talented enough.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Changed the Barbarian Wild Sprint description as it had a grammatical mistake. However I removed the "evocative language" that Josh Sawyer likes to use about the Wild Sprint and replaced it with a more practical description that better fits the grammatical style I used. This may or may not be your preference, YMMV.

New gui.stringtable: http://www.upload.ee/files/4218616/gui.stringtable.html

B22.jpg

edit: actually that's bad too, let me re-do it.

edit2: There we go.

Edited by Sensuki

Nice work dude!

My prediction? Sensuki will end up getting hired by Obsidian like some of the fans on the Tex Murphy forums did for Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure  :yes:

Keep up the good work

Edited by kozzy

Did you try square brackets on b for bold?

I heard they were using ngui for the gui and that's the basic formatting for ngui labels.

OBV it might be old info or not work at all, but it's worth a try.

Edited by happyelf

Since the starting abilities and functionality of classes have been constantly modified during the project, these descriptions were not added in until just before the backer beta. They still need a proper formatting pass (including the newlines, bolds, and color tags). However, feel free to continue editing them as you see fit and we can always use those as potential reference when we clean these up.

• Like 10

Twitter: @robyatadero

Since the starting abilities and functionality of classes have been constantly modified during the project, these descriptions were not added in until just before the backer beta. They still need a proper formatting pass (including the newlines, bolds, and color tags). However, feel free to continue editing them as you see fit and we can always use those as potential reference when we clean these up.

If it saves a couples hours of development time that could be used elsewhere, gladly.

• Like 3

New stringtable file: http://www.upload.ee/files/4218628/gui.stringtable.html

Changed the first sentence of Priest spells and Druid spells

Changed a few inconsistent capital letters of class names

Changed Chanter to Chanters in the Ancient Memory description

Feel free to contribute your own suggestions to my additions here.

• Like 1

If it saves a couples hours of development time that could be used elsewhere, gladly.

Sensuki is now helping Obsidian develop poe. Obsidian should hire him to work on the expansion.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Sensuki: I've just begun to browse through the string table of yours, and I found this:

"<Entry>
      <ID>493</ID>
      <DefaultText>Wild Orlans are the "original" orlans who lived in the deepest forests and jungles between the tropics. While they have only been significantly separated from Hearth Orlans for a thousand years, a few genetic differences have appeared rapidly, most notably a lack of facial hair in the Hearth Orlan branch. Wild orlans are common in the deep reaches of Eir Glanfath. Unlike their Hearth Orlan brethren, they are not often seen in the Dyrwood, Readceras, or the Vailian Republics."

Both "the 'original orlans" and "Wild orlans are common" should be with a capital O, no? "Original Orlans", "Wild Orlans"...

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

"<Entry>
      <ID>1477</ID>
      <DefaultText>All rangers form a strong spiritual connection with a single creature, their animal companion. This connection allows rangers and their companions to coordinate attacks and efficiently take down prey. In most situations, the companion runs interference while the ranger attacks at range."

What exactly is "runs interference"? Is it the same as "intercepts"?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I tried to add them. <b></b> broke every string in the game. <strong></strong> doesn't break the strings, but also doesn't show up in the game.

Unity's rich text format uses following tags, if you want to try them.

Supported tags are: <color="htmlcolor">colored text</color>, where "htmlcolor" is a html color string, like "#ff0000" or "red". <b>bold text</b> <i>italic text</i> <size=20>sized text</size> These are only supported for fonts set to use dynamic font rendering, except for the 'color' tag.

EDIT: I tested them my self and they don't work.

Edited by Elerond

"<Entry>
      <ID>504</ID>
      <DefaultText>

Starting Abilities:
Stunning Blows (Active) - Attacks from the monk's melee weapons can cause a Stun effect and small amount of damage. Targets Fortitude. Cost: 1 Wound.

</DefaultText>"

It should read "...and a small amount of damage".

<Entry>
      <ID>500</ID>
      <DefaultText>

Starting Abilities:
Carnage (Passive) - When barbarians hit with melee attacks, they target nearby enemies within a short distance of the target with reduced-damage cleave attacks."

The description of Carnage feels awkward. Any raging barbarian wouldn't really "target" enemies with cleave attacks. Rather, it's an effect of their ferocity and power when swinging like madmen and madwomen.

Here's my suggestion:

"When barbarians hit a target with a melee attack, they strike any nearby engaged enemies as well - cleave attacks that cause lesser damage."

Sorry if it was asked before, couldn't see it anywhere else. Why is there a strange parabola in the game text connecting the letters s and t (when they are next to each other)?

It distracts me from reading the text. Initially I thought it was a glitch or something, but it is an intentional thing it seems. What is the reason to have such a thing?