disappearing inventory items

thurgood

Question

My inventory has somehow begun losing items.

When looting stuff it shows my inventory on all characters as full, but a couple of the characters have open slots when viewing the inventory screen directly.

If I try to move something from the party stash into one of those slots the item disappears from the stash, but the character's inventory slot still appears empty for all intents and purposes.

I can send in a saved game if this will help, or I if there're any console commands to maybe see what's going on I can check that from here.

• Like 2

12 answers to this question

I'm also experiencing this behavior. Lost the Ogre's Blood due to this bug, and have lost a few minor items as well. I can't swear to it (will have to try testing later), but it seems to me it only occurred (for me, anyway) in the character's first inventory slot.

Update: This does not occur in only the first slot. Further testing has revealed this will happen in any slot, Not sure of the conditions yet, but I have noticed it will invariably occur if the game reports a character's inventory is full but there still appears to be empty slots. Anything dragged into those slots will disappear for good.

I found when I move items around my inventory is  when they just disappear. I'm not sure if this is part of the same thing but I've noticed my quests disappear from my quest log.

I've just started the game and the first quest popped up but after I reloaded from a death there was no quest in my journal.

I think its related to save/load fealture, I am missing items after load saved games

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hello all,

Thank you for your postings. There are a few things should be known or that might be causing these issues:

First off, we have a known issue where if you load a game, any items that are looted by a companion that should immediately be placed elsewhere, such as: Currency, Crafting items, Quest items, and Camping Supplies, will instead be placed in the companion's inventory. When this happens you can move the item into the player character's inventory and it will then move itself to its proper location.

Next is the concern with full inventories. Anytime you attempt to loot an item while you have no inventory space for it to go into, the item will automatically be placed in the stash. This can sometimes be missed as there aren't any SFX or notifications given at this time to indicate that this is happening.

Also, there is another known issue being mentioned here that we are working to resolve. This bug causes a character's maximum available inventory slots to be decreased. This makes it so that the last 1 or more slots in the character's inventory appear to be available, but when you place an item in them, the item will move elsewhere or to the stash.

Finally, Chilloutman mentions an issue with items being missing after loading saved games. This is a well known bug that is one of our top priority at this time. Loading a game from the main menu has been known to cause this bug to occur less often.

We are hoping to resolve many of these issues in future backer updates.

Thank you all for your ongoing support during the beta!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Finally, Chilloutman mentions an issue with items being missing after loading saved games. This is a well known bug that is one of our top priority at this time. Loading a game from the main menu has been known to cause this bug to occur less often.

This is a widespread gamebreaking bug that not only kills your hard-earned items, but makes the game impossible to progress by killing quest items. Making gameplay a painful experience.

This is a widespread gamebreaking bug that not only kills your hard-earned items, but makes the game impossible to progress by killing quest items. Making gameplay a painful experience.

It's only a beta though, and this is why we're playing it: ti catch these kinds of bugs. :)

Hello all,

Thank you for your postings. There are a few things should be known or that might be causing these issues:

First off, we have a known issue where if you load a game, any items that are looted by a companion that should immediately be placed elsewhere, such as: Currency, Crafting items, Quest items, and Camping Supplies, will instead be placed in the companion's inventory. When this happens you can move the item into the player character's inventory and it will then move itself to its proper location.

Next is the concern with full inventories. Anytime you attempt to loot an item while you have no inventory space for it to go into, the item will automatically be placed in the stash. This can sometimes be missed as there aren't any SFX or notifications given at this time to indicate that this is happening.

Also, there is another known issue being mentioned here that we are working to resolve. This bug causes a character's maximum available inventory slots to be decreased. This makes it so that the last 1 or more slots in the character's inventory appear to be available, but when you place an item in them, the item will move elsewhere or to the stash.

We are hoping to resolve many of these issues in future backer updates.

Thank you all for your ongoing support during the beta!  :thumbsup:

The items are not going to the stash or elsewhere, unless you consider the bitbin to be "elsewhere".  I was trying to move items out of the stash and all other slots were either full or phantom slots.. so I was watching the stash at the time. When moving into a phantom slot the items simply are gone.

In my case the slots are not limited to 1 or the last positions. bb_mage has 3 missing slots. My main has 2 non-contiguous slots that are black holes for items

The items are not going to the stash or elsewhere, unless you consider the bitbin to be "elsewhere".  I was trying to move items out of the stash and all other slots were either full or phantom slots.. so I was watching the stash at the time. When moving into a phantom slot the items simply are gone.

In my case the slots are not limited to 1 or the last positions. bb_mage has 3 missing slots. My main has 2 non-contiguous slots that are black holes for items

Hmm. There may be an issue that we aren't aware of, or it may be nested in the bug that creates these phantom slots. I will see if this is still occurring on our current build.

Thank you for the information!  :lol:

I also experience this, though i had no problems whatsoever with this until i loaded a savegame, before that everything was fine. Also missing quickbars for spell/abilities after loading on main character. Also could not move main character after he awoke from death until i restarted the game.

Edited by Siomir

This appears to be resolved in beta 278 (even in old saved games that already exhibited the issue)

I would disagree. I purchased both grappling hooks today (post patch) and placed them in slot 2 and slot 3 of my PC.  By the time I got to the dragon egg they were gone. Every save file I had included them missing or I would attach a before/after combination.  It is certainly possible they were lost on loading as I have been doing plenty of that to test various different things.

I also lost the OH on a secondary weapon set early on, but I believe that is a known issue.