More like BG2 please

Kronos

I don't think that trash mobs should be any easier as they currently are, because they barely offer any challenge in easy and normal difficulties, only most fool hardly run-ins can cause you lose party members and even possibility for that is quite low when you have equipped your party with somewhat better gear. Especially firearms charge annihilates most trash mobs in seconds.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 5

I don't think that trash mobs should be any easier as they currently are, because they barely offer any challenge in easy and normal difficulties, only most fool hardly run-ins can cause you lose party members and even possibility for that is quite low when you have equipped your party with somewhat better gear. Especially firearms charge annihilates most trash mobs in seconds.

How difficult they are shouldn't be judged simply by, "can I beat them without taking a lot of damage." You also need to consider how much effort is needed to beat them without taking much damage.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

How difficult they are shouldn't be judged simply by, "can I beat them without taking a lot of damage." You also need to consider how much effort is needed to beat them without taking much damage.

My party take only minor if any damage to beat all the trash mobs in the beta and I didn't need to use special abilities or spell in most of the fights (This was after I equipped them with that level equipment that your party probably should actually have in that time of the game). I actually didn't need rest even one time in my last run. So I would still say that making them easier isn't thing that I would recommend.

When comparing them some of trash mobs from BG, like basilisks, sirens, vampiric wolves, these trash mobs aren't even worth of mention in difficulty scale IMO.

Edited by Elerond

My party take only minor if any damage to beat all the trash mobs in the beta and I didn't need to use special abilities or spell in most of the fights (This was after I equipped them with that level equipment that your party probably should actually have in that time of the game). I actually didn't need rest even one time in my last run. So I would still say that making them easier isn't thing that I would recommend.

On normal? You must have been taking advantage of the weapon swapping mechanic or something. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Set your fighter to passive tank everything, use one of the aoe heals with your priest. Congratulations you now have won the game with using one ability, starter gear and never using pause. Works on hard, normal, whatever. The combat is extremly easy in this game right now.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

I think there's something a bit messed up here, because I seem to be finding encounters a lot easier after a while than at the beginning, and it's not because I'm playing more tactically. If anything I'm playing less tactically, and relying mostly on auto-attack; I also have bad weapons because of the item-disappearing bug, and yet enemies are going down so much faster that I'm wondering if some saving/loading bug is making my characters secretly more powerful. I know my main character's def, fort, ref, and will are all listed as over 4700, though that might be just a display bug, and the offensive stats look more sensible.

Strangely, I find some encounters to be easier on Normal difficulty than on Easy. Especially the Beetles are easier on Normal.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

On normal? You must have been taking advantage of the weapon swapping mechanic or something. 

Scouting is very powerful tool as it gives your party ability to move in optimal place to launch assault and with firearms you can drop 1-3 enemies before they even can make first action and then your front liners can easily stop those that are left until next volley and then there isn't usually any enemies left.

Yeah, but I suspect they're going to fix some of that. Firearms (specifically the rifles) are overpowered. I doubt they were supposed to be as universally effective as they turned out to be in this beta. Look for josh and crew to tone them down a few notches.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Scouting is very powerful tool as it gives your party ability to move in optimal place to launch assault and with firearms you can drop 1-3 enemies before they even can make first action and then your front liners can easily stop those that are left until next volley and then there isn't usually any enemies left.

I didn't know guns were so OP. One of the few things I didn't try.

I think there's something a bit messed up here, because I seem to be finding encounters a lot easier after a while than at the beginning, and it's not because I'm playing more tactically. If anything I'm playing less tactically, and relying mostly on auto-attack; I also have bad weapons because of the item-disappearing bug, and yet enemies are going down so much faster that I'm wondering if some saving/loading bug is making my characters secretly more powerful. I know my main character's def, fort, ref, and will are all listed as over 4700, though that might be just a display bug, and the offensive stats look more sensible.

Same here. Playing on normal and the beatles were challenging but after that I beat every encounter (including spider queen and ogre) by "select all + lift click"

Guest Guest01

Hate to be critical in my first forum post, but I'm inclined to agree with the OP on the character models. I was really expecting something a bit more like this (in terms of style, not pixels).

jfheTAR.jpg

As they are now, the character models are just too rigid.

Hate to be critical in my first forum post, but I'm inclined to agree with the OP on the character models. I was really expecting something a bit more like this (in terms of style, not pixels).jfheTAR.jpg

As they are now, the character models are just too rigid.

I'm sure it's something they'll fix up in the near future. I'm more interested in the game having more atmosphere. Hopefully it's because they took out everything that would spoil the game and just put in the generic stuff.

This is a forum for people to express there opinions in a polite manner. There are a lot of very rude and distasteful postings on this thread for both sides of the argument, this is unfortunately not the appropriate behaviour. Regardless of the direction that Obsidian take the onus is on us to express our views and concerns in a more mature and responsible manner.

Please be civil to each other.

Edited by Kronos

Guest Guest01

I'm sure it's something they'll fix up in the near future.

I hope so, indeed. Though, I'm also concerned about clothing/armor which seem either too barbaric or too Renaissance. This is just wrong. This has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.

I'm more interested in the game having more atmosphere.

Second! Candlelit taverns with hooded bounty hunters lurking around.

I'm sure it's something they'll fix up in the near future.

I hope so, indeed. Though, I'm also concerned about clothing/armor which seem either too barbaric or too Renaissance. This is just wrong. This has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.

I'm more interested in the game having more atmosphere.

Second! Candlelit taverns with hooded bounty hunters lurking around.

We're definitely on the same page. Let's see what the Beta update has in store for us when it comes. For the USD250 that I backed I'm certainly hoping for some substantial improvements.
  • Like 1

Why would it need to have something to do with Baldur's Gate? They're making an IE like game in a new (Renaissance) setting. It's not intended to have a setting/world that is exactly similar to BG. The idea was to have a slightly different (fresh) take on a fantasy world. So they ended up with colonialism, renaissance, slavery, souls, early firearms etc.

Edited by Frusciante

I hope they keep going more or less the way the beta suggests they are. D20 is, in my experiences, a horrible system for anything trying to be more than a dungeon crawl, and translates especially poorly into a cRPG of this type. This new system is interesting. Not perfect, but that's why we're all beta testing. And I am overjoyed that the attribute system isn't based off random rolls. If you don't like it, just pretend you rolled the best number of points and just saved hours of tedious clicking.

Fighters in particular were awfully dull in Baldur's Gate. They walked over to an enemy and hit them. And then they hit them again. Any ability they had was at the mercy of whatever piece of clothing bestowed it, to be lost as soon as something with a better AC came along. I much prefer having fighters that can knock opponents, or decide to fight extra defensively, or what have you, regardless of what magical codpiece they're wearing. Yes, there's some more micromanaging involved. I'm ok with that. I was bored to tears watching BG fighters just stand there swinging a sword until someone fell over. 

I'm optimistic about what's been shown so far. When the AI and feedback have been polished up as promised (and hopefully the auto-attack cooldown times reduced to something actually happens when you're not using abilities), I think the combat will be pretty freaking sweet tbh. And frankly, Forgotten Realms bores the hell out of me, a brand new setting that breaks away from some of the tired old clichés is exactly what I wanted.

Edited by Sarky
  • Like 2

I'm just gonna post a quote from codex, that perfectly describes my feelings with the beta at the moment.

I dislike the system and I think it will be a major turn-off to those expecting a D&D-like experience, but I think it can be fixed to the point where it doesn't suck as much as does right now. Because right now, it sucks major balls.

The reason why the system feels so much different than in IE games? It doesn't actually describe your character - at all. It merely allows you to make different mechanical variations which are in theory all balanced (my spells do less damage, but have a larger radius, etc). In practice, it can be min/maxed just as much as D&D can, but with an added level of blandness which comes from all stats being useful to all characters. Balance should not be the ultimate goal in RPGs; fun should take precedence.

I think the bolded part is especially important and it's what made the IE games what they are.

I hate Sawyer's obsession with balance, this is a single player game and not an mmo. The overpowered items, class combinations and spells are what made it fun. I mean balance is all well and good, untill gameplay suffers because of it.

This is a roleplaying game, and right now the attributes being what they are, I can't even make a proper character from a roleplaying perspective. How the hell do I make a physically weak but intelligent wizard? Right now it's not possible, because the current attribute system just doesn't work at all.

I don't think every class should be able to do everything, this is a party based game after all. Why make a fighter have the same number of active abilities/spells as a wizard, when you're controlling them both. This isn't WoW, classes don't need to do every role, each class should have a role in a party, they should be balanced with a party in mind and not how they perfom by themselves.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 1

How the hell do I make a physically weak but intelligent wizard?

1. Select Wizard as a class

2. Dump Might and Pump Intellect

Shazam, you have a skinny nerd in a dress who throws around fireballs.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How the hell do I make a physically weak but intelligent wizard?

1. Select Wizard as a class

2. Dump Might and Pump Intellect

Shazam, you have a skinny nerd in a dress who throws around fireballs.

From what I understand Might equals soul power and not physical strength. Soul power increases the damage of spells, makes sense.

Why does it increase physical strength? Why the hell would there be an attribute that increases physical strength and spell damage rolled into one? Just seems like bad design to me, or maybe I'm just missing something here...