More like BG2 please

Kronos

They have repeatedly stated that you could make "passive" melee characters if you so choose. This is not possible yet (probably) because the talent tree is incomplete. Do not worry, you guys will be able to select your melee characters, click on an enemy to attack and go grab a soda when all is said and done. This great and noble IE gameplay, will, I am sure, be once again possible.

Ah the glorious and enduring positivity of Shevek. God bless you Shevek, you are the sunbeams in an otherwise abhorrent wasteland.

Just played it for about an hour and was killed by bugs. When fighting lions, the BBwizard failed to cast fire ball and my Paladin froze.

I did manage to beat the fight with the group of gangsters by the church though. Other than the boar(where ch I thought was supposed to die when it's master did), it felt challenging and pushed my party management skills, like BG2 with SCS. Will have to wait until bugs are purged until I can adequately judged the combat system, but it feels good when it works. Love slow and fast modes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They have repeatedly stated that you could make "passive" melee characters if you so choose. This is not possible yet (probably) because the talent tree is incomplete. Do not worry, you guys will be able to select your melee characters, click on an enemy to attack and go grab a soda when all is said and done. This great and noble IE gameplay, will, I am sure, be once again possible.

What an Odd comment from the same poster who earlier on this thread complained about the 'tedium' of Mage battles in BG2.

What happens if you click on a hostile mage in bg2 then go grab a soda? I'll tell you what happens. You'll come back to find the reload screen waiting for you.

• Like 1

Mage battles were crap because they were nothing but a bunch of breaches, dispels and time stops. It was tracer-buster-buster crap. It was a ****ty system of "protections" that made everyone else in the party a bunch of chumps with thumbs squarely up their asses. 

Edit:

Also, to be clear, just because I dislike aspects of the ie games does not mean I dislike the ie games. I just thought that they could be improved on. I am pretty happy that the Obsidian team decided to move the genre forward and make **** better. Again, they promised the FEELING of the old games NOT a carbon copy. Frankly, I am pleased. If you are not, I might suggest individual threads of specific CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. This convoluted thread ("More like BG2"... lol, nice, both overly vague and overly general) is little more than a huge pile of steaming flame bait.

Edited by Shevek

Mage battles were crap because they were nothing but a bunch of breaches, dispels and time stops.

And this is in sharp contrast to Beetle battles in PoE which are nothing but a bunch of....standard attacks and maybe some poison.

Good point!

Actually, this argument goes pretty comprehensive in PoE's demo. As I don't recall combat being very tactically diverse it it. There really isn't a relevant difference between a lion, a stone beetle, and a widowmaker spider in terms of combat diversity

Quick: tell me all the types of special attacks the Skein cultists have.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Mage battles were crap because they were nothing but a bunch of breaches, dispels and time stops. It was tracer-buster-buster crap. It was a ****ty system of "protections" that made everyone else in the party a bunch of chumps with thumbs squarely up their asses. 

BG2 had the best mage battles in any RPG ever.

And they were much more complex than the way you described them.

Edited by Helm
  • Like 4

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Frankly, I am pleased. If you are not, I might suggest individual threads of specific CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. This convoluted thread ("More like BG2"... lol, nice, both overly vague and overly general) is little more than a huge pile of steaming flame bait.

I have already done so in the form of my difficulty thread where I argue that enhancing the trash mobs' strength both moves poe from the IE games and creates a screwed up difficulty curve. My solution is to lower their hp by 10%.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So, spending a few rounds to get rid of a bunch of stoneskins, immunities, ad spell mantles is somehow better?

You mad bro? Did Lonk the Sane kill your cleric with his finger of death in Spell Hold, so you've decided to hold some 14 year old grudge against Mage battles in BG2?

<sigh> What you are describing happens to be just a small part of the *unmatched* tactical depth of BG2's combat. And you are so very mistaken regarding the options a party has in BG2's mage battles. Breech isn't needed when your Paladin has Carsomyr. Stoneskin does not need to be dispelled when your Fighter is improved hasted and he's dual-wielding Stone fire and the flail of the ages. Spell mantle does not overcome a summoned Aerial Servant. etc.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 6

I don't get some of you people. This game feels a lot like the IE games, sure there are differences, but it would be pointless to just make a copy of Baldur's Gate 2.

This game has enough differences to make it feel fresh and fun, but enough similarities to give me all those nostalgic feels.

• Like 5

I'm still failing to see how PoE combat resembles anything remotely like the last *ahem* too many years of playing MMO's. BG2 had real time combat with pause to execute actions, so does PoE... Yes the combat pacing in PoE is completely borked right now, but once they tweak it, and provide better feedback as to which action was clicked, I can't see how they differ. Please note here I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, I just honestly can't see the difference.

• Like 1

I'm still failing to see how PoE combat resembles anything remotely like the last *ahem* too many years of playing MMO's. BG2 had real time combat with pause to execute actions, so does PoE... Yes the combat pacing in PoE is completely borked right now, but once they tweak it, and provide better feedback as to which action was clicked, I can't see how they differ. Please note here I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, I just honestly can't see the difference.

Wait a minute. This is an honest question because it seriously interests me and it would make a huge difference in my argument.

Combat pacing in PoE is demonstrably "borked" as you say (lets call it what it is: it's an action-packed mess) But I've not seen a single developer even HINT that they think it's something that needs to be fixed. In fact, I'm under the impression that it's very much the design intention, since they deliberately gave us Fast forward and slo-mo buttons.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

"Mage battles were crap because they were nothing but a bunch of breaches, dispels and time stops. It was

crap. It was a ****ty system of "protections" that made everyone else in the party a bunch of chumps with thumbs squarely up their asses."

R00fles!

But, mages in PE with their one dimensional spells are sooooooooo much better? Come on.

\There is stuff that PE can do better but magic is not it. Magic seems rather bland in this game so far.  The Cypher and Chanter seem to get the good stuff. But, the mage is hella dumbed down.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wait a minute. This is an honest question because it seriously interests me and it would make a huge difference in my argument.

Combat pacing in PoE is demonstrably "borked" as you say (lets call it what it is: it's an action-packed mess) But I've not seen a single developer even HINT that they think it's something that needs to be fixed. In fact, I'm under the impression that it's very much the design intention, since they deliberately gave us Fast forward and slo-mo buttons.

Yup, fair call. I too haven't seen any response on whether or not they'll modify combat pace. And if they do not, then I will completely agree with every point you've made thus far.

However it is my honest belief that even if they do not change the default speed, they could speed up the "slow mode" a bit to the point where it isn't functionally useless (i.e. current slow mode) and simply have an option in the game to auto-switch to slow mode on combat and revert to "normal" speed on encounter end. Problem solved. Its a minor change and one I'd bet my left nut on that they'll make, well maybe not this exact change, but something to the same effect anway.

The pace of combat does seem to be an issue to me. I think it's a little too fast. I wouldn't call it action-game-esque, but I do feel like if the combat were slower I would be able to make tactical decisions easier in the midst of combat. I wouldn't say the combat feels overly different than BG2. It seems more balanced when it's working. The only complaint I might have is the speed, but I don't know if that's just me not being good at the game yet. Maybe as I get more used to it the combat won't seem so fast. 

I think complaining about the fighter not being set on auto-pilot is weird. As others have said, the fighter isn't really that complicated in PoE in my opinion. Very little abilities that don't require that much attention. The wizards do seem to be brought down in relative power level, but that isn't considering the fact that in BG2 you were save scumming and having access to all your mage spells for almost every serious encounter. The trash mobs were easier to deal with in BG2, but I can't say that I can understand the argument for making the trash mobs less of a threat to the party. I also don't mind the stamina/health system at all, and it really doesn't strike me as that big of a departure from BG2. It's a little more interesting imo. 

It's not fun to throw some magic tin suit and a magic pig sticker +3 on my PC Paladin and cut him loose auto-attacking linebacker style while the wizards go to work with all their spells.

That's your opinion, and if that's what you think I suggest you play with a different class that better suits your preferred play-style. That's a part of why the IE games were so great; they allowed a variety of different play styles.

If you don't like the PoE style of classes and encounters then I suggest you play a different game that better suits your preferred play-style.

It's not fun to throw some magic tin suit and a magic pig sticker +3 on my PC Paladin and cut him loose auto-attacking linebacker style while the wizards go to work with all their spells.

That's your opinion, and if that's what you think I suggest you play with a different class that better suits your preferred play-style. That's a part of why the IE games were so great; they allowed a variety of different play styles.

If you don't like the PoE style of classes and encounters then I suggest you play a different game that better suits your preferred play-style.

My preferred play style is the IE style, which is what I was sold during the Kickstarter. 

But then turns out the lead designer and a good portion of the backers didn't really enjoy what those games offered.

What a messed up situation. I feel so stupid now for giving them so much money.

• Like 3

I might if poe turns out to not be the IE successor I was promised. The issue is that I was pitched the exploration of BG and the combat of IWD. I already gave Obsidian my money, and I'm not ready to give up on poe yet. All I'm suggesting is that Obsidian should do what they said they would do and make a successor to the IE games. 

• Like 6

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I might if poe turns out to not be the IE successor I was promised. The issue is that I was pitched the exploration of BG and the combat of IWD. I already gave Obsidian my money, and I'm not ready to give up on poe yet. All I'm suggesting is that Obsidian should do what they said they would do and make a successor to the IE games. 

Yeah, well. I gave them my money too for a modern reimagining of the IE games, and I got exactly what I wanted.

• Like 3

Yeah, well. I gave them my money too for a modern reimagining of the IE games, and I got exactly what I wanted.

If by modern reimagining you mean everything is different. If you're an anime fan; might I suggest you go see Dragonball Evolution. It's a modern re-imagining of a classic too. You'll love it I'm sure.

• Like 1

If by modern reimagining you mean everything is different. If you're an anime fan; might I suggest you go see Dragonball Evolution. It's a modern re-imagining of a classic too. You'll love it I'm sure.

By modern reimagining I mean a party-based isometric RPG with real-time strategy gameplay, beautiful pre-rendered/painted backgrounds, and a great story with a lot of reactive dialog options all reminiscent of old IE games but with updates like a modern resolution and new story/setting/ruleset.

And that's what we are getting, anything else is just details and personal preferences as much as you want to pretend that there is One True Scotsman of what an IE game must be like.

But I'm done responding to your trolling for the time being.

• Like 5

By modern reimagining I mean a party-based isometric RPG with real-time strategy gameplay, beautiful pre-rendered/painted backgrounds, and a great story with a lot of reactive dialog options all reminiscent of old IE games but with updates like a modern resolution and new story/setting/ruleset.

And that's what we are getting, anything else is just details and personal preferences as much as you want to pretend that there is One True Scotsman of what an IE game must be like.

But I'm done responding to your trolling for the time being.

You have a pretty liberal view of what qualifies as an IE successor. Oh well, to each his own I guess.