Unable to progress due to constant glitches

Shortly after leaving town I end up encountering a game-destroying glitch, every single time. It's always one of these three:

- equipment disappears

- abilities disappear

- character gets "locked" and can't be clicked on / take any actions

There doesn't seem to be any cure for these. I've restarted the game with new characters well over a dozen times and they keep happening. I've tried reloading saves but one of these bugs will invariably cut off my progress. Also tried deleting all my saved games and starting from scratch, to no avail. 

Sometimes the game even saves me the trouble of playing by starting out with naked party members. One time, the entire party of ruffians by the river was nude :D 

I read on here that some people actually managed to complete the beta - did you guys just carry on after being hit with these bugs or am I just really unlucky? 

• Like 2

I was in the ruines to east and my party members started getting locked up.

About half was, I guess with 3 out of 6 locked up but I was able to keep my main character from locking up by highlighting him then clicking his portrait then moving him.

Sadly that doesn't seem to work with other character while rarely working with the Main Character.

I have noticed this issue as well. Primarily the disappearance of equipment. I had a Quarterstaff that my PC was using vanish on me as well as my Priest's Warhammer. Also some items found while on quest disappear when moved from one party member to another.

I have not noticed this issue with any abilities. As for characters getting locked I will need to double check to confirm that behavior.  

Shortly after leaving town I end up encountering a game-destroying glitch, every single time. It's always one of these three:

- equipment disappears

- abilities disappear

There doesn't seem to be any cure for these. I've restarted the game with new characters well over a dozen times and they keep happening. I've tried reloading saves but one of these bugs will invariably cut off my progress. Also tried deleting all my saved games and starting from scratch, to no avail. 

Sometimes the game even saves me the trouble of playing by starting out with naked party members. One time, the entire party of ruffians by the river was nude :D 

I read on here that some people actually managed to complete the beta - did you guys just carry on after being hit with these bugs or am I just really unlucky? 

You're not alone. I'm having the same exact issues and I haven't even completed a single quest. I'm trying to beta test it but how am I supposed to do that when there are these major bugs that prevent you from even...testing. 

Can Obsidian give us an update when they are going to patch this beta? I hope it's not another week till these "beta-breaking" bugs are fixed. I want to test the combat out, but that's impossible when my Wizard's grimoire dissapears at the beginning of the game and other stuff...

Calibrating...

- equipment disappears

- abilities disappear

You're not alone. I'm having the same exact issues and I haven't even completed a single quest. I'm trying to beta test it but how am I supposed to do that when there are these major bugs that prevent you from even...testing. 

Can Obsidian give us an update when they are going to patch this beta? I hope it's not another week till these "beta-breaking" bugs are fixed. I want to test the combat out, but that's impossible when my Wizard's grimoire dissapears at the beginning of the game and other stuff...

I guess I don't know for sure, but maybe they are running analytics and needed more testers to find the origin of the problems.

Who knows. But my point is have faith in the process. My understanding is the game has been feature-locked but it's far from done.

• Like 1

I was in the ruines to east and my party members started getting locked up.

About half was, I guess with 3 out of 6 locked up but I was able to keep my main character from locking up by highlighting him then clicking his portrait then moving him.

Sadly that doesn't seem to work with other character while rarely working with the Main Character.

- Yeah, I gave up hope for running the ruins. One of the character always seem to lock up in there, halfway through the map. It's annoying.

- Gear dissapears all the time it seems. I got used to it now, but this is a fundamental bug that needs to be fixed.

- In addition to that, my quests seem to dissapear from journal, even though they are still active. It's annoying. I noticed that after fighting off the group of bandits standing in front of the dragon's nest.

• Like 1

- equipment disappears

- abilities disappear

I guess I don't know for sure, but maybe they are running analytics and needed more testers to find the origin of the problems.

Who knows. But my point is have faith in the process. My understanding is the game has been feature-locked but it's far from done.

I understand the game is feature-locked. Don't get me wrong.

But I want to actually test the beta. It's strange that these game-breaking bugs are existent in the first build that basically make us testers impossible to actually play and give feedback on. I really want to delve deep into the combat mechanics, examine the UI, test all the little systems here and there, but I can't...yet...even though the beta is out! It's a bit frustrating.

I just want to be able to play the beta w/o game-breaking bugs...I could care less about all those other bugs and upcoming features, but these bugs need to be squashed so that it's actually...playable. 

Calibrating...

my workaround for this is to save and reload, using quicksave (F5) and quickload (F8) ;)

after reloading i can move the "locked" characters again :)

my workaround for this is to save and reload, using quicksave (F5) and quickload (F8) ;)

This worked for me too. Sometimes I have to do it more than once to 'unlock' the character.

I just had all my quests and the notes for them disappear from my journal. Kind of wonky this beta. Hope they get all of this sorted in a patch soon.

Well, you know... It's a beta.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Not that it makes me concerned about the final state of the game, for this is a beta and all, but...

...my game crashes every time I load a saved file.

I'm playing an IE game as a roguelike, with my weapons constantly disappearing and my characters one by one getting stuck in the floor.

Strangely, the first thing to disappear is almost always the wizard's Grimoire. Most of the time, it doesn't even make it as far as the opening bridge.

Might roll two Monks next time.

I feel like there are bugs and unfinished areas like there is supposed to be in a beta. I remember back when Divinity Original Sin beta(alpha?) came out and it was pretty much the same. Many people do expect a beta to be "pre-release" state like how it's been for most of the larger products lately. I do find it a bit worrying that there's only another 4:ish months till supposed release time but I know that once you get proper feedback and such that you can get so much more done than when you have so few samples or whatever you want to call it.

I'll be taking a break from this beta for a bit now since I've been unable to complete both the Ogre quest and the Dragon Egg on two different characters for some unknown reason. I heard it might be because of not picking up the quest items on the "main" character but I don't feel like verifying it since I overwrote the quicksave like a tard. This issue coupled with experience only coming from quest completion has led me to feel very demotivated but I know these issues will be fixed in due time.