This game needs polish!

Marceror

Marceror, there is a reason so many people are using that word around you. You may not think it and it may not necessarily be true, but that's the impression you are giving off and the reputation you are developing based solely on how you are coming across in your posts. Just consider that.

To some extent I think it is what it is. A lot of people on these forums are really put off by the fact that I feel that the disappearing loot bug should have been grounds to delay the beta, and that I'm being vocal about that. But it's simply how I feel, even if I can appreciate that others disagree.

My personal life and career requires me to be very vocal about my opinions, and while that works well in that context, sometimes it can rub people the wrong way. Sometimes it even rubs my wife the wrong way. At the moment it's rubbing a lot of strangers on an internet forum the wrong way. What's a guy to do...? But as Osvir correctly discerned, I have absolutely the best of intentions. I want a great PoE, and I don't want to see this game's reputation become tarnished by what I deem as hasty decisions.

I think once the disappearing equipment bug is fixed, people will find me much more agreeable, LOL! I mean, I haven't had this sort of clash with people on the inXile boards, even though we have some heated debates over there. But personally I feel that inXile delivered a more solid game from the start, so it was much easier to jump in and start testing the game.

At any rate, I appreciate your candid comments.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

The way you wrote your comments got me a bit annoyed as well, especially when you went in the direction of saying people were wasting their time on the beta and that your time is too precious for you to play it yourself. I think you are a bit unlucky in the way you appear in this thread. It seemed like you took upon yourself a role to be a spokesman for the whole community in a way.

But I get that you only want the best for the game and that you are looking forward to the release yourself. I guess I get the point of the thread, and that it is your opinion, and as you said yourself a couple posts ago I think you should wait a bit with playing it since the beta obviously isn't something for you at this point in the development. 

While this beta is buggier than a psychopath's shack, the bugs seem mostly related to

*UI design and UI responsiveness (the big one)

*Load/reload issues

*Missing ressources

*Unimplemented screens and mechanics

If Obsidian does a UI pass, how the game plays and many of the most annoying things about the beta will be fixed. Personally, I would focus on this because this is so buggy and so detrimental to the experience that it makes no sense to "try and get a feel" for each of the classes when you can't use them or their abilties. I got no idea how the Wizard feels because I can't even cast spells with him. Half the time my fighters get stuck in the ground after switching from ranged to melee and I just can't use them anymore. They must have kept the Gamescon demo on rails, or used a later build, because what I've seen at gamescon felt a lot more polished than this.

Add the fact of not being to play the beta at all to that list...sorry guys but I'm with Marceror with this. Probably the fact that I'm not able to run the bloody thing is a crucial factor...and don't tell me again that's my laptop fault, or that I should re-install everything because of some stupid Unity stuff. That's not the way it supposed to be.

My concerns is that devs will concentrate their efforts on fixing the stuff in game and ignore the fact that some people cannot run the game at all...maybe some feedback from them will put some hope into my heart.

Yeah, I'm FULLY aware I cannot review the beta itself, cause it's not running form me. So, my concerns are a bit more justified than Marceror's. And yeah, I have as much of a high hopes the game will be a gem as you folks.

Edited by Cahir

I do sort-of agree that this is a bit too buggy to be released as a beta, even though that seems like a silly thing to say.

The reason is that right now most of the threads reporting bugs and discussing (okay, arguing in many cases) mechanics are really all gated around a handful of major bugs that largely make those bug reports and discussions irrelevant, because the experience that people are talking about is too heavily influenced by those few bugs.

There are large aspects of the game that are meaningfully testable as things stand, but right now most of the reports and discussion around them are getting lost in the flood of people going over the same few things again and again. I feel like this either means that somebody at Obsidian will have to spend days rifling through it all, or it will simply all be ignored until the incoming volume has reduced.

Maybe it would have been like that regardless; I really don't know. I did get a very different feeling from the WL2 beta though, like it was really ready to fully test and make specific detailed bug reports, and that there was real value in doing so. I guess part of that came from their having a dedicated bug-tracker, whereas having just the normal forum feels like we're not actually beta-testing, but we've just been thrown a preview, like a child 'helping' with the housework.

I myself have only been able to give the Beta a bash for couple of hours in two different sessions. 

Yes it is certainly buggy and needs polish, but how would the forums have gone if they had delayed the release after showing it at Gamescom?

Although we are not being informed, I am absolutely positive the devs are at it and getting the new build ready, killing some of those painful bugs!!

Sorry to hear some of you have not been able to try the Beta!

Edited by Lekian

I wouldn't worry.

99% of the things they fix in the beta will apply to the full game. The same code underlies combat, for example, whether in the beta village or a multiple-act commercial release.

Granted there were a lot of bugs in this beta, but they already knew about half of them. If you follow the bug forum at all, they've already fixed most of the reported issues. That kind of responsiveness bodes well.

Take heart citizen, Obsidian will deliver!

Edited by PrimeHydra

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

By the way, I think I should go ahead and confess that I just noticed a typo in the subject of this thread. It should read Polish, rather than polish.

I'm not talking about cleaning up that game. Nooo. I'm talking about adding some of the proud people from Poland into the game. OE, please add the Polish!

:biggrin:

• Like 3

...and the sun sets on yet another episode of Pillars of Eternity:  Forum Fights where differing opinions yield strong emotional responses that force defensive positions and aggressive words before being replaced by a bromantic tidal wave of fake smiles and thumbs' raised to one another resulting in a sullen apathetic realization that the only thing we have going on in our sad and meaningless lives is Pillars of Eternity, forum trolls, and people who engage in run-on sentences.

...and the sun sets on yet another episode of Pillars of Eternity:  Forum Fights where differing opinions yield strong emotional responses that force defensive positions and aggressive words before being replaced by a bromantic tidal wave of fake smiles and thumbs' raised to one another resulting in a sullen apathetic realization that the only thing we have going on in our sad and meaningless lives is Pillars of Eternity, forum trolls, and people who engage in run-on sentences.

Oh, have we arrived at the waxing philosophical part already?? So what have we learned here? If you ask me, it's that the forums are comprised of reasonable people and masochists. If you ask someone else, perhaps that the forums are filled with reasonable people and insane worry warts. If you ask OE, well, no idea but I have to believe they've seen this thread. Perhaps they'd care to enlighten?

I do sincerely wish sometimes that all I had to deal with in my life were the things you mention, as many days that would be a step up from my reality. But I have plenty more than that, and not all of it inspires poetry, but I digress.

For what it's worth though, I did try to avoid run on sentences. I hate those perhaps even more than betas that get released with well known, game breaking bugs!

I do want to say to OE that in spite of some of my, apparently, entitled opinions, I'm rooting for them all the way. I view OE as one of the last bastions of great computer role playing game development, and I believe they are capable of delivery a game that is not only good, but amazing -- setting the standard for the next generation of great CRPGs.

Sometimes my support comes loudly and even harshly. But it's all fueled by my love for what they are doing and my desire to see it hit the highest mark!

• Like 1

By the way, I think I should go ahead and confess that I just noticed a typo in the subject of this thread. It should read Polish, rather than polish.

I'm not talking about cleaning up that game. Nooo. I'm talking about adding some of the proud people from Poland into the game. OE, please add the Polish!

I was just thinking about that, because everytime I see this thread I'm thinking "No, it needs French!" :p

And people with horrendous humour! xD
Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about that, because everytime I see this thread I'm thinking "No, it needs French!" :p

French!? Haven't you ever seen the movie Quest for the Holy Grail? There are French people in that movie, and I dare say I'd rather not have those guys in Pillars! :p

(Of course I'm joking here)

I personaly think that we should rather add the czech instead of the polish because they add +1 to beer you cant argue with that.

You make a compelling argument. I'll give you that!

Marceror, you are one hell of a troll. The ability to pretend to lack self-awareness of how ridiculous you sound while at the same time being self-aware enough to realize that and irritate the hell out of others is quite impressive. Your PC, borderline business speak with gems like:

>I view OE as one of the last bastions of great computer role playing game development, and I believe they are capable of delivery a game that is not only good, but amazing -- setting the standard for the next generation of great CRPGs. 

and

>Sometimes my support comes loudly and even harshly. But it's all fueled by my love for what they are doing and my desire to see it hit the highest mark! 

are truly remarkable.

By the way, learn to reel in the hyperbole a little bit, using words like 'unforgivable' when describing bugs occurring in a game that is in *BETA* is exactly why people think you're a troll (at best) or an idiot (at worst). However, it's likely you realize this and are simply trolling for maximum effect.

Hey there Panther. I may have to steal your line. I don't think I've ever been called a troll until recently on this forum, but I guess maybe I should figure out what my response ought to be. Typically, it will just be to ignore the silly comments.

Marceror, you are one hell of a troll. The ability to pretend to lack self-awareness of how ridiculous you sound while at the same time being self-aware enough to realize that and irritate the hell out of others is quite impressive. Your PC, borderline business speak with gems like:

>I view OE as one of the last bastions of great computer role playing game development, and I believe they are capable of delivery a game that is not only good, but amazing -- setting the standard for the next generation of great CRPGs. 

and

>Sometimes my support comes loudly and even harshly. But it's all fueled by my love for what they are doing and my desire to see it hit the highest mark! 

are truly remarkable.

By the way, learn to reel in the hyperbole a little bit, using words like 'unforgivable' when describing bugs occurring in a game that is in *BETA* is exactly why people think you're a troll (at best) or an idiot (at worst). However, it's likely you realize this and are simply trolling for maximum effect.

What the heck. I'll bite a little here. Bottom line, not trolling. Not an idiot. I think I'm just from a different planet than a lot of the posters here.

Do I write with a pseudo-corporate "drawl"? I guess that's just what working in Corporate America for a helluva long time can do to a person.

Unforgivable? Yeah, I already admitted that word was a little over the top. And hyperbole, well, I did take the time later in this post to share my specific concerns, as I had not taken the time to do that initially.

I think you're a little late to the party in this post, quite honestly. The OMGICantBelieveYourComplainingAboutTheGameAlready part already ran its course.

My posts here are sincere, so as 600lbpanther says, this is just my real personality! ;)

I don't think its surprising that a beta has game breaking bugs, but I'll be surprised if they release full game and there won't be at least one bug that freaks me out.

I mean, yeah, disappearing equipment bug and such break the game, but those will be definitely noticed and fixed. But same doesn't really seem to apply to quest bugs from my experience. I hate quest bugs, bugs that prevent me completing quests either at all or in one specific way. Or that game thinks I completed game in some other way. There is already one bug in other dungeon that prevents it being completed, I don't really believe that full game will have all quests to be 100% functional considering how many Black Isle and Obsidian rpgs had game breaking bugs or bugged quests.

So basically, even though this beta allows all game mechanic bugs to be removed, I care more about all quests working properly so I'm worried about how the release will be considering that Wasteland 2 had update in august and it still had bugs that prevented quest being completed. Its in release for september, so I'll be surprised if California will be 100% bug free if community tested first half had quest breaking bugs this close to release

Edited by BrokenMask

I don't think its surprising that a beta has game breaking bugs, but I'll be surprised if they release full game and there won't be at least one bug that freaks me out.

I mean, yeah, disappearing equipment bug and such break the game, but those will be definitely noticed and fixed. But same doesn't really seem to apply to quest bugs from my experience. I hate quest bugs, bugs that prevent me completing quests either at all or in one specific way. Or that game thinks I completed game in some other way. There is already one bug in other dungeon that prevents it being completed, I don't really believe that full game will have all quests to be 100% functional considering how many Black Isle and Obsidian rpgs had game breaking bugs or bugged quests.

So basically, even though this beta allows all game mechanic bugs to be removed, I care more about all quests working properly so I'm worried about how the release will be considering that Wasteland 2 had update in august and it still had bugs that prevented quest being completed. Its in release for september, so I'll be surprised if California will be 100% bug free if community tested first half had quest breaking bugs this close to release

Which concludes that we beta testers need access to the full game ASAP before release!

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I would be all for that too. As beta testers we should be prepared to make certain sacrifices, and wading into spoiler land is among those in my opinion.

Can't say enough about how well this has been working in WL2.

They have two QA teams that can focus on quest bugs and stuff in other areas of the game - their internal QA and the QA provided by Paradox Interactive.

I think it's good that we are only getting to do this small area of the game. We are mostly for suggestions, UI, combat, performance, general bugs ... etc etc

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1