Immobile Character Bug

fortuntek

Question

I encountered this problem during my first gaming session:

- Defeated the Nefyre(sp?) encounter in the inn

- After looting, my main character became stationary (possibly from carrying too much?)

- Even after redistributing and even selling off heavy items, char still couldn't move

- There was no text or audio indicating that he was carrying too much

I tried several things but nothing seems to fix it other than saving and reloading. Has anyone had this problem? Is it actually a bug having to do with inventory weight, like in IE games where they could no longer move?

My best guess is that my character became overencumbered but when the items were removed from his inventory the status was not removed correctly.

13 answers to this question

Additionally:
- It happened to me several times and I didn't understand why. Then in one encounter I realized I was switching weapons a lot, and it might be related.

Speculation:

1) Monster/Enemy is being targeted by the group.

2) One character switches weapon (from melee to ranged or from ranged to melee).
3) Enemy dies whilst weapon is switched. Causes character to freeze(?), the queued up weapon might pre-maturely target the enemy, and then the enemy disappears but the "weapon" is still in combat and thus making the character "stuck".

Current fix:
Save/Load

Whilst on the subject of switching weapons, I noticed that my Priest (that I gave a rifle) switched to her Mace (as commanded), but then aimed down the Mace sight and shot a salvo with the Mace, before engaging in melee combat. 

Edited by Osvir

I also had this problem in the exact same location and under the same circumstances(immediately after defeating Neyfre, on the second floor of the inn, in her room). It didn't effect my main character, however, but rather the rogue.

Problem was resolved by saving and then loading the game.

Edited by Panteleimon

I was able to reproduce the bug by switching between weapons in combat.

From Ranged (Fine Arquebus) to Melee and they freeze mid-combat (and become unselectable, typical "Hold Person" effect).

Edited by Osvir

Additionally:

- It happened to me several times and I didn't understand why. Then in one encounter I realized I was switching weapons a lot, and it might be related.

So far, it has happened only once to me but it was to my figther and cleric NPCs in the same combat. I started everybody in ranged attacks and ordered to switch to melee when shortly after the cultist died. I could see that they had switched weapons but could not select them in any way or more them.

As said, save and reload to fix it.

I think you guys are right, it's related to switching weapons not encumbrance. Also, I noticed that when I used the 'save then reload' fix on a separate occasion, my weapon was gone. This happened to me several times to the point where a couple of my characters had no weapons and I didn't notice until later.

I don't know if it's related, but somehow my BB Wizard is also unable to use any spells, but I'm not sure when this occurred.

I think you guys are right, it's related to switching weapons not encumbrance. Also, I noticed that when I used the 'save then reload' fix on a separate occasion, my weapon was gone. This happened to me several times to the point where a couple of my characters had no weapons and I didn't notice until later.

I don't know if it's related, but somehow my BB Wizard is also unable to use any spells, but I'm not sure when this occurred.

Right, because loading a save can result in your party members losing armor and/or weapons.

Right, because loading a save can result in your party members losing armor and/or weapons.

Is this a known bug? Maybe they are related.

Confirmed: Main character has frozen twice in a row when switching from arquebus to melee in two straight fights. I need to test it with other characters in the party.

Update: bug is confirmed with the BB Fighter at least as well the main character.

Edited by nikolokolus

I've experienced this twice with my BBFighter. The first time, after I'd despatched the beetles I was definitely messing around with weapons and was switching from the arbalest to melee weapons. Glued in place, totally non-responsive and unselectable.

I'm not sure whether the same thing pre-ceded the second occurence after I'd slain the feral druids at the gorge area. However, I after trying various combinations to try and unstick BBfighter, I figured I might try exiting the rest of the party from the area to see what happened. I was able to leave and go to Dryford Village. Interestingly, it seemed to reset BBfighter who also re-appeared with everyone else at Dryford Village *and* I had full control of BBfighter again.

Maybe this could be a workaround for people until the next build.