[help/bug?] Can't progress in ruins under statue *spoilers*

philby

Question

Hi, not sure if I'm just missing something or there is actually a bug. I'm in the ruins under the statue with the Skaen cultists. I've come to one of those 'scripted interaction' sequences, there are some posts and a chasm and the vibe I'm getting is that I use a grappling hook to swing over. However the option to use the grappling hook never shows up, even though I have it in my inventory on my player character. I just get the options to inspect, inspect and leave. 

Similarly, there are some locked doors around the area which I can't open. I'm guessing that the doors to the sacrificial pit looking area will open with further progress or items, but nearby the area with the posts and chasm is another locked door to continue on. I can't open it, even though I have a lockpick and I upgraded mechanics on the BB party rogue.

Am I missing something simple that will make me facepalm or is something not right? Is grappling hook and rope two separate items (do I need to get rope separately from grappling hook or are they combined)? cheers

7 answers to this question

I'm having the same issue as you; I even bought an extra grappling hook and still no luck.

Tried equipping it, moving it to other character's inventories, but still nothing triggers the use of the grappling hook. Pretty much stuck now since I think it's required to get to the next section.

I managed to open that locked door (to the "north" of the cutscene place) with just the basic rogue - no upgrades and no lockpicks. I did come to another place (see spoiler) where my rogue didn't seem to want to interact with a locked door and I noticed that not only did the door not open but I didn't get the usual "x Mechanics Required" type message either, so I'm thinking that there may be a bug with lockpicking doors...

The door I was trying to unlock is the one in the tower with the leatherworkers - I'd come up the ladder from the tunnels so I was "behind" the door...

I managed to open that locked door (to the "north" of the cutscene place) with just the basic rogue - no upgrades and no lockpicks. I did come to another place (see spoiler) where my rogue didn't seem to want to interact with a locked door and I noticed that not only did the door not open but I didn't get the usual "x Mechanics Required" type message either, so I'm thinking that there may be a bug with lockpicking doors...

The door I was trying to unlock is the one in the tower with the leatherworkers - I'd come up the ladder from the tunnels so I was "behind" the door...

Just want to add I've experienced the same problem, not being able to bridge the chasm and being unable to unlock the door you referred to in your spoiler tag.

Yeah I can't unlock any of the doors now, either in the temple or the tower. There is no message/feedback about not having high enough skill etc. Proper stuck! :(

Same here. I had enough mechanics skill on my main to unlock something earlier, but now I don't even get an option or a message of any kind on any locked object, so can't even attempt to open any of the doors in the Ruins. I also cannot seem to use the grappling hook no matter what I try.

Same here. I had enough mechanics skill on my main to unlock something earlier, but now I don't even get an option or a message of any kind on any locked object, so can't even attempt to open any of the doors in the Ruins. I also cannot seem to use the grappling hook no matter what I try.

I have the same issue and don't even get the XX skill needed, I also can get the hook and rope to work, but found a work around for getting into that area of the map.

Sorry i don't know how to do the hidden spoiler thing so if you dont want to know dont read the below text

In the dye merchants shop (the one that attacks you if you show him the note from the dead cultist) you can find a key that allowes you to open the door in his tower so you can enter the temple below. The key is in one of the dye buckets but you can only find it after scouting around for a bit (like a hidden door would pop up after some time in BG) I had scout mode on, but dont know if you need to