Please bring back the pencil drawings of items

Grotesque

Looks like the best case scenario would be MCA doing stick figure drawings of these items.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This has already been answers by Kaz in the UI thread. The item sketches ain't happening.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67093-sensukis-suggestions-005-item-descriptions-and-contextual-ui-rant/?p=1483759

Well, they currently hope to deliver the game at December, so there is not enough time. But since i don't believe they will manage that anyway and will go for a delay/EA, there will be time just fine.

• Like 1

I guess it's time for you guys to sit down and start sketching.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

This would be great, but I'm just not sure if there's enough 2D Art time left on the project. I would love to get a Kaz drawing of these, but I'm just not sure if he'd have the time to do this without sacrificing something else: Area Paint overs, Portraits, 2D icons, UI reworks, etc etc

Then maybe they should outsourse some of the 2D staff, or even better hire another 2D artist on site, or bring Brian Menze on this project to help. So far the area Obsidian seems lacking is art, not in quality but in quantity, and this game stakes a lot in it's art. 2 artists are very limited manpower for this kind of project, more so since so much *art things* Area Paint overs, Portraits, 2D icons, UI reworks remaining.

I thought Brian Menze is already assigned on the project.

elf_chick_by_Brenze.jpg

This drawing is made by him. As I remember it is for Pillars of Eternity

A exposed kidney area is not good for your health!

This would be great, but I'm just not sure if there's enough 2D Art time left on the project. I would love to get a Kaz drawing of these, but I'm just not sure if he'd have the time to do this without sacrificing something else: Area Paint overs, Portraits, 2D icons, UI reworks, etc etc

Then maybe they should outsourse some of the 2D staff, or even better hire another 2D artist on site, or bring Brian Menze on this project to help. So far the area Obsidian seems lacking is art, not in quality but in quantity, and this game stakes a lot in it's art. 2 artists are very limited manpower for this kind of project, more so since so much *art things* Area Paint overs, Portraits, 2D icons, UI reworks remaining.

I thought Brian Menze is already assigned on the project.

elf_chick_by_Brenze.jpg

This drawing is made by him. As I remember it is for Pillars of Eternity

Its not for Pillars

And Brian Menze was Lead Artist on South Park. No idea what hes doing right now.

Edited by C2B

I would, but I dont think they would just ask the community to do the sketches xD

Mods. Mods all the way.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Only pencil drawing no please. put only in rare itens maybe. I dont want to see the same image for 10 weapons or more. 

The same sketch will be used for the same tier of weapons. E.g. a fine longsword will have a different sketch than an exquisite longsword, even if these weapons are in the same weapons category. Unique items would have unique sketches.

In there'll be two layer in item depiction complexity, one item from icons and a second from item sketches.

There is a reason  the majority say that BGII had great itemization. One reason is this.

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 2

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I know it seems nit-picky, but having pencil sketches for items is really important to me. It really helps the items feel unique and "alive" so to speak.

Considering how many things there are to work on before release, I don't realistically see OE getting this done, as it's probably a back-burner issue (If they even consider it an issue).

I don't know if the bureaucracy of game development would get in the way of this idea, but I think it would be cool to let the community here donate their own sketches for different items in the game. Just have us submit a bunch of random sketches of bows, swords, hammers, armor, gems, keys, etc... If OE receives enough good ones, I wouldn't think it would take too many resources to implement them, would it? 

Obviously the style of drawings would vary from person to person, but I think if the standard rule was "pencil sketches only", that that would keep the visual look between drawings similar enough for consistency.

Bad idea? Good idea? Naive idea?

• Like 4

Linkamus: It's a super-cool idea, and a time saver for Obsidian. They just need to sift through a few submissions and pick those that make the cut, it's a win-win suggestion.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***