The beta-praise-only thread: What you like and love about the beta build!

Things I like about the game so far:

-Intro screen music is just great. It reminds me a bit of Storm of Zehir.

-The combat music is really engaging. It has beauty and urgency rolled into one!

-I like those choruses!

-The Moon Godlike is cool. Almost alien, and with interesting capabilities.

-The water effects are most of the time stellar.

-The ambient sound effects are brilliant overall.

-I love Stormwall Gorge, especially when it was moonlit, and getting attacked badly by elder lions.

-All the flavour currency is a nice touch.

-That you can find Camping Supplies as loot is pretty neat, as long as they are rarities, of course.

• Like 9

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

-Character creation is excellent. Very in-depth yet still manages to keep a good overview on everything. You have guys have found a great balance here.

-The audiovisual side of everything is great. It feels like an update IE game. Beautiful.

-While the combat feels rough right now and needs work, you can see the potential. Love that there seems to be so many options for the characters to keep you active. The realtime w pause was maybe my least looked forward to thing in the game, but if this is polished I can see myself really growing to love it.

• Like 3

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I really liked the character creation and the descriptions of everything. I ended up going with Moon Godlike but I know I will want to try everything like a kid in a candy store.

I got the sense of a really big world with a lot of scope and I want more! I liked the dialogue options and it was very well presented. The music is outstanding. Just really outstanding!

• Like 2

I really liked the character creation and the descriptions of everything. I ended up going with Moon Godlike but I know I will want to try everything like a kid in a candy store.

I got the sense of a really big world with a lot of scope and I want more! I liked the dialogue options and it was very well presented. The music is outstanding. Just really outstanding!

I love the options in character creation: sub-races, culture, background... it adds a lot of depth and makes roleplaying more interesting.

I got the same sense of the world. I'm glad we don't have story spoilers, because it's gonna be a very pleasant experience to discover this world and what is going on there.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 3

sign.jpg

The upside potential for this game is so high.  It is really capturing the nostalgia without a lot of the clunk headaches in the UI.

The change in starter equipment based upon "faction" is terrific as well.

I had originally questioned the decision to go the 2.5d route but the game is flat out gorgeous!

• Like 4

The nostalgia is so strong just watching the videos from games con- I just dled BG: Enhanced Edition which my brother gifted me and I hardly played (because I played BG back in the 90s more then enough)

So if the beta can get you to go back and play the original games that's something to love.

• Like 2

the water looks nice.

spellcaster offer genuine different gameplay experiences. in fact, each class has been offering enough unique abilities to be interesting, although the rogue and warrior/fighter strike us as a bit vanilla.

no cassowary for rangers, but we can name a bear, State O' Maine.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm really liking the scripted interactions. Feels like something that the IE games should have had.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

- The feel of the game

- Backgrounds/ water

- Scripted interactions

- The dialogue (with descriptions what a person does while talking etc.)

- Spell effects

- Music

- Guns are cool! I can't believe I like them so much :)

• Like 4

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

- The brass section of the soundtrack is fantastic.

- The character creation has enough options for me to own my character.

- When the reputation system is totally fleshed out, it's going to make characters that much deeper. Throw in skills and their application in conversation, exploration and interactive sequences and it's a big, big deal.

- The weapons are varied and give personality to the people who use them.

- The writing is high quality and believable.

- The different currencies are great. I hope there's some kind of sleuth quest where finding a certain kind of currency on the bodies of some men tells you who they're working for. Like taking a passport off them.

- The game is gorgeous.

• Like 1

• Intelligent interaction / looting: It's nice that with the party selected, if I click an object, the nearest character will try to interact with it rather than the party "leader" running from a billion miles away to be the first to get it

Indiscriminate murder: It was nice that the game didn't artificially restrict my impulse to completely slaughter the town, except, of course, with a group of adventurers at the inn that butchered me.

Exceptionally well done art. The backgrounds in particular are fantastic. Very nicely done.

Intuitive character creation: It's plainly obvious what you're making and what you're getting (mechanics aside)

• Like 2

Everything but the bugs.

Okay, more seriously: atmosphere, dialog, look and feel of the party, genuinely differentiated classes--a chanter really is nothing like a wizard, and a barbarian is nothing like a fighter--with at least some options to play against type (noticed the talent(?) that lets non-fighters engage an extra enemy, which lets them play the 'flypaper' role in a pinch), the general look of everything, the music, and... the floors. Seriously, this game has some really nice-looking floors.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I really like the whole experience, from a gamer perspective and from a bug tester perspective.

The beta client itself is pretty solid, I've had one CTD (comparably: in Divinity: OS, I had a lot more). There are some gnawing technical tidbits here and there, that might be more of a pain to fix than I can imagine. Or they are easy fixes, as long as you can find them.

The game, the vision, the aim: Amazing! Sitting down with it is something I've wanted to do a long time, it plays nice (in terms of exploration, it is fun to run around in this world, to interact, read). Combat is, as we know, is riddled in technicalities (the system needs a bit more engineering).

Remember what Josh said (sentiment):
"The very first thing we do is create a room and a character and see if it is even fun to run around in there" and I feel that Obsidian succeeds with conveying this (and it too will be improved progressively).