Sensuki's Suggestions #002: Selection Circles and Targeting Indicators (again)

Sensuki

Selection circle colors

I've mentioned this one before, and it's a bit of a no-brainer but for the default setting (Colorblind mode unticked), is it possible for NPC units to have the light blue selection circles and player units to have the green selection circles like in the IE games.

baldursgate_translate.jpg

It's just really jarring to see NPC units with the same color as party members.

Selection circle feedback options

Currently the game only supports the "BG2" style selection circle feedback where NPC unit selection circles are not shown by default, but only when moused over.

The IE games had a slider called marker feedback with six settings that controlled when selection circles were displayed.

rjzrRql.jpg

Currently Pillars of Eternity has an option to completely disable selection circles, but not to enable them always (which is my preferred setting).

I also think that the selection circles are too thick and that the single pixel IE style would be better, YMMV.

And lastly, many people have expressed interest in being able to pick their own colors for selection circles (whether that be different colors for individual party members etc, I'm not sure) so there's another idea. I am really glad that the IE green made it in though. Thanks for listening to me guys!

Targeting Indicators

I also think that instead of the blinking circles, the targeting indicators should be changed back to the IE style as well.

1249455-baldur-s-gate.jpg

PAST SUGGESTIONS

Disable Vertical Sync

• Like 9

I see the problem here is that PoE has a bit different camera angle, BG is more top down. Maybe that's one of the problem with a cluster**** that is combat right now. More visible indicators should be implemented at least. Maybe even more pronounced than BG. Maybe something like Planescape: Torment:

catacombs002.gif

• Like 1

Also, if this won't work and targets will still be hard to aquire then maybe devs should implement attackable enemies icons somewhere in UI. I know it is mainly done in turn based rpgs, but I think it's nice to have them in any type of rpg.

I didn't do a search for this, so apologies if it's been mentioned already.

When using AOE-attacks (f.e. fireball), the selection circles of affected characters and enemies should give an indication such as blink slowly. Right now it's hard to tell if you're actually going to hit someone at the edge of the selection area or not.

• Like 3

When using AOE-attacks (f.e. fireball), the selection circles of affected characters and enemies should give an indication such as blink slowly. Right now it's hard to tell if you're actually going to hit someone at the edge of the selection area or not.

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with that. I always found it pretty silly when you can do pixel-perfect adjustments like in DA:O. IMO, if you're not willing to make sure you're going to hit, then you should risk missing the target.

I didn't do a search for this, so apologies if it's been mentioned already.

I agree with this. I think there should be some indication if enemies are within the AoE circle, personally I was going to suggest making the actual character model blink or rather pulse transparency if the target is within the circle.

Considering that AoE ranges in this game can vary significantly depending on the caster's Int, I really don't understand how anyone can be against showing AoE ranges and other such indicators but that aside it should at least be a setting I think to show if someone actually is inside the circle or not since with the perspective it's often hard to tell.

Speaking of selection circles, when they're disabled, you should be provided with at least some feedback when you select a character or when you select the party.

Currently, when selection circles are disabled, they're completely disabled.

Selecting characters doesn't highlight them, temporarily show the selection circle and fade out, and there's no graphic effect on their portrait.

With selection circles completely disabled and no selection feedback, I never know which characters I have selected.

• Like 1

I swear I'm not stalking you but I agree with this as well...seems we have similar tastes when it comes to the old games.

May as well give us the option to have the circles mimic the old games and really any thing else should be secondary to that....

• Like 1

Also I've noticed that this game doesn't change the character's selection mode. In the IE games when one of your party members is targeting an enemy, that enemy's selection circle changes into a targeting reticule.

Same when one of your characters is casting a targeted spell on an ally.

This would REALLY help with combat feedback.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

More options are always good, especially when it's something that'll be present almost all of your game time.

As far as the selection circles, it's like everything else associated with combat feedback - there needs to be more of it. So, like shrubber said, feedback for targets of aoe (flashing models/circles etc) and as Sensuki says, selecting/mousing over a friendly should also highlight their target's circle/model.

• Like 2

I agree with the targeting change and that people should have the option to always have markers on, but the rest of this is fairly nit picky and very opinion based.  The single pixel thing is a bad idea though, people are already complaining about a lack of clear markers and you want to make them even smaller?

Or the thickness and contrast of the selection circles gets too confusing with so many enemies on the screen? ;)

No it doesn't.  Try playing without them on expert mode when everyone is in a dog pile and a massive fireball just went off.  That is confusing and hard to see.  Selection circles are fine.

If the circles and the cursor were set up right, they could solve a lot of the incoherence in the combat.

For instance, as noted, circles could flash/pulse when they or their character are mouseovered or targeted via template, with a cursor change to match. Cursor and circle could pulse in sync, to make it very clear what's going on.

It's also useful to consider if the circles might need to overlay the models in some cases- that could mess things up, but what's the alternative if they're covered in models? With no rotation in the camera angles, there's little to offer clarity in a melee.

I don't think there is anything to gain from holding back clarity and innovation in this area. People aren't going to enjoy the look of the game if it comes at the expense of understanding what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...