No experience from combat

prince87x

In reply to the previous replies about getting EXP from a variety of activities, I thought I might add my two cents.

It's probably been mentioned a million times already, but, really, I don't really understand how people can justify the current system of no combat EXP.

I'm just picking at semantics here, but realistically speaking, aren't you supposed to gain experience via combat anyway? There's a difference between swinging a sword a couple hundred times and actual combat, after all.

It's already there in some form by revealing to us more and more about the enemy, but I feel that isn't enough to reflect the actual experience gained from fighting against deadly monstrocities.

That's why I preferred the old system of giving experience for both questing and combat as it reflected the knowledge gained from both fighting and the headwork required to make your way in the world.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Xienzi
  • Like 6

Work is hard.. multi classing.. unique classes with special feats.. balanced combat xp.. its too hard... it's too much work to keep track of it.. good thing our "publisher" is now a forum of 15 year old cry babies.. otherwise we might be held accountable and actually need to work a little overtime here and there.. :(

It's interesting to see the huge difference between InXile and Obsidian and how they deal with their community. I am sure many people weren't happy with the direction of wasteland 2.. but at least Brother None doesn't treat / ignore his own community like they are disease ridden pariahs after the checks all cash.

They cant really do anything, every post the devs would do would only generate rage from one side or another. InXile has no real forum for tides of numenera right now afaik. Which is a good thing cause else it would be a immense "why did you go turn based" s*it storm.

You're absolutly right that a response may generate rage on both sides. However, perhaps if the devs said "We will be giving xp for completed quests and skills use, dialogue, and combat because we want players to be rewarded for engaging with content we put in the game in a more intermediate fashion. We realize that this system can be abused by players to seek to manipulate the xp system to extract maximum rewards. However, as Pillars of Eternity is designed to closely implement the IE games, we feel like this choice adhears most closely to that principal."

I would wager that would make more sense to a larger number of players given that the Kickstarter described Pillars of Eternity in the following ways:

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing.

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

But I definitely understand there would be quite a few players who would be very upset given that Obsidian has strongly hinted that this game would be quest only xp. Plenty of players are very exited for that mechanic too. I'm just not one of them.

• Like 4

Problem is people where expecting an improved IE game, not a reimagining of it. The more I look at PoE the more I get the feeling that things were being changed just for the sake of being different from BG1&2 specifically, this is not even aimed at the xp system just in general. I get the feeling that Obs is trying too hard to make PoE their own, it could lead them to their own downfall.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being melodramatic, but that is the feeling I am getting from reading a lot of things on this forum on the bb.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 5

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm just picking at semantics here, but realistically speaking, aren't you supposed to gain experience via combat anyway? There's a difference between swinging a sword a couple hundred times and actual combat, after all.

Rule of Sawyer No. 1:

The player must be able to become a powerful warrior and master lockpicker even if he never engages in combat and never picks a lock.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

You could do that in DnD too. I've had campaigns with big stretches of no combat at all, with XP gained for all kinds of other neat stuff. Once they brokered an alliance between some warring nomad barbarian clans so they could attack the kingdom attacking their kingdom. Involved a lot of sneaking across enemy lines with means magical and mundane, seduction, bribery, some Charm spells, some Wilderness Lore, a great deal of diplomacy, calling in favors, and what have you. Took several months of calendar time, and yes, the barbarian and rogue leveled up too.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You could do that in DnD too. I've had campaigns with big stretches of no combat at all, with XP gained for all kinds of other neat stuff. Once they brokered an alliance between some warring nomad barbarian clans so they could attack the kingdom attacking their kingdom. Involved a lot of sneaking across enemy lines with means magical and mundane, seduction, bribery, some Charm spells, some Wilderness Lore, a great deal of diplomacy, calling in favors, and what have you. Took several months of calendar time, and yes, the barbarian and rogue leveled up too.

Ahh, so you did actually reward combat with XP in these games, amirite?

This is nothing different than what we already have, your example is therefore irrelevant.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.