No experience from combat

prince87x

Guys, there are more problems with this game than the experience system. Implementing combat xp wouldn't be enough to fix the game anyway, because the game is completely broken.

Just read the thread at the RPG Codex. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pillars-of-eternity-butthurt-release-thread.93694/page-60

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Man, I should stop staying up so late on the Obsidian forums; it's making me cranky. Obsidian; do whatever you want with xp. I still want exploration xp, but my freaking out about it was just silly. 

So can we hugh each other now and drink a nice cup of hot chocolate? :)

I agree with you that xp for exploration is nice, like for example if you find the western dungeon. We all know that the dev's made us go their, like designing the whole scene in a way that lures us to that place but if we immerse ourself in the game we usually think that its something only we found in the game, a super secret place.

• Like 1

This marshmallow is adorable. I could just eat you up!

You shouldn't. That would be murder.

He could just take small bite then. It grows back anyway ^^

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Guys, there are more problems with this game than the experience system. Implementing combat xp wouldn't be enough to fix the game anyway, because the game is completely broken.

Just read the thread at the RPG Codex. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pillars-of-eternity-butthurt-release-thread.93694/page-60

Wow you really are doom sayer, here to spread the will of the CODEX!  All shall be made clean by the cleansing light of it's infallible opinion!

Wow you really are doom sayer, here to spread the will of the CODEX!  All shall be made clean by the cleansing light of it's infallible opinion!

Like a neckbeard cabal.

Just read the thread at the RPG Codex.

So why should we believe RPG Codex anymore than any other person in this thread?

Also, isn't it in the end subjective whether you will like the final product or not? <_< Its not like anyone's opinion is objective fact.

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 2

Just read the thread at the RPG Codex.

So why should we believe RPG Codex anymore than any other person in this thread?

Also, isn't it in the end subjective whether you will like the final product or not? <_< Its not like anyone's opinion is objective fact.

I really want exploration-xp, but I have to agree with this.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

rpg codex is where we would go if we wished to get the antisemitic perspective on a game, or perhaps to hear a fanciful explanation as to why piracy is good for the computer gaming industry. am s'posing we could go to codex to discover if age o' decade(nce) is still on target for a april 2024 release, or to be regaled with the current gospel o' the church o' Cain. 

rpg codex is kinda like the onion for rpg fans, 'cept that the codexians ain't self aware that the site is absurd.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We're not getting combat/exploration/whatever XP, but i'll just bump up this thread anyway.

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I think anything you do in this game should give XP, whether that be conversations, disarming traps, combat, etc. I don't see the problem here? You are awarded with XP in anything you choose to do.

• Like 1

Calibrating...

This marshmallow is adorable. I could just eat you up!

You shouldn't. That would be murder.

Not if a farmer told him to do it first.

The Codex thread title made me lol.

Gifted you better not lock our last combat xp thread before it hits 500.. none of this 499 lock crap.. you wait til 500! :lol: jk

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 2

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

I think anything you do in this game should give XP, whether that be conversations, disarming traps, combat, etc. I don't see the problem here? You are awarded with XP in anything you choose to do.

Deus ex had that, its not a real rpg but the underlying system is the same. People sneaked around to get sneak xp, than used diplomacy or whatever to get another chunk xp for the same route and in the end killed all the npc's they talked with 2 min ago because it gave them extra xp.

Deus ex had that, its not a real rpg but the underlying system is the same. People sneaked around to get sneak xp, than used diplomacy or whatever to get another chunk xp for the same route and in the end killed all the npc's they talked with 2 min ago because it gave them extra xp.

Your right.. there's no way to solve this abusive behaivior except to axe the entire system.. like if theres a bump in the road.. lets just demolish the whole highway.

• Like 1

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

If only there were ways to "flag" NPC's to prevent that...

But that is so much extra work, why would you want to make the poor devs do so much work...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If only there were ways to "flag" NPC's to prevent that...

But that is so much extra work, why would you want to make the poor devs do so much work...

Work is hard.. multi classing.. unique classes with special feats.. balanced combat xp.. its too hard... it's too much work to keep track of it.. good thing our "publisher" is now a forum of 15 year old cry babies.. otherwise we might be held accountable and actually need to work a little overtime here and there.. :(

It's interesting to see the huge difference between InXile and Obsidian and how they deal with their community. I am sure many people weren't happy with the direction of wasteland 2.. but at least Brother None doesn't treat / ignore his own community like they are disease ridden pariahs after the checks all cash.

Edited by Immortalis
  • Like 1

While true, intentional double dipping is only part of the problem. With the "XP for everything" system, it's extremely hard to balance rewards for different playstyles.

Work is hard.. multi classing.. unique classes with special feats.. balanced combat xp.. its too hard... it's too much work to keep track of it.. good thing our "publisher" is now a forum of 15 year old cry babies.. otherwise we might be held accountable and actually need to work a little overtime here and there..  :(

It's interesting to see the huge difference between InXile and Obsidian and how they deal with their community. I am sure many people weren't happy with the direction of wasteland 2.. but at least Brother None doesn't treat / ignore his own community like they are disease ridden pariahs after the checks all cash.

I'd personally rather they spend their time fixing bugs and adding content than spending a frankly unnecessary amount of time tweaking and balancing a needlessly complex XP system.

There's hard work, and then there's stupid work. Let's keep OE on the former, rather than the latter.

Edited by CatatonicMan
  • Like 2

Work is hard.. multi classing.. unique classes with special feats.. balanced combat xp.. its too hard... it's too much work to keep track of it.. good thing our "publisher" is now a forum of 15 year old cry babies.. otherwise we might be held accountable and actually need to work a little overtime here and there.. :(

They cant really do anything, every post the devs would do would only generate rage from one side or another. InXile has no real forum for tides of numenera right now afaik. Which is a good thing cause else it would be a immense "why did you go turn based" s*it storm.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

They cant really do anything, every post the devs would do would only generate rage from one side or another. InXile has no real forum for tides of numenera right now afaik. Which is a good thing cause else it would be a immense "why did you go turn based" s*it storm.

I doubt it, that game was held back by it's system in the original, in other words it was good despite of it. The best decision they could have made was to remove combat and just make it stat based. There was almost no point in combat in PS:T.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Your right.. there's no way to solve this abusive behaivior except to axe the entire system.. like if theres a bump in the road.. lets just demolish the whole highway.

I'm just going to steal this excellent analogy.  :p

God forbid, don't make the devs work too hard so that they actually make a good game.

Sawyer needs his five hour Siesta every day, poor guy.

/sarcasm

Yep. Inxile listens to and communicates with their community.

All Obsidian does is tell us to suck on an Oscar Mayer Wiener. At least it feels that way.

Edited by Helm
  • Like 2

~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't support these sentiments strongly enough!

• Like 2