No experience from combat

prince87x

Blocking his path to where? He's just randomly wandering around in the wilderness. If he had a goal, an objective, some might even call it a quest, and they were between him and the quest location, then they would be blocking his path. And he'd be handsomely rewarded for completing that quest, no matter how he completed it.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Whats to keep you from slaughtering the countryside?

My character isn't a lunatic. Not to mention if I even tried to enter the city of Baldurs Gate I'd be attacked on sight by the flaming fist. How many people do you think killed the country side for the scrap of xp the villagers gave you? I guess we'll never know for sure, but I think it's safe to say between 0.001 and 0.0011%. By the way; why do you even care that some people would kill the country side for like, 300 xp or so?

As for random exploration and fighting it was all about finding treasure and sweet items that drove the fun in that not grinding for xp. 

For me it was about the atmosphere, but a lot of content was locked out for low level pcs. Need the xp to wander in new areas and survive, and to even get to some. Not that I was even grinding for xp. Xp giving foes were simply around. If I was grinding for xp I probably would be doing mostly quests.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Namutree, you're not being rewarded for exploring. You're being rewarded for arbitrarily killing various wildlife.

Mostly monsters. Do they count as wildlife? 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Blocking his path to where? He's just randomly wandering around in the wilderness. If he had a goal, an objective, some might even call it a quest, and they were between him and the quest location, then they would be blocking his path. And he'd be handsomely rewarded for completing that quest, no matter how he completed it.

How cute, you only advocate the slaughtering of "wildlife" if you have a "quest" to get from point A to point B.

Well that's just TOTALLY justified now :facepalm:

Edited by GreyFox

Hey guys you can only explore this map if ye ole farmer boy told you...otherwise you're a murdering trespassing bastard even if those xaurips attacked you first!!!

I takes offense to that. Dumb xaurips needed a lessen! Sure, they can't apply nuttin' because they dead, but dang-nabbit if somthin' weren't learned 'for they bit the dust.

Let's not get pedantic here. I'm merely using it as an alternative catch-all. You're still not being rewarded for exploring no matter what you kill, be it a squirrel or a Gnoll.

How cute, you only advocate the slaughtering of "wildlife" if you have a "quest" to get from point A to point B.

Well now that's just TOTALLY justified now

This is about the dumbest thing I've ever read.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Hey guys you can only explore this map if ye ole farmer boy told you...otherwise you're a murdering trespassing bastard even if those xaurips attacked you first!!!

I takes offense to that. Dumb xaurips needed a lessen! Sure, they can't apply nuttin' because they dead, but dang-nabbit if somthin' weren't learned 'for they bit the dust.

Gotta love those farmers/little girls with their missing dolls that have righteous authority over the land.

• Like 1

Well that's just TOTALLY justified now :facepalm:

Happens in realty.  Park rangers are tasked with hunting wildlife if they start killing people and and that does involve killing said wildlife, granted killing is not the solution every time.

Edited by DigitalCrack
  • Like 1

Let's not get pedantic here. I'm merely using it as an alternative catch-all. You're still not being rewarded for exploring no matter what you kill, be it a squirrel or a Gnoll.

I was actually trying to be funny. I know it doesn't make a difference. Guess I should have made it more obvious.

Well we have something in common as this is the dumbest thing I've read.

Well we have something in common as this is the dumbest thing I've read.

Yeah that's dumb... because its not like no one ever is paid/tasked to hunt wildlife that's killing/harming people...crazy talk!

I haven't yet made up my mind on the issue. Playing within the Beta, I found myself constantly weighing my curiosity against my desire not to waste resources or risk injury. In the past I would have unquestionably generated as many corpses as possible in an environment, because there was no incentive to do otherwise. I now found myself fighting things when a chest or path was obstructed--and then only if my characters couldn't resolve it with stealth first.

I will admit that the lack of combat experience in a game which focuses so heavily on combat does feel contradictory and irksome. Ultimately, I didn't feel it that detrimental though. I realized that I was now exploring purely out of curiosity than an experience-driven-blood-haze. The part which might make it irrelevant, is that the need for XP may just be replaced by the desire for loot. Many chests have been inaccessible without killing something, and then enemies themselves hold items I would not have had otherwise. I suppose the blood for gold is its own reward.

Being that I am a completionist, I very much doubt my experience will be impacted one way or the other.

• Like 3

Namutree: You're supposed to be item hunting, mostly to craft something nice, like a folklore music box with an integrated coffee grinder. ;)

I will now be disappointed if such an item is not craftable in-game.  It should also require the gathering of coffee-beans but then provide a bonus to alertness and pleasant-mood.

Will go well with the chocolate-biscuits - can you craft them in the beta?

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I haven't yet made up my mind on the issue. Playing within the Beta, I found myself constantly weighing my curiosity against my desire not to waste resources or risk injury. In the past I would have unquestionably generated as many corpses as possible in an environment, because there was no incentive to do otherwise. I now found myself fighting things when a chest or path was obstructed--and then only if my characters couldn't resolve it with stealth first.

I will admit that the lack of combat experience in a game which focuses so heavily on combat does feel contradictory and irksome. Ultimately, I didn't feel it that detrimental though. I realized that I was now exploring purely out of curiosity than an experience-driven-blood-haze. The part which might make it irrelevant, is that the need for XP may just be replaced by the desire for loot. Many chests have been inaccessible without killing something, and then enemies themselves hold items I would not have had otherwise. I suppose the blood for gold is its own reward.

Being that I am a completionist, I very much doubt my experience will be impacted one way or the other.

^ Because the game is still fresh and new for all of us, curiosity is going to be a significantly weighted incentive. Absolutely.

What happens 14 years from now though, when we've all played the game dozens of times and we've memorized it? Will we still enjoy exploration (like many of us still do in the IE games)? My guess is: probably not. At that point Loot will be an overly weighted incentive. They better not f*ck that up at least.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

^ Because the game is still fresh and new for all of us, curiosity is going to be a significantly weighted incentive. Absolutely.

What happens 14 years from now though, when we've all played the game dozens of times and we've memorized it? Will we still enjoy exploration (like many of us still do in the IE games)? My guess is: probably not.

Well, I'd say let's meet in 14 years here :D

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

^for me, it depends what's there.

Even in BG I might not explore an area that's just mobs anymore - but I will if there's something more interesting there (yes, it's metagaming for my PC to not bother with that map but bother with this one, but I don't care, I've played it enough times to overlook a map if I want to).

But lighthouse and caves? Mad cleric and his 'family'?  That's still fun to 'stumble onto'

(side-point, I think I've only ever once gotten to hear of the mad-cleric quest before running across him).

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Well, I for one am crying bloody murder! Ice wind dale had combat XP, worked just fine. I thought that was the kind of game I´m paying for? (if it ain't broke don't fix it) So stopp trolling around! Cos this is´nt what you advertised.

Gotta love those farmers/little girls with their missing dolls that have righteous authority over the land.

Amen! XD

So your stance is that the developers should discourage "kill grinding for XP", but promote "kill grinding for loot".

Ok. I disagree by the way. From what I've played of the beta, The loot drops did not inspire me.

No, I am merely disagreeing that 'combat xp' is necessary to be motivated to explore the world you're in. This is an RPG, half the fun of these kinds of games is exploring and looting along with story/dialogue/characters/combat not the 'xp' which is there solely for stratification purposes/segregation. Exploring unknown lands, seeing new sights, fighting through dungeons and loot galore, these are all 'fun' and if you don't seem to want to fight solely because of the absence of 'combat xp' then I would think you'd be happy to not be obliged to do so to advance/develop your character.

What happens 14 years from now though, when we've all played the game dozens of times and we've memorized it? Will we still enjoy exploration (like many of us still do in the IE games)? My guess is: probably not. At that point Loot will be an overly weighted incentive. They better not f*ck that up at least.

i think it is too much to ask from any developer to make a game that will not be tiresome to play through after 14 years of putting it through the wringer with repeated playthroughs.

Edited by sanian

What happens 14 years from now though, when we've all played the game dozens of times and we've memorized it? Will we still enjoy exploration (like many of us still do in the IE games)? My guess is: probably not.

Well, I'd say let's meet in 14 years here 

This marshmallow is adorable. I could just eat you up!

• Like 1

i think it is too much to ask from any developer to make a game that will not be tiresome to play through after 14 years of putting it through the wringer with repeated playthroughs.

This I do agree with.

Man, I should stop staying up so late on the Obsidian forums; it's making me cranky. Obsidian; do whatever you want with xp. I still want exploration xp, but my freaking out about it was just silly. 

• Like 1