No experience from combat

prince87x

Its rediculous that people here really think that kill-xp has anything to do with the success of baldurs gate. Baldurs gate got released at a time when the rpg genre was basicaly dead. Their was nothing else beside some weird low quality stuf no one wanted. People would have bought anything half decent at this point. Also, baldurs gate is really new school, play some wizardry or ultima if you so desperatly want old-school.

Fallout. 1997.

Baldur's Gate. 1998.

Yeah, genre was dead when BG got released. Yes, it was dead. LOL.

Yes it was, do you know why I know that? Because I experienced it. ALL the big rpg series where dead, no company dared to make new ones, their was not a single good RPG for years.

We have been playing different games then :)

• Like 1

Yes it was, do you know why I know that? Because I experienced it. ALL the big rpg series where dead, no company dared to make new ones, their was not a single good RPG for years.

Look, it's kinda brave statement from a person who even doesn't bother to fill his age in profile.

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

I never said they were a major draw. I said they weren't a failure. They clearly didn't ruin the IE game's success; thus they aren't a failed mechanic.

You are too funny. You have no idea what correlation is do you?

Actually I do. However there is no correlation here. Tell me, if I said there would be chairs in poe would that be something to get excited about. For most people; I doubt it. That wouldn't mean chairs are a failure.

I agree! There is no correlation between the popularity of BG and killxp. So what was your original argument supposed to be again?

That the kill xp wasn't a failure. It did what it was supposed to do. The point of the mechanic was to help the player level up; it did that, and did so without causing the game to fail.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Its rediculous that people here really think that kill-xp has anything to do with the success of baldurs gate. Baldurs gate got released at a time when the rpg genre was basicaly dead. Their was nothing else beside some weird low quality stuf no one wanted. People would have bought anything half decent at this point. Also, baldurs gate is really new school, play some wizardry or ultima if you so desperatly want old-school.

The rpg genre was dead? BS. Look online; there were plenty of rpgs that came out in 1996.

I dont need to look it up because I lived at that time and was old enough to actually buy stuff myself. Every single big RPG series was dead, no eye of beholder, no ultima, no might and magic no ishar no lands of lore etc. they all died out and got replaced with action adventures and first person shooters.

"30 November marked a special anniversay in PC gaming: the 15th anniversary of the release of Baldur's Gate. Released in late 1998, just a few weeks after the all-crushingHalf-LifeBaldur's Gate had every bit as major an impact on gaming. It was the first RPG released by BioWare, still one of the biggest names in the business, and arguably saved the Western RPG genre from descending into obscurity."

This is what press writes about baldurs gate.

Yes. Giving players multiple ways to acquire their XP rewards is always better.

The problem is that some people simply cannot understand that the concepts are not mutually exclusive. You can have combat XP in a system where Objectives and quests and diplomacy and stealth and hand placed stuff ALSO exists.

Baldurs Gate 2 was a far better RPG than Shadow Run Returns.

Overall BG2 is a better RPG than SRR, but what SRR did it did very well. And if you  tried to do that in IE engine it would have been worse of. Only getting xp from quests and discoveries worked well for SRR and it was closer to its pen and paper. 

Since killing things was the primary way to advance in levels in the vast majority of those RPGs, they didn't have to. It was a given. Just like they didn't ask if we missed having mages in our party. Or if we missed doing quests for XP. Or if we missed real time with pause. Or if we missed item descriptions on magic items.

RTwP is a given? I bet you had strong opinions about the new Torment eh? :)

There's no such thing as a new Torment.

I will always have strong negative opinions whenever someone biggy-backs on the success of the infinity engine games in order to get our money, and then decides to create a 'successor' that intentionally spits in those games faces.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

XP for kills is classic old-school mechanic of all RPGs. 

No XP for kill = this game has nothing to do with old-school RPGs and is worse that Dragon Age 2

Way to hyperbole. 

They never said they will make old game. They said they will try to recapture magic of old games, not their flaws or mechanics to the boot. It is 2014 after all. 

Unless you want all of 2000s stuff and 640x480 resolution to go with it as well ?

Oh, so granting XP for kills is flaw? Maybe you know some popular modern RPG that doesn't use this 'flawed mechanic'. Witcher maybe? LOL

No to experimentation!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

No XP for kill = this game has nothing to do with old-school RPGs and is worse that Dragon Age 2

Way to hyperbole. 

They never said they will make old game. They said they will try to recapture magic of old games, not their flaws or mechanics to the boot. It is 2014 after all. 

Unless you want all of 2000s stuff and 640x480 resolution to go with it as well ?

Fun fact: an unmodded BG2 can be played at 2048x1536 :p.

Way to hyperbole. 

Oh, so granting XP for kills is flaw? Maybe you know some popular modern RPG that doesn't use this 'flawed mechanic'. Witcher maybe? LOL

I never said it was flaw. Just that it's not the end of the world and can have a positive impact. Give it a try.

Witcher is actually using killing xp really good. For gathering more info about your prey and so on. Geralt is a monster hunter afterall. Anyways, Shadowrun Returns also does not give kill xp. Just objectives xp. It works just fine too.

Edited by Killyox

The rpg genre was dead? BS. Look online; there were plenty of rpgs that came out in 1996.

I dont need to look it up because I lived at that time and was old enough to actually buy stuff myself. Every single big RPG series was dead, no eye of beholder, no ultima, no might and magic no ishar no lands of lore etc. they all died out and got replaced with action adventures and first person shooters.

"30 November marked a special anniversay in PC gaming: the 15th anniversary of the release of Baldur's Gate. Released in late 1998, just a few weeks after the all-crushingHalf-LifeBaldur's Gate had every bit as major an impact on gaming. It was the first RPG released by BioWare, still one of the biggest names in the business, and arguably saved the Western RPG genre from descending into obscurity."

Nonsense as well. 1998 may have been a bad year for pc rpgs, but console rpgs were doing just fine.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I never said it was flaw. Just that it's not the end of the world and can have a positive impact. Give it a try.

No I won't give it a try. Cause I've paid my money for a game that should be successor of IE games and that would use best mechanics from 3 of them (BG, IWD and PST). I haven't paid my money for experimentation and 'giving a try'. 

Yes, I understand that this guy (J.S. Sawyer, if I remember his second name correctly) as a game designer likes to try new mechanics, likes to experiment. Fine. Go to publisher and ask their money for new 'experimental, revolutionary RPG'. No. He went to me. And said: "Hamster! I need you money to create successor for IE games that you like so much! Give me you money, hamster, and I will do a game that will include exploration as in BG, combat as in IWD and story as in PST."

• Like 2

No to experimentation!

That the kill xp wasn't a failure. It did what it was supposed to do. The point of the mechanic was to help the player level up; it did that, and did so without causing the game to fail.

What is this I don't even...

So you were never even trying to argue killxp is good. Just that it won't tank sales? Oooooook. If you seriously thought by failure I meant that it tanked sales or that it didn't level people up then you are hopeless.

Edited by Shdy314

Hey look. Mrak is the fourth person now to make the same intellectually bankrupt argument! Congrats Hamster.

• Like 1

Hey look. Mrak is the fourth person now to make the same intellectually bankrupt argument! Congrats Hamster.

Yeah, I'm just hamster after all, I couldn't be compared to those PoE-fanboy elitists that will defend any idea from Obsidian, regardless of its quality.

No to experimentation!

Nonsense as well. 1998 may have been a bad year for pc rpgs, but console rpgs were doing just fine.

We are not talking about console RPG's here, you were obviously not old enough to experience it. But whatever this thread like the "uh its not baldurs gate 3" thread are basicaly just stages for 3 drama queens and I frankly dont give a damn.

We are not talking about console RPG's here, you were obviously not old enough to experience it. But whatever this thread like the "uh its not baldurs gate 3" thread are basicaly just stages for 3 drama queens and I frankly dont give a damn.

Another brave statement. I'm starting to think that it's you who was too young at that time.

No to experimentation!

I love how you guys are getting into historical revisionism to support your petty arguments.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Yeah, I'm just hamster after all, I couldn't be compared to those PoE-fanboy elitists that will defend any idea from Obsidian, regardless of its quality.

Are you implying moi is a fanboi? Damn. How did you figure it out? It was because I disagreed with you wasn't it? I knew that would make it too obvious. Only a retarded blind and deaf fool would argue against the genius that is Hamster. Of course you have found me out. Everything in PoE is awful. I just love corporations. The way they shield individuals from legal liability. They are people too! The supreme court said so and people just need to be loved!

Of course you are a dirty killxp fanboi. So I guess we both suck and deserve each other.

Are you implying moi is a fanboi? Damn. How did you figure it out? It was because I disagreed with you wasn't it? I knew that would make it too obvious. Only a retarded blind and deaf fool would argue against the genius that is Hamster. Of course you have found me out. Everything in PoE is awful. I just love corporations. The way they shield individuals from legal liability. They are people too! The supreme court said so and people just need to be loved!

Of course you are a dirty killxp fanboi. So I guess we both suck and deserve each other.

Wow, wow, wow. I've never said that you are elitist fanboy ;)

Actually I implied other ppl :)

Edited by Mrakvampire

No to experimentation!

Oh yeah uh good. Cause Im not. Totally. :getlost:

You are very very bad man - who would dare abuse a hamster!  :biggrin:

No to experimentation!

Oh yeah uh good. Cause Im not. Totally. :getlost:

You are very very bad man - who would dare abuse a hamster!  :biggrin:

I did know a guy named Minsc. I think he put his hamster through an awful lot... Was it abusive? I was never sure. I didn't speak miniature giant space hamster. Does squeak mean help me!?

Edited by Shdy314

I did know a guy named Minsc. I think he put his hamster through an awful lot... Was it abusive? I was never sure. I didn't speak miniature giant space hamster. Does squeak mean help me!?

Actually I'm relative (albeit distant one) to Boo. And 'squeak' can mean a lot of things, cause human ear can't percieve slight changes in intonation and pronunciation. 

But I can assure you - Boo was a great hero, and wanted to help people around the world. True example of a hamster.

No to experimentation!

Actually I'm relative (albeit distant one) to Boo. And 'squeak' can mean a lot of things, cause human ear can't percieve slight changes in intonation and pronunciation. 

But I can assure you - Boo was a great hero, and wanted to help people around the world. True example of a hamster.

Of Boo's heroism I had no doubt. I just always thought the relationship was a bit... sketchy.