Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Character Creation Aesthetics and STUFF

CC Character Creation Art

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Thundercat710

Thundercat710

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

They all look fine to me in-game, playing almost all the way zoomed out @ 2560x1600.  The amount of jaggies at character building and inventory screens is retro-fabulous and makes my eyes leak blood.  Love it.  Would also love to see it sharpened up as much as possible, some day.  

Cabamacadaf

Cabamacadaf

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I think all of the currently available options for the character customization look awful, luckily you won't really see them much because of the top-down perspective though.

Sirabot

Sirabot

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Some of you guys are quick to defend what's present by saying it looks "decent" or looks "good enough". I believe Obsidian are made of sterner stuff than "decent" or "good enough".

• Maf and Havelok like this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Some of you guys are quick to defend what's present by saying it looks "decent" or looks "good enough". I believe Obsidian are made of sterner stuff than "decent" or "good enough".

Triple the budget while keeping the scope and mechanics the same, and I've no doubt they could make it look a lot better.

For $4M, I'm more than happy with how it looks.

• Malekith and Lasweetlife like this

Sirabot

Sirabot

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Triple the budget while keeping the scope and mechanics the same, and I've no doubt they could make it look a lot better.

For $4M, I'm more than happy with how it looks.

Well I'm not. I was creating a character, a human mind you. My wife walked over to my PC and burst out in laughter and ask "what is that?" I then realized how silly the character looked. They look terrible, stumpy, and 3-4 identically proportioned faces. You can be content if you like, but by doing so you're not striving for quality, you're settling for less. That's the kind of thinking that gave way to EA's rise to power and Activision's call of dooty's yearly releases. You actually hurt the game by detouring the developers to improve based on others' feedback. Especially in this situation where the character models and textures are CLEARLY poor. whether or not this is strictly a beta issue that would eventually resolve itself, I can't say. I'm not going to wait and see either. I'm going to give feedback and ask for more, I want this game to be the best it can be, because I care about it.

Edited by Sirabot, 20 August 2014 - 05:14 AM.

• AdaMusic, Moirnelithe and Kronos like this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh, poppy**** @Sirabot. I just have different priorities. They have a limited budget. If you want prettier graphics, they'll have to allocate more of that budget to graphics and less to systems and content, and I would much rather play a BG2-scale game that looks like this than a Shadowrun Returns scale game that looks a lot better TYVM.

• Waywocket, Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son and 3 others like this

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think people are getting too caught up with the 3D models. They look crap, but I don't know why they're even there. Dump them and replace them with portraits and paper dolls, like in the IE games. We're going to be watching them from far up in the sky throughout the game, their only function right now is to slow down menus and look ugly.

• Maf, AdaMusic, Kronos and 4 others like this

Sirabot

Sirabot

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh, poppy**** @Sirabot. I just have different priorities. They have a limited budget. If you want prettier graphics, they'll have to allocate more of that budget to graphics and less to systems and content, and I would much rather play a BG2-scale game that looks like this than a Shadowrun Returns scale game that looks a lot better TYVM.

Well that's like, your opinion man.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

@Sirabot That they need to decide how to allocate their budget between systems, graphics, and content is a fact. My priorities are my opinion. "Settling for less, not striving for quality, and ruining the industry" is childish whining. 

• Karkarov likes this

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3196 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't care at all about how the models look up-close to be honest. They don't look particularly good I think but ít's just such a small thing in the grand scheme of things. They look fine from above when playing the game, that's the most important bit I think.

Would love definitely love more portraits though. It *does* create a bit of a weird thing when you customize your 3d toon, and then there's no portrait that looks like it. In that regard, I would prefer it if they just had a very standard paper-doll. 

But yeah, I wouldn't want them to waste resources on changing it now.

Maviarab

Maviarab

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 92 posts

If you are going to do something, what is the answer?

Do it right.

So, the 3D character models in the CC either need some 'serious' work.....or scrap them completely.  Currently, they are half-assed and look like something a 7 year old made. Seriously people, they were are worse than NWN2/Kotor Characters.  We are in 2014 for God's sake.

Personally I would just remove them completely, less resources

Edited by Maviarab, 20 August 2014 - 06:33 AM.

• Moirnelithe, Kronos, Michael_Galt and 1 other like this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No, but I at least expect more options than was offered in Neverwinter nights 2.

Okay I don't mind people hating on the models a ton because you are right they are not top shelf high end Crysis models going on here.  Of course anyone with common sense knew that was never going to happen.

Neverwinter Nights 2 character models do look better, you are right.  Of course they are also far larger, the game was fully 3d and designed to be played with a much closer view (you could even play it with an over the shoulder view), and yeah.... the budget was likely a metric ton larger.  Pillars of Eternity had a 4.5 million or so budget, that is chump change when compared to most modern games.  They also had to make a heavily modified version of the unity engine, stick to their core concepts of a re-imagining of Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games (which I feel handicaps more than helps), and build an entire world, it's lore, and create a new unique rule system to govern it.

Something had to give, and since you only see the character models from a great distance every once in awhile close up it is pretty obvious where the giving should start.

That said the models do look better than the Wasteland 2 Models and I find it really funny you guys actually like that snapshot feature considering how outright ugly those characters look.

Edited by Karkarov, 20 August 2014 - 06:40 AM.

• Malekith, Balgin Stondraeg and InsaneCommander like this

adhuin

adhuin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Instead of large 3d-models in character creation, why not have multiple small ones?

When Choosing race, it could show all Races with subgroups.

When Choosing culture, it could show all the options at the same time!

Side-by-side comparison could make choosing hair/beard style easier.

• Shallow and bigsun123 like this

Kuripakk

Kuripakk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm also in favor of scrapping the 3D characters from the creator/inventory completely. Since the characters and faces are so silly and ugly I'd rather not have to look at them up close at all, and since they're barely going to be visible in-game anyway, there are probably better ways to spend the time it would take to get them up to snuff with enough variety.

Edited by Kuripakk, 20 August 2014 - 11:29 AM.

• Moirnelithe, Kronos and Malekith like this

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

They look better than the WL2 models at least.  Nevertheless, I would love to see WL2's snapshot feature since I doubt there will be enough portraits to portray every single customization option in the game.

• Wintersong likes this

Msxyz

Msxyz

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would remove 3D characters as well. considering the few resources available, they are betterspent elsewhere.
  • Kronos likes this

akaGryWolf

akaGryWolf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I place my vote for losing the current style portraits. With a system that allows for customization of character facial details should come the ability to show a snapshot of that in the portrait box. I don't care if the current portraits stay, just provide an option for the snapshot.

Dwarf (Male) - Head should be shorter and wider. Looks to elongated in the customization screen.

Elf (Male) - Very dark and sinister in appearance. Even after selecting a different "head".

Cabamacadaf

Cabamacadaf

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts

Removing the 3D models would take a lot more work than just keeping them the way they are, I seriously doubt they would do anything as drastic as that.

• Balgin Stondraeg likes this

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

I'm also in favor of scrapping the 3D characters from the creator/inventory completely. Since the characters and faces are so silly and ugly I'd rather not have to look at them up close at all, and since they're barely going to be visible in-game anyway, there are probably better ways to spend the time it would take to get them up to snuff with enough variety.

This, 100%.

It's the basic principle of good design: if you can't do it properly, don't do it at all. That's why we have the scripted 2D-image events and not cutscenes.

We don't need 3D character customization aside from the colors. You won't see those things ingame anyway, with helmets on.

It's perfectly fine to only have one generic haircut per race, as long as you play in birdseye view. Nobody cares if the portrait doesn't match the haircut of the 3D model if the head is only 30 pixels wide ingame. I know I didn't care in the IE games at all.

Show the portrait only on character creation and only show the 3D model when you pick hair colors. At ingame scale. Kind of like it was in the IE games.

The inventory image of the character could be replaced by a full-body portrait (like in IWD where you had a full body portrait in the character screen and the cropped head-only portrait for the UI) or just removed completely. Why do we even need a preview if we can see how our character looks ingame?

I feel that the focus on larger-scale customizable 3D models is just a waste of resources for a game that has an isometric camera anyway.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 21 August 2014 - 01:16 AM.

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The thing about this topic is that creating 2D paperdolls like in the IE games is a LOT more work than simply having the 3D models like we do now. And IMO these models look fine. Not great, but not below average either, and definitely not as bad as some people are suggesting. Overall, armor and weapons look very nice on them (better than NWN2) and they basically serve their function.

Some people seem to be forgetting how bad the original BG2 paperdolls look (most people probably use 1PP these days) and the fact that IWD2 didn't even have paperdolls but just used the characters' sprites in character creation and the inventory screens. I love BG1 and IWD's paperdolls but they're a lot of work to create, they are non-scalable and they can't be rotated. I think the models are at the very least an improvement over the way BG2 and IWD2 handled things -- in a perfect world of unlimited possibilities we would have beautifully detailed 2D paperdolls but it's just not feasable, and I much rather see developer resources spent elsewhere.

• Karkarov and Cabamacadaf like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CC, Character Creation, Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users