Perception, Resolve, and dump stats! Oh, my!

Ganrich

Just for reference:

Resolve - noun 1. firm determination to do something.

"she received information that strengthened her resolve"

synonyms: decision, resolution, commitment

"he made a resolve not to go there again"

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I'm not sure about the argument concerning ranged characters. By the same logic, they don't need to opt into constitution as well, so where do you see the difference?

Even then, it's is imaginable that the KI later on might focus the spellcasters and ranged characters with their own ranged attackers. Wouldn't that fix the situation?

Well that is just it, they don't need to opt into Con with or without perception/resolve changes.  So it is a non issue, Con has always been and will always be important though because no matter what someone in your party will get hit eventually and or fight in melee.  Con just doesn't enter into this issue.

Assuming we gotta have 6 stats, I would again, suggest either what I already said or maybe just scrap the interrupt since lots of people don't like it and go with Perception = some sort of deflection bonus + crit percent and resolve = + crit damage and - crit damage when you take a crit yourself.

In many ways that would be super elegant because you could then see natural stat groups... the two hander cipher will want might, resolve, and "some" dex/con.  Meanwhile they can mostly dump int and perception.  You hit hard, and when you do crit they are massively devastating.  The ranged rogue with a bow can go hard into dex/perception and only sorta at might/resolve then dump int and con.  He is at range so rarely gets hit, no real aoes, and while his individual hits wont be huge they will attack fast, hit often, and crit fairly constantly to compensate for the lower base damage.

Edited by Karkarov

How about letting resolve increase range of weapons / spells and tying interruption and defence against interruption to perception?

I think the range idea is a really good idea as it is a dimension entirely untouched by the other attributes while still useful to have. It's also interesting for most of the classes.

The thing that should absolutely be tied to perception is the range of both attacks and spells! 1perception=0,5m

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Sensuki, you've dismissed the usefulness of having Perception increase crit damage on the grounds that one needs Dex for that to be useful, but the same applies to pretty much all stats. Possible synergy between two attributes doesn't seem like a reason to avoid implementing a mechanic. More Int --> more chances to crit with area attacks, more Might --> more damage on a successful crit... it only doesn't stack with the defensive attributes, unsurprisingly.

If you're worried about it being very specific to a particular event, i.e. landing a crit, you could have it modify the graze multiplier as well, I suppose. Becomes a matter of balancing the effects of more reliable hits when you're attacking a target whose defences are much stronger and spiking damage when its defences are poor.

Haven't yet come up with a compelling offensive mechanic for Resolve... could let Perception improve crits and Resolve mitigate grazes, which seems not entirely artificial, but too similar for the two.

Edit: Given people's complaints about DT, it does sound like people might find penetration appealing, but I should look up why Josh decided against it. It could fit either of these stats.

Edited by Cthulchulain

Won't work because ranged characters don't need to opt into the Interrupt/Concentration system

Well, forgive me if I am wrong, but all stats may be useful for all CLASSES but that doesn't mean they need to be useful for all CLASS BUILDS. If someone wants to may a melee ranger or wizard or whatever, they may opt for those stats. If they do not, then they will stay away from them.  I am sure they stated more talents would be going in and that a variety of build types will be viable for all classes. Surely, all stats shouldnt be equally useful for all build types. That would make stats, basically, meaningless.

Another pretty simple solution would be to merge resolve and perception into a new attribute that could be called presence or sth.

The attributes are already a little bit more abstract (esp. might). Why not just use an attribute that gives concentration and interruption and uses the dialogue options that were formerly used by resolve and perception. You could also fine tune the dialogue options where they don't make sense with the new attribute and give them another attribute or skill. 

Edit: I don't know how important it is to people to have 6 attributes though.

Edited by Sir Davion

Has any one tried making a High Int, Dex & Perception mage with AOE spells and seeing what they do to enemies yet, (AOE long duration & Interrupt...)? Or an Archer/Ranged char with High Perception and Dex to see if they can be used to lock down enemy abilities with lots of Interrupts?

Or a high Resolve, Dex & Con Monk, Wizard or Cipher focused on short range or touch based abilities, that rarely get interrupted (Concentration)?

Can't wait till the beta is available for OSX to try out those sorts of builds.

Edited by aeonsim