Beta performance

Kevadu

Is the performance of the beta supposed to be at all representative of the final product?  Because it runs so slow on my computer it's nearly unplayable.  OK, this isn't exactly a gaming machine, it's an ultrabook.  But it's only like a year old and has a Haswell i5 in it.  And I had assumed that since this was a mostly 2D game it ought to still be able to run acceptably.  But what I've found isn't acceptable at all.  Just scrolling the viewpoint to see more of the map takes forever.  Makes the whole game a chore to play.

Performance is pretty bad overall. UI elements lag the game, dialogue lags the game and some areas for some reason have a horrible frame rate (such as the Dyrford Ruins).

Mind you it's not as bad as Wasteland 2's beta until they fixed it like 2 weeks ago, so there's hope yet.

I've noticed that the game doesn't use any of my logical cores. Haven't checked GPU usage yet.

I think it's the 2D/3D animations that cause FPS drops in the environment.

I get 120 FPS+ in Shadowrun Returns and Expeditions Conquistador, no reason I can't in PE if they optimize it properly.

Edited by Sensuki

Is the performance of the beta supposed to be at all representative of the final product?  Because it runs so slow on my computer it's nearly unplayable.  OK, this isn't exactly a gaming machine, it's an ultrabook.  But it's only like a year old and has a Haswell i5 in it.  And I had assumed that since this was a mostly 2D game it ought to still be able to run acceptably.  But what I've found isn't acceptable at all.  Just scrolling the viewpoint to see more of the map takes forever.  Makes the whole game a chore to play.

How much RAM does that ultrabook have? The maps are enormous images loaded into memory and each one has several different version (for lightmaps and such) so any computer without a lot of memory is probably going to have issues, although they did say recently they are working on that.

How much RAM does that ultrabook have? The maps are enormous images loaded into memory and each one has several different version (for lightmaps and such) so any computer without a lot of memory is probably going to have issues, although they did say recently they are working on that.

4 GB

The game uses up about 2GB of ram for me (with a map loaded). That said the maps I've been to so far have been on the small-medium size.

(That is on top of what my system already uses with Chrome open [~2.5GB], so ~4.5GB total)

I don't think it's the memory usage that makes it run bad. It's just engine/code optimization.

Edited by Sensuki

I would love to see how the game performs...if not the fact, that it crashes on every startup. 

I really hope that it's just the build, not my laptop. It is few years old, all right, but I played goddamned Witcher 2 on it just fine. 

Gah, I'm so sad ;(

I'm also on a laptop but my setup is a little 'special' because I use an external video card (GTX 660) when gaming. I've also got 8GB of ram.

Anyway, the biggest perofrmance annoyance right now is the in-game UI elements, especially the character screens. Very laggy. I'm sure they will be improved a great deal over the course of beta.

Also loading screens are currently really unpredictable and wonky, with some taking as little as 4-5 seconds and some taking upwards of 20-30.

I would love to see how the game performs...if not the fact, that it crashes on every startup. 

I really hope that it's just the build, not my laptop. It is few years old, all right, but I played goddamned Witcher 2 on it just fine. 

Gah, I'm so sad ;(

It's just the build.

Performance is always left for the end.

Alpha is focused on features of the game, beta on polishing them and the game overall and end of beta is focused on making performance better when all else is taken care of.

• Like 1

Well for me the game isnt really playable outside the village since the game crashes as soon as i try to load a new map. Im playing on my five (or more) year old lappy.

Specs. Intel core duo 2.13 GHZ, 3 GB ram, ati radeon 4650 HD (mobile version since its a lappy).

Overall i didnt expect amazing performance, but im able to play games like skyrim, divinity original sin etc. so i thought i would be able to run the beta. Ahh well i guess need to w8 untill i have acess to my stationary (should be at the end of the week, yay =/)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato

Not even if you have the best machine in the world can you avoid performance downs of any game in a beta stage.

What you need to play the game in its best current state at this time is to play it on the same hardware/software that Obsidian uses themselves, and even then you'll encounter technical issues. Otherwise just wait, because it'll get better and better with time.

Me and my friend had a lot of technical problems with Divinity: Original Sin Early Access (crashes, glitches, clipping through objects, lag, things not working, things not being clickable, sudden death etc. etc.), but it got periodically and progressively fixed until it became the beauty we see today :)

First of all, sorry for my poor English.

I have the same problem. The beta does not run on my Laptop. The characters move awfully slow and after about thirty minutes, the pc shuts down because it goes in overheating. My Laptop is a W7, with Intel I3, 8Gb of memory and a ATI Mobility HD 5650. I know very well that my computer is not powerful, but only in the last two years I played intensely DSIII, Skyrim (which is heavily modded), Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3, Alpha Protocol, Witcher 2, Diablo 3 and many others. Playing at a resolution between 1366x768 and 1280x768 I almost never had any problems. Only after I installed high definition textures for Skyrim, my Laptop has given me some problems.

So how is possible that a game like Pillars Of Eternity, although more recent than those mentioned, but designed as retro, going to create me all these problems, making it impossible to play it?  I'm aware that a Beta version has many problems, and the hardware requirements are a bit 'higher than normal. But this beta version is totally unplayable in some Laptops of 2011-2012, not 2005, presenting lag even in the character menu.

In any case, what is certain is that after almost two years of waiting from the backing I can't test a game that i had financed partly because I hoped it didn't give me such problems.  In short, I have to buy another laptop just to play Pillars of Eternity?