They really should make lockpicking automatic

I mean, its annoying that even though you have one party member with right amount of mechanic that you have to select him/her individually every time you want something to be unlocked <_< Especially since when you have whole party selected, the one who responds to click is the one closest to door/chest.

That's how we want it, since that's how we're used to it. 

Speak for yourself. I'd love to not have to switch party members to pick locks. It doesn't add anything to gameplay, it just quizzes you to make sure you can remember who's the party rogue.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I thought it was a smart implementation. Or perhaps it could be called "simulation" of how the Infinity Engine games handled it. Except now we don't need to individually select the character AND individually select the ability/skill "Thievery". This way is way better.

In essence: Pillars of Eternity automates "Thievery".

I like it :)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

It doesn't necessarily need to be "Fighter picks the locks if rogue has high enough skill", it could be that the character who has highest mechanism skill(instead of the one who is closest) is the one who goes to do lockpicking if whole party is chosen :p Duh, wasn't that obvious? <_<

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 2

It doesn't necessarily need to be "Fighter picks the locks if rogue has high enough skill", it could be that the character who has highest mechanism skill(instead of the one who is closest) is the one who goes to do lockpicking if whole party is chosen :p Duh, wasn't that obvious? <_<

If you need to pick a lock there's a decent chance there might also be traps nearby. Might not wanna trust automatic path finding in that situation.

• Like 2

<_< Ummm... Trap in an in? Trap in random door in random village? Trap before the door in dungeon that was already disarmed by me when I noticed it?

Yeaaaah, I don't get what you mean. The way game currently works is that if all party members are chosen and you try to lock pick something, the one trying to open the door is the one closest to it instead of the one who CAN do it. Whats wrong with making it automatic who in the party attempts to open the door?

Its kinda like how annoying it is that when party loot is full, you have to every time select stash before you are allowed to press take all.

Edited by BrokenMask

Chest in a dungeon. I can just see the player maneuvering the party around traps and then absent minded clicking the chest only to watch his/her rogue walk right into death. Maybe playing BG2 has made me too paranoid about this, cause that game is sadistic about trap placement.

Edited by Arouet

Chest in a dungeon. I can just see the player maneuvering the party around traps and then absent minded clicking the chest only to watch his/her rogue walk right into death. Maybe playing BG2 has made me too paranoid about this, cause that game is sadistic about trap placement.

So whats preventing you absent mindlendly clicking and sending the closest non rogue walking into his/her death? :p

i like it as it is. don't change. its an old school RPG 

...Since when the old school RPG means doing things inefficiently?

I don't understand why selecting the character is odd. I would think the character with the skill should have to perform the action. 

It would be really odd for my fighter to be picking locks when my rogue has the skill. 

Because its fricking annoying to double click every time I want to open a door when I don't move my characters individually outside of combat.

It wouldn't be that bad if it required single click, but double clicking is really darn annoying

So either they should make it so that single click to portrait is enough or that when everyone is selected, the one who tries to open the door is the one with highest mechanism skill

Let's compare it to how Wasteland 2 does it: You can have whole party selected, but you can still have one character in party selected who does the action you tell party to do.

Heck, that'd be good alternative as well, allow me to pick one character in party to do lock picking without having to deselect whole party first

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 2

That's how we want it, since that's how we're used to it. 

The entire mechanic of switching characters is extremely confusing, especially since there seems to be no real order in which they talk to people, nor does talking to people with a character that is not your main do anything.

• Like 3

If you have your party selected and try to pick a lock, the character with the best chance at picking the lock should path to the lock and attempt to pick the lock.

I also think that the party should have a party leader and there should be options for controlling the behavior of the party with respect to the party leader.

• Like 3