Did Merchant Interaction Have To Be So Tiresome?

Stun

Talking about the mechanic itself. The trading interface. Not that it's impossible to figure out how to buy, sell, and trade, but I find the whole process unintuitive and quite inelegant. And there's definitely some bugs.

Small list of gripes:

-lets say you want to buy something in the Merchant's stock. Ok, you can't just click on it and buy it. You must first bring it down to his side of the trade grid. That's fine. But then lets say you've changed your mind. Oops. Too bad. You can't put it back. If you try to drag it back up to his stock, the cursor will just replace it with another item. The only way to exit the situation is to exit the trading interaction itself.

-while trading with a merchant, the party's gold is shown with a decimal point value. I believe my party had 7783.6 copper. That makes no sense, and it took me a minute to realize I actually had 7783.6 copper, instead of 77836 copper.

-The Blacksmith in Dyrford only has 5000 copper. <sigh> This is not enough to make trading with a merchant anything but a headache. Instead, you just copied Skyrim's tedious nonsense. Rule of thumb: If a normal, standard brigadine chest piece is worth 6300 copper, please allow us to sell it...without having to engage in 101-steps-to-success. You're not forcing realism, nor are you adding any meaningful 'tactical minigame to the economy' by doing this. You're just making things annoying.

-Merchant stock Prices for everything change when you've got stuff in your side of the trading grid...and then they don't. Here's what happened: The merchant had a magic greatsword he was selling for 10,000 copper. I couldn't afford it, so I decided to trade a bunch of junk from my inventory. So I put up 4 stilletos, some fine armor and a war hammer on my side. That brought the Greatsword's price down to about 4000 copper. Great. I can afford it now. But wait, when I clicked on the trade button, it suddenly brought the price back up to 10,000 and then told me I couldn't afford it.

-The merchant stock itself. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Stuff is neither in alphabetical order, nor grouped according to item type or cost or anyting. And actually clicking on the "weapons", "Armor" and "other" buttons on the screen does nothing to change this.

That's all for now.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 3

As an extra point about the merchant interface, please let us move things directly to our stash by dragging it to that giant stash icon on the side of the interface. Don't make me put it down there like I'm going to sell it, then force me to click on the stash icon, drag the item from the bottom into the stash, then click back to the shop interface.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

-The Blacksmith in Dyrford only has 5000 copper. <sigh> This is not enough to make trading with a merchant anything but a headache. Instead, you just copied Skyrim's tedious nonsense. Rule of thumb: If a normal, standard brigadine chest piece is worth 6300 copper, please allow us to sell it...without having to engage in 101-steps-to-success. You're not forcing realism, nor are you adding any meaningful 'tactical minigame to the economy' by doing this. You're just making things annoying.

This is huge. Don't make me lug bad loot around the world to find a merchant to buy it.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that there aren't lot of people here saying "Its old school rpg, don't change it" "We like it this way" <_<

Anyway, yeah, seems like merchant inventory list is pretty much work in progress... Same with how a lot of item icons is just picture of bag even if they are equipment

I like the limited gold. But it's just a personal preference. I liked the tediousness in Fallout.

As for the decimal point - it makes sense if the merchant always rounds up on every item, and the party rounds up (or down) per item so there's no need for a decimal point.

I didn't experience the issue you had with selecting what you want to buy/cancelling.  If you single click an item it will transition between the inventory and trade space (bidirectional).

Was just about to write that.

-The merchant stock itself. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Stuff is neither in alphabetical order, nor grouped according to item type or cost or anyting. And actually clicking on the "weapons", "Armor" and "other" buttons on the screen does nothing to change this.

It darkens everything that's not under the category you selected. Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

There's a decimal point in the copper pieces?  Is this a result of local currencies being converted into the universal cp?  Surely it wouldn't break the bank to round that up or down to the nearest piece on collection.  Seems silly to display 0.6 of a copper piece.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: