Attributes review

Headbomb

First let me preface that stats aren't everything. Achieving a symmetry in distribution shouldn't be the goal (i.e. allowed for every combination of +2, +2/+1/+1, +1/+1 for all stats is just not viable. That being said, assuming the problems with racial/culture bonuses  (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66869-attribute-bonuses-are-pointless/ ) are fixed, there's another issue at play here, the racial stas can be... odd, and cultural stats are biased.

As of now, the racial bonuses are

Human:  +1 MIG, +1 RES

Aumaua: +2 MIG

Dwarf: +2 MIG, +1 CON, -1 DEX

Elf: +1 DEX, +1 PER

Orlan: -1 MIG, +2 PER, +1 RES

Godlike: +1 DEX, +1 INT

Specific problems I have:

* Human: Might bonus seems very weird. I like the idea that humans' defining characteristic is a high resolve however. (Suggestion, remove might bonus, maybe add bonus skill point, or boost to +2 RES?)

* Aumaua: No problem per se, but I can't think of any reason why I'd pick Aumaua over Dwarf. +2 MIG means high damage melee, and in melee you need the con.

* Dwarf: +2 MIG, +1 CON feels like is should be the opposite (+2 CON, +1 MIG, -1 DEX). This would be more in line with expectations that dwarves are hardy, and tough, and leave the +2 MIG to Aumaua as a defining trait. Because looking at Aumaua and Dwarves, I can't imagine for two seconds that the two races are equally strong (mighty).

* Elf: No problem that I can see

* Orlan: No problem that I can see

* Godlike: No problem that I can see

With my changes, this would become

Human:  +1 RES, + 1 skill point/Level (or alternatively, simply +2 RES)

Aumaua: +2 MIG

Dwarf: +1 MIG, +2 CON, -1 DEX

Elf: + DEX, +1 PER

Orlan: -1 MIG, +2 PER, +1 RES,

Godlike: +1 DEX, +1 INT

Not saying this HAS to be the solution, but at least the Dwarf having +2 MIG overlapping with the +2 MIG of the Aumua needs to be resolved, and humans having +1 MIG is just weird.

Culture bonuses however... those are really in need of an overhaul

+1 MIG: 1 Culture (Living Land)

+1 CON: 0 Cultures

+1 DEX: 2 Cultures (Deadfire Archipelagos, White that Wends)

+1 INT: 2 Cultures (Old Vailia, Rauatai)

+1 PER: 0 Cultures

+1 RES: 2 Cultures (Aedyr, Ixamitl Plains)

Consider switching The White That Wends from +1 DEX to +1 CON (give the harshness of the place), and Ruautai from +1 INT to +1 PER (giving they are often at sea and thus would be keen observers). This way all stats can have a cultural boost. This would become

+1 MIG: 1 Culture (Living Land)

+1 CON: 1 Culture (White that Wends)

+1 DEX: 1 Culture (Deadfire Archipelagos)

+1 INT: 1 Cultures (Old Vailia)

+1 PER: 1 Culture (Rauatai)

+1 RES: 2 Cultures (Aedyr, Ixamitl Plains)

Which I feel opens up more options to players.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 7

The problem with attributes is larger than shifting a few bonuses around I think. A month or so ago I posted my revised attribute suggestion based on the IGN video

I think I had like

Human: +1 Con, +1 Res

Elf: +1 Dex, +1 Per

Aumaua: +2 Might

Dwarf: +2 Con, +1 Might, -1 Dex (same as you)

Godlike: +1 Dex, +1 Int

Orlan: -1 Might, +2 Per, +1 Res

Two ways to get a bonus to every attribute except Int, probably not perfect but another array to consider.

Perhaps the progression of attributes should be changed to be weighted or triangular (like skills are)

That way racial and cultural bonuses represent more worth than points can buy.

Attribute bonuses might need to scale the same way though, rather than representing the current even progression?

Edited by Sensuki