How to make custom Portraits

Karkarov

Karkarov: While I really like those portraits in PoE, I think I like that art style even better. It's a tad more realistic, and I reckon it fits the POE overall art direction in the areas we've seen so far.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 3 weeks later...

Great, thanks for this guide. Now I can use my own main character image. :-)

;) Thanks!  It will be interesting to see if people get some custom pic mods running for release.  Somehow I think someone may manage it.

• 2 months later...

Usually you can use a high resolution picture, and the game will scale it for you, no ?

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Usually you can use a high resolution picture, and the game will scale it for you, no ?

Usually yes.  I can test it if you think it is really a big deal.  Personally with good image editing the resolution the game allows is more than enough.

Sorry for the double post but I can no longer edit my last one.... le sigh.  So I tested the custom portraits limits today.  I will mostly let the images speak for themselves.  The long and short of it is, yes, images that are larger than the suggested size will work.  That said, they won't work well and you should scale them to the recommended size.

XWzRAz3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does jpg format work or do I have to stick with png?

Jpegs work.  I would advise using PNG where possible as they tend to be a higher quality image in general, less artifacting etc.  As far as I know BMP and even GIF should also be okay.

• Like 1

Not sure if there's anyone interested in it, but It seems that I've found a way on how to "convert" photos to paintings. Maybe it doesn't match PoE style that much but at least looks better than a photo.

KCZYV88.png

Well, since I didn't particualry like any of the female elves portraits for the rogue that I'm planning to play I've decided look elswhere. Found an awesome one on trusty deviantart:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Blackguard-464968307

And after some tweaking (why no white hair for wood elves, Obsidian?) here it is:

2hxq2k6.png

voalx3.png

Ingame pics: 

dxn2na.jpg

1z5t2k5.jpg

2r2p2u0.jpg

Btw, resolution doesn't have to be strictly 210x330 and 76x96, it just needs to be of the exact same aspect ratio.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

Btw, resolution doesn't have to be strictly 210x330 and 76x96, it just needs to be of the exact same aspect ratio.

That's true but you should really read my post a bit further up about why you don't want to do that and why you should scale your portraits to the same size as those provided by Obsidian.

• Like 1

I did a portrait with my own face, looks a bit funny but still, it's always nice to have your own face in game.

d5IIXMK.png

making of (for those interested):

http://i.imgur.com/ID8dN90.jpg

I see you're an Oblivion model.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I like to mess around with portraits in my spare time, it's relaxing for some reason.  I had already created something that looked like the old base male paladin from BG1 (currently my forum avatar) but it was Luckmann the other day that caught my attention when he mentioned wanting an Edwin portrait so I thought it would be interesting to see if I could re-imagine some of the other BG1 portraits using existing PoE portraits.  They are all existing portraits cut up and thrown back together in photoshop.  

Not sure if I had any success, Jahiera and Dynahair are weak I think, but here is what I have so far.  

Human Paladin                              /   Jahiera (?) as Nature Godlike      /          Edwin Odeisseron                    

mhc67yX.png    gH15Fim.png    iaF8Ruo.png    

Dynaheir as Avian Godlike             /   Minsc as Aumaua                      /     Imoen as Orlan

OM8pj1s.png    Auhdb3x.png    GwuzNGb.png

• Like 5

Seriously Namu?  Be respectful.

@Rabain, good work.  I have to agree the head on imoen just doesn't fit but the others are all fairly good.  I would add there is not a lot of reason to edit the first one as it is still near identical to the ingame portrait and sadly you can't create an avian godlike so there is no need for a custom portrait of that :/.

The Edwin and Jaheira are very nice and fit right in with all the current in game portraits.  Really good job!

The main reason to edit the first one was because the portrait from BG1 is one of my favourites and the hand on face of PoE's portrait was not something I liked.  So at least for me, my version is preferred.

Maybe someone can roleplay a fake Avian Godlike that is really just an Aedyr aristocrat that likes to glue feathers to their head and pretend they are godlike.

I initially thought the Edwin picture had a red that was way too bright but it's growing on me, I think it's the harsh stare he seems to have. :)

• Like 1

Not sure how effective this is for fire godlike, just male portrait with fire godlike hair, did what i could to try to make it match:

Nice 8)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Seriously Namu?  Be respectful.

It was the armor and color scheme of the portrait that made me think of Oblivion model. I didn't mean any disrespect.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.