List of typos/spelling mistakes/grammar/inconsistancies thread

Headbomb

Question

In my experience, text mistakes are too common to create one bug report per typo, so let's have one thread where we place all the types we found (devs feel free to sticky this / update with with other information you want to have).

What you should list:

* Where you saw the mistake

* What the text currently is (with the wrong passage in bold)

* What the text should be (with the correction in bold)

Example 1:

Where: In the Chicken Shack, when you turn in the quest for Bob's Chicken Murdering Spree, Bob says

Current: "... Ha ha ha! you are not getting away!"

Expected: "... Ha ha ha! You are not getting away!"

Exemple 2:

Where: Item Description: Axe of Death that Kills

Current: "The Axe of Death that kills isa big Axe that Kills a lot of things! ..."

Expected:"The Axe of Death that Kills is a big axe that kills a lot of things! ..."

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 2

25 answers to this question

Where: Item Description: Boots of Zealous Command

Current: There is a missing linebreak between the item stats and the flavour text, see image below:

post-32092-0-50624400-1408410739_thumb.jpg

Expected: There should be a line break between the item stats and the flavour text

As mentioned in the other (wrong) forum:

Where: Sure-handed Ila Nocks her Arrows with Speed's tooltip

Current: Increases reload time and speed of ranged attacks for all allies.

Expected: Decreases reload time and increases speed of ranged attacks for all allies.

Unless, of course, the entire point of the skill is to make all your stuff fire at once then somehow make you worse off reloading. I sure hope not!

Edit: Oh, uh, also Headbomb, shouldn't the thread be saying inconsistencies? ;)

Edited by evilmiera

I wish I could edit the OP with that informatoin. It seems to be locked now. Either way, people can scan that folder and subfolders. You can open the .stringable files with a text editor (i.e. notepad. The relevant information will be presented in a format similar to this:

character.stringtable

---------------

<Entry>
<ID>25</ID>  <----THIS IS THE ID
<DefaultText>Stiletto</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

---------------

If you want to go the extra mile, add  (Exact file, <ID#>) add the top of your typo report

Edited by Headbomb

Where: Character Creation, Wild Orlan description.

Current: Wild Orlan description (Defiant Resolve): ...wild orlans temporarily gain a bonus all defenses.

Expected: Wild Orlan description (Defiant Resolve): ...wild orlans temporarily gain a bonus to all defenses.

Suggestion: When reading through the list of starting abilities, it would be easier if the ability name was bolded, followed by the description in regular text. As it stands, it all looks like one long description, as there are no blank lines between the abilities.

Yeah I've reported something similar here http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66819-character-creation-emphase-things-in-descriptions-format-them-better/. I doubt your suggestion will get a lot of attention in a typo thread, but you could add it to that post (or create another topic specifically on that)  and it will be easier for devs to see the feedback. This should just be for typos and other mistakes, rather than improvements on presentation.

I created a similar thread a few hours ago in this forum, but here goes anyway:

I haven't had time to look for this specifically. So far, I've only found one little typo:

Winfrith in Dyrford says: ”Always glad to s a new face…”. Should be ”see”.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

From http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67567-grammar-dyrford-ruins/

Where: Skean Cultist template, in the story board when clicking on the posts where you're supposed to use the grappling hook

Current: "On other side..."

Expected: "On the other side..."

I found this and fixed it (there's also a mistake later on in the same line, which I also fixed). I can't seem to upload the file though, as I get a message that the file type is not allowed to be uploaded.

*edit* Hangs head in shame. Sleep deprivation has caused me to be stupid. Will upload and attach url later.

Okay, fixed, File goes here: Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\conversations\00_dyrwood and the file can be downloaded here:

http://www.upload.ee/files/4220950/00_si_skaen_temple_bridge_02.stringtable.html

Edited by Ink Blot

MEGA WARNING! LOTS OF SPOILERS IF YOU GO INTO THE CONVERSATION/TEXT/DESCRIPTIONS!!

Bold = Typo/Spelling/Grammar/Word
(?) = Adding/not adding? Right or wrong, grammatically/thematically?

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_bs_dyrford_villager_01"

<Entry>
<ID>9</ID>
<DefaultText>"Harond's soldiers were drinking Dengler dry. Place started watering the ale just to keep it flowing."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_bs_dyrford_villager_02"

<Entry>
<ID>13</ID>
<DefaultText>"At least we're not under some tyrant like those poor sods in (the?) Gilded Vale."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_bs_dyrford_villager_03"

<Entry>
<ID>7</ID>
<DefaultText>"I don't care what happened to the ogre. I'm just glad it's leaving us alone."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

Was: "it's left us alone".

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_bs_pace"

<Entry>
<ID>3</ID>
<DefaultText>"Mind that you stay back from the oven."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

"Mind the oven please." this string can be shortened (don't use mine, that's an example)

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_cv_aelys"

<Entry>
<ID>109</ID>
<DefaultText>"There's a temple on the edge of town. I'm sure the clergy will help you find some place safe."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

"Someplace", I added spacing.

<Entry>
<ID>111</ID>
<DefaultText>"Find some place remote. Avoid the roads and keep to yourself. You can't trust anyone."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

Same as above.

********** "\conversations\00_dyrwood\00_cv_beodmar"

<Entry>
<ID>93</ID>
<DefaultText>[Lie] "I'm here on business for the duc(?)."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

<Entry>
<ID>140</ID>
<DefaultText>A weary sigh wheezes out of his throat. "If you say so. Whatever goes on in the city nowadays is beyond me."

He pulls out a faded map and points to a spot in the woods. "You'll find Clîaban Rilag here. Whatever trouble you find there, please, end it quietly(?). And try to stay out of the ruins..."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

"Quietly", "Quickly", "Quitely"?

<Entry>
<ID>142</ID>
<DefaultText>He folds his arms and stares at you with one eye and a scowl. "So this is where I say 'go into the ruins and I'll kill you' and that's when you say 'Hiravias, I'm a Watcher and you're no match for all of us and we've got a good reason for this' and then I give up trying to argue with you and leave you to dig your own tresspasser's grave."

"And I'm only being half-metaphoric, we sometimes make Dyrwoodans dig your own graves before we kill you - when the kids hear about it, it's a fabulous deterrent."</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>

"graves" instead of "grave". Is "your" and "you" grammatically correct with the rest of the sentence structure?

I have gone through "00_bs_celby" up to "00_cv_beodmar" in "\conversations\00_dyrwood". Too much spoiler. Probably won't do anymore.

Edited by Osvir

Re "Place". I believe this is supposed to be a direct use of the vernacular that the common folk use. Not an error per se, but just adding flavor to the character.

Re "The Gilded Va;e". I believe this is intentionally written as just "...Gilded Vale". It's the name of the community, much like one would say "...like those poor sods in New York".

Re 'someplace'. It's acceptable in colloquial use, which I personally think is fine in both those dialog texts.

1. "Place", it was a typo, original is "Pace". Though, that might be intended for the character "Pace". I was thinking in the context of the Dracogen Inn itself was going dry, but more coloring "Dracogen Inn/Place/Employees (not just Pace) started watering down the ale to keep It/Dracogen Inn flowing/economic/on its feet".
2. Yeah I thought so too, but still curious. You don't say "Let's go to the Sweden", my bad.
3. I thought it fit better in one ("Find some place remote"), and then thought it looked weird that the other one was "someplace". Could it be both, thematically speaking?

Edited by Osvir

3. I thought it fit better in one ("Find some place remote"), and then thought it looked weird that the other one was "someplace". Could it be both, thematically speaking?

Yeah, it could. Depends on how formal the text is intended to be. I agree it would look weird for it to be presented both ways though.

RE 'Place/Pace', I see what you mean. I should have gone in-game to catch the context. It's a lot tougher to see what's intended when you're just looking at the text file itself. :)

WHERE: Spell description - (Cipher) Soul Shock (lvl 2)

Reads:

"Briefly transforms the outer shell of an the allied target's soul into energy"... 

Expected: Should be "an" or "the" (allied target) - not both ... Hope this was the right thread - there are soooooo maaaaaaany :)

UFWDJRj.jpg