Disappearing Gear

Marceror

Question

I saw this bug in one of Adam's Gamescom playthroughs, and just experienced it myself. I'm not sure how to recreate.

But a short time after starting the game I noticed that my wizard lost their grimoire and weapons, and my priest lost her weapons.

I've since started a new game, and hopefully won't have this problem again.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

The problem isn't always repeatable. I'm referring to my earlier post. I created 3 new games. Each time just quitting to the main menu and creating a new game. It wasn't until the third try that my party had all the default items on them. So it's not restarting the client that helps, more like repetition. :yes:

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Good thing I always play beta with Trial of Iron on I guess <_<

And are you experiencing the issue?

Good thing I always play beta with Trial of Iron on I guess <_<

And are you experiencing the issue?

Well, yes, but at least I don't have to clean up the save files :p

Plus currently loading saves is useless anyway since it seems to corrupt save files. I could swear that sometimes after reloading my characters are a lot stronger(or enemies a lot weaker) considering they usually die right away when combat starts. And when I check character with C it brings up gibberish instead of text it had before reload

Thanks for clarifying, for half a second I had some hope that I could work around this by playing in ironman mode. But no such luck.

Will continue waiting for this issue to be rectified before trying the backer beta demo.

In the main BB forum I'm asking Obsidian to provide an update on their efforts to resolve this particular bug. Not sure if I'll get a response, but when I look at the response in this thread and many similar threads, I am very hopeful that OE will be pushing a fix for this one soon.

Ok, just went a few hours straight without any items vanishing. Only stopped when BB fighter became stuck and couldn't move.

Deleted save folder. Verified cached. The trick is to make no saves whatsover at any time (includes iron man/gamestart). Just left the game running when I needed a break and didn't tempt memory leak fate with alt-tab. 

Ok, just went a few hours straight without any items vanishing. Only stopped when BB fighter became stuck and couldn't move.

Deleted save folder. Verified cached. The trick is to make no saves whatsover at any time (includes iron man/gamestart). Just left the game running when I needed a break and didn't tempt memory leak fate with alt-tab. 

That goes against my save hoarding tendencies, but I have the day off tomorrow, so may just give that a try.

Yup, I've lost grimoires, shields, sabres, armour and quest items in between areas, saving/loading, and just swapping items between characters. Haven't completed a single quest in this beta yet because the game either doesn't recognise quest items or they straight up disappear from the game.

It's also very irritating that picking up a quest item places it in your character's inventory, but if you then swap it between characters, it disappears into the Quest Items stash. Why can't it go straight there on pickup? Well, wherever in the inventory they are, the game doesn't allow me to turn them in... :sadface:

Stacks of items will also disappear, btw.

I had 2 scrolls of Paralysis on one of my character's quick item slots. I saved and Exited the game completely. When I launched the game again and loaded my save, they were gone.

Just gonna add my 2cents to this.

1-Item Loss on Reload:

The only time Ive experienced an equiped item suddenly vanishing after a reload was with the BB Rouge´s melee weapons in the wurm nest area after picking up the bandit´s gear and then saving and reloading.

2-Item loss on Moving Inventory items

This is the one that happens most often for me.

What usualy happens is I:

1) Open inventory.

2) Drag an item from the selectec character´s inventory to another character´s inventory.

3) The item disapears.

This is not limited to weapons but also happens with armor, books, gems, enchanted gear, and ropes.

This does not seem to happen with items sent to the stash.

Notes:

-I should add that Im always alt-tabbing and quicksaving every so often.

-Also, my characters are sometimes listed as "FULL" when picking up items despite there being empty slots in their inventory. This happened in the cultist area beneath the town, in which several items disapeared as I tried to pass them between characters (which were all relatively close together). I had also closed and re-started the game at elats twice by then.

I suffered this problem on two of my saved games, but the earliest saved game is unaffected.  I am also not sure how to replicate the issue.  I only know that it happened as soon as I loaded the game.  It affected my character (paladin) and the BB Rogue.

I lost mage's grimoire and shield+sword of the priest. I just realized that when I entered in the zone with the bettles, without save the game nor load.

I began the game, spoke with the guy in the bridge, the farmer, leaved the map in the nord-east exit, killed a couple of beetles and then I realized, I'll try to find where exactly I lost them. I was playing with a Cypher.

I lost mage's grimoire and shield+sword of the priest. I just realized that when I entered in the zone with the bettles, without save the game nor load.

I began the game, spoke with the guy in the bridge, the farmer, leaved the map in the nord-east exit, killed a couple of beetles and then I realized, I'll try to find where exactly I lost them. I was playing with a Cypher.

I've seen this before too. Yesterday I started a game with a ranger, made absolutely no save, talked to Medreth, the farmer, and the apothecary gal to pick up their quests. Was planning to head to the crossing, but low and behold, grimoire and wand gone from wizard and one of the weapon sets from the priest. Game died right there.

I've seen this before too. Yesterday I started a game with a ranger, made absolutely no save, talked to Medreth, the farmer, and the apothecary gal to pick up their quests. Was planning to head to the crossing, but low and behold, grimoire and wand gone from wizard and one of the weapon sets from the priest. Game died right there.

Just happened again.

https://mega.co.nz/#!D48X0AjI!NMvdaJa_JSfnMyuCjwEo7k0iq55kaILDIh2-CPBhqCY

output_log.txt

saving and reloading.

2-Item loss on Moving Inventory items

This is the one that happens most often for me.

What usualy happens is I:

1) Open inventory.

2) Drag an item from the selectec character´s inventory to another character´s inventory.

3) The item disapears.

This is not limited to weapons but also happens with armor, books, gems, enchanted gear, and ropes.

This does not seem to happen with items sent to the stash.

+1 exactly

Would like to add that it happened moving a weapon over to a weapon set as well.

-Also, my characters are sometimes listed as "FULL" when picking up items despite there being empty slots in their inventory. This happened in the cultist area beneath the town, in which several items disapeared as I tried to pass them between characters (which were all relatively close together). I had also closed and re-started the game at elats twice by then.

I second this!

There are characters listed "FULL", while UI shows them still having some slots empty.

But although the slots appear blank, "take all" will not place any item in such a slot, while manually dragging them into it, will make the item disappear for good.

[Files]

Image showing what I've described above.

post-80630-0-20582100-1408895264_thumb.png

I second this!

There are characters listed "FULL", while UI shows them still having some slots empty.

But although the slots appear blank, "take all" will not place any item in such a slot, while manually dragging them into it, will make the item disappear for good.

[Files]

Was just scanning the forums to see about reporting this. I'll just toss in a 'third' for this. I've experienced this a number of times with the sam results (Supposedly empty slots, but if you manually drag anything into them, it disappears for good).

I second this!

[Files]

I´ll also add that the "take all" option not working also happens when the character has an empty inventory even before any items disapearing (and it being the same character that moved to pick up the item). Drag and droping is possible but theres a risk of the items disapearing that way as well (as Ink Blot said).

This has happened most often with the BB Fighter in my experience, if thats of any relevance.

Not sure if the "take all" problem needs its own topic as it may or may not be related to the item disapearance on moving somehow. Maybe its a problem with the draging and droping mechanic?

After saving, quitting, and reloading from the menu screen, I had my BB Wizard's armor and robes disappear in the Dyrford Ruins. He was wearing the robes. The armor was in his inventory. My summoned Minor Earth Elemental also completely disappeared. BB Fighter and BB Cleric were still alive (and at full stamina) but weren't shown in the icons on the bottom left.  I'd saved and quit, then loaded from the menu screen a few times because some member of my party always seemed to get stuck either during or right after combat in the Dyrford Ruins. Saving and reloading allowed me to move them again. I had to to reload a couple of times once in order to be able to move the character. Another time I couldn't move the Minor Earth Elemental even after reloading so I didn't use it for the next fight. 

Other than these problems, I'm enjoying the game and the combat. 

Edited by oaktownbrown

Can't see how it could be related to drivers. Earlier you said you hardly ever loot anything: since this is an inventory bug related to pointers, and looting things puts pointers in your inventory, it sounds likely that putting things in your inventory could cause the bug to manifest. It certainly seems to happen less if I loot less.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

My experience:

Before saving for the first time (had to reload to get rid of stuck movement bug), I unequiped all gear from all characters. After loading, no gear disappeared, but when equiping weapons, they only showed up on the inventory model (which they didn't before loading), but didn't show up in-game on the models. However, characters behaved like the weapons were equiped. Melee weapons were working, in combat I was doing proper type and amount of dmg. Characters with ranged weapon did the animation of shooting, but nothing happened (no entry in combat log) and after the animation they got stuck until the end of the encounter.