Disappearing Gear

Marceror

Question

I saw this bug in one of Adam's Gamescom playthroughs, and just experienced it myself. I'm not sure how to recreate.

But a short time after starting the game I noticed that my wizard lost their grimoire and weapons, and my priest lost her weapons.

I've since started a new game, and hopefully won't have this problem again.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I have also seen alot of gear go missing.  It is never the stuff they start with though, only items I give them.  My main who is a cipher will always lose his weapon set 2 gear on a reload, ALWAYS.  The priest always loses anything in her off hand on set 1 and sometimes loses her weapon set 2 as well.

I have created a Nature Godlike Paladin. Started the game and checked everybody's gear. Everything seemed ok. Leveled up my character, saved and decided to load to check if any item was lost in the process. The cleric had lost the shield in her secondary slot.

Quite game. Create a ranger elf. I check gear and try one level up. Everything is ok. I do all the level ups and check again. Everything all right. Save the game and load to check. Cleric's shield in secondary slot... missing.

I have the same problem as well with a little twist.  I traded the BB Wizard's sword to my main character (a paladin) and when I equipped it the weapons seemed to be floating.  Upon reloading the sword was gone from my main character but the wizard still had my war hammer.  I also have had items disappear while transferring them between characters while on the inventory screen.

I've done a bit of testing with this. Changing locations doesn't cause the problem, i've gone in and out of different buildings about a hundred times to push an area transition and that doesn't cause the problem - no items lost.

I've sold and rebought gear, equipped different stuff to different people, entered into and out of combat, completed quests and levelled up multiple times - no items lost.

When I died, and it had to reload my save game, that caused an item lost. Tested multiple times from new games, lost combat, reload game - items are lost, randomly but it seems to target weapons the first time in the 10 times I tested this. Multiple successive kills/reloads causes further items to disappear, moving from weapons onto armor. No inventory items so far but that could be chance.

From my testing, I'm thinking that this bug is entirely due to saving and loading. 

I started a new game, and the first thing I did was a quick save and quick load. Immediately noticed that the BB_Wizard lost his grimoire. 

• Like 1

We are well aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution. Do you happen to remember if you had loaded a save anytime before this issue occurred?

Hi Derek,

In my most recent game items started disappearing wholesale. I'm not sure if it is related, but the dramatic gear loss happened after another bug that I reported in a different topic:

My main character got frozen in place. To work around this I used F5/F8 which unfroze my main character (and stepped on some memory??).

Some time after that, I noticed a lot of things going missing including when I moved an item  from one character's inventory to another or when I dropped a second item into a quick slot. I can try to recreate this with a new game if it will help.

My Wizard lost his weapons too. Not the Priest, though. My Wizard was uselss other than protecting himself with Arcane Veil. 

Wizards are one of the strongest classes in the game right now. Have you tried opening the spell bar by clicking the character portrait of the wizard and selecting a spell from one of the level categories?

I can't cast any spells with my wizard in the beta. When I click his portrait I see some buttons like "I" "II" "III" referring I suppose to different spell levels, but when I select any of these, the selection menu becomes empty, there's nothing to see.

My Wizard lost his weapons too. Not the Priest, though. My Wizard was uselss other than protecting himself with Arcane Veil. 

Wizards are one of the strongest classes in the game right now. Have you tried opening the spell bar by clicking the character portrait of the wizard and selecting a spell from one of the level categories?

I can't cast any spells with my wizard in the beta. When I click his portrait I see some buttons like "I" "II" "III" referring I suppose to different spell levels, but when I select any of these, the selection menu becomes empty, there's nothing to see.

Most likely your spell book disappeared. You can't cast wizard spells without it. I've started the beta 3 times and have yet to be able to cast a wizard spell. :p

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Just adding mine to the list:

After leaving the smith's shop at night, my game froze when attempting to load into the village. Upon restarting the game and loading my last save, the offhand and ranged weapons of my dual wielders (rogue and cipher) had gone missing. The wizard got to keep his grimoire, though.

Irrc, the missing weapons were part of the haul from the last fight before the crash, and I didn't think to check if it was somehow connected to the whole "loot piles respawn" issue.

First I thought, that it would help to load the game from the menu. It seemed to work. No items lost.

But then something happened. I checked i had the quest item in inventory. Started dialogue, no quest options, ended dialogue, enter inventory. The quest item was gone! :o

UFWDJRj.jpg

Update: I made a character, got through the process, appeared next to the bridge, saved and quit and went to bed. 

Next, loaded up save: BB Rogue was missing main hand (hatchet) from weapon set 1 and BB Priest was missing all of weapon set 2 (warhammer and shield I believe).

EDIT - Just noticed, 2 loot bags beside the bridge. Contained the warhammer in one bag and shield in the other, but no hatchet. 

Edited by DCParry

grrrrr, can't w8 until they fix it anymore!!!!!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

The areas I've encountered this bug (When loading game):
- Dyrford Village
- Dyrford Ruins (Loading and when entering the first time)
- Dyrford Crossing
- Dyrford Cave

So basically, all the areas except Stormwall Gorge, which I have not seen this happen in.

I have not tried this "in-doors" in the Village (Save/Loading in the Inn, or inside any of the houses or in the church etc).

Also, if I saved the game with Weapon Set 2, and when loaded they spawn with Weapon Set 1.

I've experienced item loss on loading a save game. Loading into the upstairs of the Inn. Loading into Dyrford Crossing. Loading from Dyrford Crossing.

I also lost a weapon when I ended combat with the Ogre. The pole arm I had been using disappeared the moment my paladin disengaged from combat.

Also, the most annoying for me so far, I've had BB Wizard's grimoire disappear mere moments after starting a new game. I still don't know what triggers that one.

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Good thing I always play beta with Trial of Iron on I guess <_<