Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First impressions thread!

ui icons beta Feedback: requested design art general First impressions review feedback

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I got a quest and wandered around town for a second, and then I decided to go off into the wilderness, where I was promptly murdered by a pack of lions.

I love it.

I decided the best course of action was to gang up on the lions one by one and completely butcher them.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The feel of the game is right.  The music, the ambient noise, the graphics, the abilities (and their animations), etc.  It is all what I had hoped for.  As expected there are some technical issues like:  Load times, all the things we were warned of in the beta update, etc.  All in all, this is exactly where the game needs to be for beginning beta IMHO.  The game feels very IE, yet needs to get some polish to grind out those rough edges.  I am going to take more time before any heavy feedback on anything too specific.  I want to really understand any grievances I have, and to be able to convey those issues appropriately. 

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't really like the Paladin's Flames of Devotion. Conceptually I love it, but would prefer a smaller % damage increase for a n amount of time instead of a powerful one shot attack.

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

I got a quest and wandered around town for a second, and then I decided to go off into the wilderness, where I was promptly murdered by a pack of lions.

I love it.

I decided the best course of action was to gang up on the lions one by one and completely butcher them.

Bryy, how could you do that to your own kind?

• Michael_Galt likes this

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Steam:Arsene-Lupin
  • PSN Portable ID:Mwulf
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pre-first impression: I am SOOO very glad they cut content from the beta. I was barely able to even dip my toes into the WL2 or DOS betas for fear of being spoiled. Cutting main story and stronghold content from the WL2 beta was absolutely the right move.

Billy O

Billy O

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

First off the game is beautiful. I'm playing at 2560x1600 and was afraid it may not scale up that well. Not a problem at all. The models look bad in character creator but they look fine t me zoomed out as you will see them 99% of the time.

Music is phenomenal. I have been playing D;OS and it is so refreshing to hear some better music.

The lore and the world feel cohesive. This is huge for me. Some games I love the mechanics but hate the world or it feels fake. I buy into this world.

Combat does feel fast as many have mentioned but I'll give it a week before I declare it too fast. Part of it is the overwhelming nature of playing a level 5 character with no buildup and trying to manage 25+ new spells and abilities.

Of all the bugs that have been mentioned the #1 priority must be pathfnding. If that is not perfect by launch combat will be a fraction of it's potential.

I love the scouting system.

I'm sure I'll delve a lot deeper but so far so good.

• Theomen712 and Michael_Galt like this

ThreeSon

ThreeSon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • I very much appreciate the various difficulty modes available, particularly the Trial of Iron and Expert Mode options. Those should be nice challenges to undertake in the full game.
  • I think the races look nice, particularly the Godlike. But the ears of the Orlan look odd... almost like tree branches. Is that what they are intended to resemble?
  • The text in the various character creation screens could be more readable - for example, bolding or changing the color of the names of class skills in the description box to make them stand out from the rest of the text
  • When I click on an NPC to speak to, it appears that my created character (in slot 1) is always the one who "does the talking," meaning that character's attributes are what determines which conversation options are available, even if I have a different party member selected when initiating the conversation. Is that intentional? In the final game, if my created character has low Intellect, can I use another party member's higher Intellect to affect the conversation? I'm not sure what method would be best, but I hope it is made clear when we play (with a tutorial message or something similar).
  • The ambient sounds are very nice
  • For NPCs that only speak a single line of dialogue (e.g. Villager: "Most who pass through nowadays are refugees or bandits"), I think it would be better not to first require the player character to have to run all the way over to them to hear it, which feels like it makes the pace drag if we're the type of person who likes to click on everyone at least once. If it is possible to simply hear the dialogue with the PCs standing in place, I would prefer that, while still having to approach NPCs that involve full conversations.

Edited by ThreeSon, 18 August 2014 - 07:52 PM.

RagingFlower

RagingFlower

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just fired up the beta for about an hour, and the feel of the game is spot on. I have to say, our boys at Obsidian are mighty brave letting out a chunk of the game this early. I'll avoid any criticism that is blatantly a result of a bug/need of polish, but some things I feel I need to point out. Overall the game is enjoyable.

I started up a monk. Because I love monks. Every RPG that has a monk gets bonus points. I also got to make him literally ON FIRE on character creation (Godlike is a pretty awesome race). Since class feedback is what the devs have requested the most, i'll write that up in a separate thread. Overall punching the crap out of things is very satisfying. As for some general things I noticed, here is a small list:

1. The art style is splendid. It very much feels like the old-school painted backgrounds, but with modern day bells and whistles. You can see heat waves off of the fire in the inn, the water ripples and you can see the grass blow. In alot of ways it feels familiar but also a step up from the graphics of the previous CRPG titles. Compared to how other recent CRPG releases have handled their art, I prefer Pillars over everything else I've seen.

2. Music and audio is a little lacking at the moment, but what's there is in the right direction. It's pretty typical high-fantasy, but it hits all the right notes.

3. Combat can be a little cluttered at times when everyone's in close. certain elements of the HUD kind of overlap the action and enemies and party members tend to stack very close to each other. I am hoping in the final product that the UI and player models are more separated from each other, as I fear it can be difficult to tell what is going on currently.

4. It was difficult to barter due to an issue where items "stick" onto your cursor. I can't really comment on the barter system as a result. I did notice that shops seem to have limited amounts of gold to buy/sell with. I am a huge fan of that. What if, by some miracle, PoE is the first CRPG to *not* have your player swimming in gold late in the game? I am still waiting for a game to handle economy in a way so that I'm forced to make choices on what to buy/sell.

5. The layout of the UI is pretty nice. There's quite a bit of it to manage, but with the current design it doesn't take up too much of the space but also is centered in a way that I could see all my options in front of me at all times. The only thing it is missing is tooltips. I really hope in the final product that if I hover over something, it gives me a brief reminder of what it does.

That's all I got right now. The game is looking real good guys. This is the first kickstarter I've backed that has made it this far into development, and it's just really exciting to be able to play it.

Keep up the great work!

LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Related to that, selecting one party member (when you currently have the whole party selected) should be easier. The most obvious way is to click on their portrait, but that doesn't actually deselect the other party members (and thus, allow you to do things like use abilities). You have to physically click on the party member you want, which is fine, but a little clunky.

If you hit 1-6, you'll select whatever character is in that slot.  With that in mind, I immediately remapped "Select All" to the tilde.

• mistermannindy likes this

LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Played for a couple of hours now - it was longer than I thought, which is always a good sign!

My one big GUI nitpick is that highlighting doesn't seem to show enemy loot on the ground and the icons themselves blend in a little too much.  Simple fix, make highlighting highlight loot.

My one big mechanical nitpick is that your party dies when your main character dies.  I didn't have a problem with it in some of the fights leading up to the cave, but then my main character (paladin) got knocked out in two or three quick hits and it was game over even though the rest of my party was fine.  This seems like it strongly discourages the player from rolling a melee class for their main character.  I get this is a hold-over from BG, and without story it's hard to say if there's a similar set-up here narratively.  However, mechanically it sucks, especially since your other characters are free to pass out.  I'd prefer this to be a game mode rather than standard.

Otherwise, loving it so far.

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Ell

Ell

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am a big admirer of classical Infinity-based CRPGs, and I would like to thank the Obsidian team for the efforts they put in Project Eternity.

The overall impression of the beta after playing it for 30 minutes is quite positive.
However, I would like to point out certain things that could be improved (in my opinion):

GRAPHICS AND UI

• Colours (especially grass and trees) are too bright. If they were dimmer, the scenes would look nicer.
  • Battles. They are very cluttered, it's difficult to understand what is going on. In infinity based-games, they looked better to me.
  • Pop-ups that show up in battles when holding TAB are too heavy-weight.
  • I think it would be better to show just character names and their health status in the pop-ups.
  • It's better to avoid zooming in 3d-models too much (like in the character generation screen for instance).

GAMEPLAY

• Please, please and one more time please - when hit points go down to zero, the characters must DIE! Regardless of difficulty level. Becoming unconscious and magically getting up after the battles is so "consolish"...
  • I am sure many hardcore players do not like the idea of hit-points regeneration when you walk. Only healing spells, potions and rest should restore them.

OTHER

• I understand that we live in an age of ubiquitous political correctness, but come on - selecting female gender by default is too much.

... to be continued.

• Kharador likes this

ThreeSon

ThreeSon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I hope that a fog of war is planned for the final game, similar to the Infinity Engine games. So areas that we haven't yet explored would be blacked out when we first enter them, and then revealed as we explore them. This makes it easy to know at a glance which buildings/characters/etc. we have already encountered.

umooner

umooner

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
These are just a few loose thoughts. I plan on doing a longer post later on. . .probably tomorrow.

The first thing I noticed that I found annoying was the cursor selection. It scrolls with the screen if you are near the edge of it; this means that you lose your original placement of the corner of the selection. Not the biggest deal, and I honestly cannot remember how the IE games did it, but I find it annoying.

Also, as someone who is planning on playing ironman, permadeath, and expert mode upon release, I feel that aoe range indicator should be a toggle even on expert. Again, just my opinion, but that seems like an extremely difficult thing to judge. I agree with the other choices.

The autopause options are awesomesauce, and anyone that hasn't tried them, I would highly recommend it. Overall, loving what I see. I think these next few years are going to be good ones for the genre.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought health/stamina would be too cumbersome. It's the perfect balance of health regen and non.

theacefes

theacefes

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:theacefes

Super first impression - the title screen and music. I love the main theme's melody. However the piece sounds very synthesized and the instrument library doesn't sound very high quality.

Is there going to be a different version of the main theme (read: live orchestra) or is this it?

Good job for getting to this point! It looks very impressive on the whole and I can't wait to explore more.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm loving it!

This game <3 when most(/all) bugs have been weeded out... this game :)

Edited by Osvir, 18 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Koshelkin

Koshelkin

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Yeah first impressions as I couldn't spend that many time on it. The game seems to offer what I expected and, yes, that's a good thing. Combat feels right, some things lack feedback, though, like rogue abilities.

I'll share my thoughts on the chanter: the mechanics are intrguing but he clearly lacks some feedback on his abilities, make it more apparent that he is chanting either visually(floating notes come to my mind, not necessarily only on the character but also in the area of effect as a semi translucent filter) or, even better, audio-feedback. Also the UI of the chanter, I daresay the UI in general, needs alot of work but that's something you're most probably aware of. At least it seems very much WIP.

• umooner likes this

insomnius

insomnius

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

First impressions are very positive!

• The background music and incidental sounds are really great—evocative, nostalgia bombs that don't demand enough active attention to be distracting.
  • The ease of moving back and forth between the character creation steps is a godsend. No more backtracking and losing everything to see what difference one different choice makes.
  • It's hard to see the full scope of the effects attributes and reputations have on dialogue, but I'm a big fan of what I've seen so far.
  • Some of the textured backgrounds (behind dialogue & in the character creation screen) are a little too obtrusive for my taste, but this might be a familiarity thing. After a couple of hours of play I hardly notice it under the dialogue anymore.
  • Combat seemed impossibly fast at first but, again, quite easy to get used to even without using slow-mo.
  • There are a lot of trivial cosmetic issues like awkward text wrapping or overlapping, *Missing String* text, etc. I'm not sure if keeping a list of them is likely to be helpful or superfluous.
  • Loot and enemies (and party characters sometimes) can be hard to pick out from the backgrounds, especially long grasses.

I guess that's more critical than effusive points, but I'm having a lot of fun and really looking forward to playing more.

Postscript:

OTHER

• I understand that we live in an age of ubiquitous political correctness, but come on - selecting female gender by default is too much.

I understand that we live in an age of ubiquitous men's rights activists, but come on - selecting male gender by default is too much.

• Suen, sparklecat, limaxophobiacq and 2 others like this

Lillyhime

Lillyhime

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam:lillianswordmaiden
  • PSN Portable ID:lillyhime
  • Xbox Gamertag:Lilly Hime
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

OTHER

... to be continued.

First of all, I am offended by this remark, you are coming across as sexist. Secondly, you are wrong about it being default. Its random every time you start a new character.

• aluminiumtrioxid, limaxophobiacq, lolaldanee and 12 others like this

ThreeSon

ThreeSon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am very much against the way the conversation system notifies the player of a possible conversation choice that they could choose if 'x' stat were high enough (the options that are colored red in-game).

This seems wrong on a number of levels. Primarily because it acts as a spoiler of sorts for future playthroughs with characters using different builds. A lot of the joy of discovery is lost if you already know every dialogue option that is available whether you can currently select it or not.

In addition, I'm also not a fan of notifying us of the dialogue options we can choose because we have a certain number of points in 'x' stat. I know that this has become something of a standard feature in most RPGs, but I really feel that it works to keep me at arms distance from the game world, so that I never become completely immersed because of these constant reminders that it's all just numbers and stat-checks.

I understand if the developers want to keep this format in place for players who prefer it, but at least make it a toggleable option.

• Michael_Galt and mistermannindy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ui, icons, beta, Feedback: requested, design, art, general, First impressions, review, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users