Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First impressions thread!

ui icons beta Feedback: requested design art general First impressions review feedback

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

bigstrat2003

bigstrat2003

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Played the game for 40 minutes, and have some thoughts:

• It looks beautiful. Seriously, well done.
  • I don't understand, at all, the terms that the backer update mentioned like damage threshold, health vs stamina, etc. I guess that stamina is basically your health? Since all the priest abilities for healing heal stamina instead of health, and the enemies were damaging stamina. But beyond that, the game mechanics were completely opaque this first time at it. Old RPGs could be that way too, but they came with a manual I could read! ;)
  • Related to that, either I am the worst player in the world or the game is entirely too hard. I went on the first quest I came across (go take out the ogre that is harassing the town), and went to Dryford crossing since that was the direction I found out I needed to head. The very first encounter wiped me, with no realistic possibility of success. The enemies could drop a character in one or two rounds of them focusing fire, and my rogue/fighter couldn't even damage the enemies. Maybe I somehow stumbled into content that is too hard for me, but right now I have no idea if it's that, if the game is tuned too hard, or if I just suck. There needs to be some clearer feedback to the player regarding whether something looks like it's over their head or not, or at least make the first few fights guaranteed to be doable so that you aren't struggling to learn the game mechanics while also getting your teeth kicked in.
  • The way skills take more and more points to increase the ranks is neat, I enjoyed that little twist to how skills work.
  • During the character creation process, please consider not displaying the culture bonus to abilities on the point-buy screen, or move that part of character creation so that it comes before purchasing stats. Kind of weird that you can get your array of stats hammered out, then realize you have to go and change them because the culture choice you made is going to alter your build strategy quite a bit.
  • The grimoire needs to be surfaced more prominently. I figured it out, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty counter-intuitive to have to dig in the inventory to get there.
  • As others have said, which character gets sent to talk to an NPC seems completely arbitrary and inconsistent.
  • Related to that, selecting one party member (when you currently have the whole party selected) should be easier. The most obvious way is to click on their portrait, but that doesn't actually deselect the other party members (and thus, allow you to do things like use abilities). You have to physically click on the party member you want, which is fine, but a little clunky.
  • Some kind of warning when you have unused spells (and grimoire slots to fill with them) would be useful. I had to rest at the inn twice (and burn my precious coin!) because I didn't realize that my grimoire did not have the level-up spells I chose slotted in. I was quite surprised after the first rest when I expected to be able to use level 2/3 spells, and they weren't there!
  • Maybe nit-picky, but the heads seem a bit too big for the bodies. Might be something I'll get used to, though.
  • Overall, I won't lie and say that the game made the greatest first impression on me. But I'm going to continue poking at it and seeing if I can figure out some of the things which were giving me grief on that first (very brief) foray.

• Suen, Posbi, Michael_Galt and 3 others like this

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I have an issue.

Game starts off too zoomed in and thus the character models are too large on screen. I tried to zoom out, but can't. I had hoped Obsidian would make zooming out as easy as pressing the + and - keys, but no luck pulling that off. There is a pan camera option, but I can't seem to get it to do anything with keys. I use a laptop and never played the IE games with a mouse; I use my touchpad. Now it seems I'll be needing a mouse now; too bad. 

OBSIDIAN! Be like the IE games and allow me to zoom in and out using my keyboard. If you won't do that; at least make the default camera distance further away. I can't stand how zoomed in the camera is. The large size of the character models on screen really kills the feeling of playing an IE game.

• Michael_Galt likes this

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Started out on Normal. Soooooooo difficult. I'm in the ogre cave, but there's just too many spiders in my way.

Lillyhime

Lillyhime

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam:lillianswordmaiden
  • PSN Portable ID:lillyhime
  • Xbox Gamertag:Lilly Hime
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Disappointed by the Godlike portraits and customization available. Female Nature Godlike get 3 (though they are all pretty similar) and Fire, Death, and Moon Godlike all get 1. Males only get 1 each I think. 

And while I'm actually fairly okay with this, as the female Moon Godlike picture is pretty, I'm upset that we can't actually give any sort of hair.. she just has that horrid misty stuff and looks bald. A pity her misty hair glow stuff isn't a tad more solid. 

And lastly, I wish we could play as the air/feathery Godlike. 

Also, the moving the map with my mouse or the keys is really slow, and I'd like if it was at least 50% faster. 

On a positive note, I like how the skills for the Cipher sound, I haven't progressed far enough to see combat yet. Still trying to make myself like my bald Moon Godlike lady.

• Ansia, Kharador and Pray like this

Almkaz

Almkaz

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

First impressions:

Has that old-school RPG feel - lots of detail and can tell it is a labour of love.

Combat was chaotic, I think it was perhaps the speed - things just seemed to go too fast for me to keep track of. I would prefer about 1/2 the speed - not the animations mind you, just the time between characters and enemies taking their turns. Speaking of animations, felt a little underwhelmed with the hit animations - attacked lions and there seemed to be no visible reaction from a hit.

• the.only.ara54, Billy O and Pinepong like this

littlejoe21

littlejoe21

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I always liked playing games like icewind dale and BG with a single character. Faster leveling less micro management of 6 players. Single play does not appear possible as I can't edit my party as of right now. In older RPGs I was able to do a lot of running enemies around however everything appears to be faster than me in pillars of eternity :(. Is is pretty much pointless trying to play this game with 1 or 2 characters vs the full 6 party? My personal play style nothing against the game. :)

Edited by littlejoe21, 18 August 2014 - 04:40 PM.

• the.only.ara54 likes this

Umbersona

Umbersona

Knight Crusader of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Steam:Umbersona
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My absolute first thing I checked for and first piece of feedback is that female Dwarves NEED to have the option to have beards. As a long time Dwarf player, I feel like the race I know and love has yet to be given the love they need in a game like this. Beards, bro. Give the Dwarves back their pride.

Other than that, enjoying the hell out of the Beta.

• the.only.ara54, Clean&Clear, salo and 3 others like this

bigstrat2003

bigstrat2003

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Started out on Normal. Soooooooo difficult. I'm in the ogre cave, but there's just too many spiders in my way.

Look at it this way... at least you got to the ogre cave! ;)

khomotso

khomotso

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sounds like I'm an outlier, but I have to admit I'm a bit put off by the look and feel of the game.

The character models all look pretty pudgy and child-like. Hard to create any character that feels like they would be strong, dark or intimidating. Or even attractive, for that matter.

Once in the gameworld the characters lack what I would call physicality. I'm left with a strong feeling of sprites just floating across the screen, not people inhabiting a world. Some of this may be animation and sound which will improve over time, so I won't judge it too hastily, but still.

This lack of physicality jumps out at me especially during combat. A real lack of onscreen feedback makes it hard for me to follow what's going on, or if my orders were carried out, and what the effects were.

I don't really get the Health/Stamina distinction, but I gather I'm not alone, and will get my head around it eventually.

So far, though, I have to say I don't feel like this is a living, breathing world. Very little interaction, relatively little visual representation of activity. I find myself spending more and more time watching the text scroll by, as the best representation of what's happening. I guess that's my first impression: this feels like a text adventure with visuals tacked on. It might be a very good text adventure at that, but that's where the game really seems to be focused.

• Sensuki, Posbi, Ansia and 4 others like this

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Combat was chaotic, I think it was perhaps the speed - things just seemed to go too fast for me to keep track of. I would prefer about 1/2 the speed - not the animations mind you, just the time between characters and enemies taking their turns. Speaking of animations, felt a little underwhelmed with the hit animations - attacked lions and there seemed to be no visible reaction from a hit.

I noticed substantial differences between enemy types. The giant spiders were very slow, while smaller spiders and beetles were really quick. I think they have to be slowed down though, it took the whole pack of beetles at Dyrford Crossing about 2-3 seconds to completely surround me, meaning tons of the abilities my characters have became useless. It's hard to web enemies that move at a gabillion miles an hour.

The game also needs a lot more feedback when it comes to combat. It's very hard to get an idea of what's going on a lot of the time, you're not sure if your party is even attacking sometimes, and it's hard to read a lot of the stuff that goes on. I think one possible solution here would be to decrease hit chance across the board. If stuff just happens less often you get a better idea of what's going on. Decreasing attack speed might also be an answer.

Edited by Tartantyco, 18 August 2014 - 04:46 PM.

• Theomen712 and mistermannindy like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2071 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Loved character creation. The classes seen a lot more interesting now that I can see their abilities.

Don't know about pets yet, but we can name the ranger companion. :)

Edited by InsaneCommander, 18 August 2014 - 05:08 PM.

• Pray likes this

kat7ra

kat7ra

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Steam:Kat7ra

So far, it's amazing, tomorrow I will spend more time, and delve more into it.
Only minus in the first impression department is that I could find no way in-game to speed up scrolling, not a problem the first hour, but it WILL BE after a while,

• Ansia likes this

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

Anathematized Apostate of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Those who were scared the game would be "easy"...well... fear not!

Not seeing the difficulty really. Aside from being completely under-geared and with no weapons equipped due to the vanish bug. Also the usual shaky RTWP pathfinding issues where my rogue bumps into the warrior, forgets to do what I told it and stands there idle. Characters seems to very easily get stuck if they are bunched. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy, 18 August 2014 - 05:23 PM.

talharbash

talharbash

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts

I can't sit through the beta. One big problem I have is lack of companions and no back story to WTF I'm doing.

It may have sounded great on paper to do a beta this way but I feel its really lacking because of all the stuff that is taken out. Hopefully the final game will have all the community feedback you need for the game mechanics.

• Ansia likes this

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Characters move oddly fast

Also, it'd be nice if you could move camera also with wasd keys <_< I prefer moving camera before clicking and I don't really like moving camera with mouse. So I'm resorting to crossing my arms and using right hand on mouse while at same time having left on arrow keys

• Ansia likes this

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

After 1.5 hours of gameplay (with a Chanter...I totally agree that they are overpowered and I was on easy). I did less or a more what was shown in the Gamescom demo (that's what it ended up like, wasn't exactly the plan).

Combat

- Combat is too fast in the sense that things move too fast into position and maybe some animation are too fast has well (while some others are probably correct like reloading the arquebuse and crossbow or casting a fireball).

- In combat, entities tend to glue together, which create a weird mass of bodies where you aren't too sure who is killing what has well.

- CC skills/spells might be too powerful when combined with ranged attack (once I discovered the CC spells that is it). Never lost a character and once I discovered the CC spells, barely got hit too.

- Larger fights cause slow down (3+ mobs, so group of humans near where you start and near the drake nest, the pack of wolves too).

Windows

- The "get more detail" dialog (aka right click an item) in trade is confusing with the lack of close button and sometimes the existence of an enchant button.

- The inventory system is somewhat confusing at first (pickup item from ground and inventory vs stash).

Other comments

- Good ambiance and music

- I love the water

- I love the dialogs

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

Combat feedback really needs work. It can be hard to tell when I hit an enemy and how much damage I did.

• Kharador, Pray and mistermannindy like this

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wait, so D is double speed?

Whelp, that explains why everything moves super fast <_< Thats the first button I pressed in whole game

Since its in my muscle memory that WASD moves camera ^^;

Freshock

Freshock

High Berserker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

- Love the combat, so many different ways to fight and the animations are really good in combat - I'm going to have alot of fun with this. 

- The UI is neat, didn't take long before I mastered it. 

- Music and sound are much better than I could imagine, experienced a few bugs with it though but besides that it's really impressive. 

- Talking to people feels really nice, although I'm not a "reader" I find myself reading everything they have to say because it just feels right. 

- Like the character creation as much as I expected. 

- The "floating" casual chats from NPC's should last longer, I'm not always able to read it before it goes away. 

- Would be nice to be able to move the camera around using "WASD" but I guess I could change that in key bindings anyway.

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

- The UI is neat, didn't take long before I mastered it. 

I'm glad some one likes it. I want it to be like BG. I'll get used to it I guess.

• Qiushui likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ui, icons, beta, Feedback: requested, design, art, general, First impressions, review, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users