To be fair, this build is a couple weeks old and they've fixed many of the reported bugs. Fix and iterate.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well, first impressions after an hour or so.

• Graphics are nice, though it feels like there's some AA missing. Enviroment looks decent most of the time. The large water body in the western area looks, how do I put it nicely, atrocious.
  • Music is ok as background but it's lacking anything memorable, needs quite a bit of work.
  • The setting is dull as hell - some dude's daughter is missing...why should I care again? Oh, and there's a beast causing trouble in the neighborhood - unheard of! But I guess it is to be expected in a beta specifically designed to occlude any relevant stuff. Still feel like it could have been a tad less generic.
  • Character creation is awesome - can't remember any game where I could create a character that comes close to the flavor of my Death Godlike female monk.
  • Combat so far is confusing to say the least. I understand all the basics but the reality doesn't really resemble my expectations. My monk kills a regular lion in two hits on lvl 5. But my entire party gets wiped by a lion and an elder lion and it's not clear why that happens. I feel like I'm missing proper feedback but that might be just me not being used to cRPGs all that much.
  • Dialogue was decent so far. Could do with fewer descriptions in the middle of the spoken text, though. Kinda distracting reading about the innkeep cleaning something every couple of seconds.

What has me wondering, though, is the incredible amount of obvious bugs in the basics of the game. Like wrong cursors, load issues, zoom issues, input issues, menu issues - this kind of stuff. 

Maybe the guys at Obsidian work differently than I do but as a developer these would be the first things to be working properly since they're required for testing (in-house, not the beta). Feels a bit like Obsidian is struggling to keep up with the schedule to be honest.

Anyway, back to testing and trying to figure out how the combat actually works...

Edited by war:head

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

Adding "Auto-Pause" (when enemy seen) helps a lot too.

Actually, lots of "Auto-Pause" features should be tested.

For me it's a tradition to set pause on enemy seen.

Had to disable the inefficient weapon one though. When the rogue only has daggers/bow and the beetle is the enemy, too many pauses too quick... >.< Said by someone who manually pauses a lot to micromanage the gang.

The static vegetation does stand out, though. I would love to see the grass and trees sway in the breeze.

I agree with this comment,  I would really like to see some grass and trees sway in the breeze.  I would add a touch of artistic "realism".  The scenery is gorgeous however, even in just a little village, can't wait to see the crazy environments you have come up with in the full game.

Could just be the build we're playing but Josh talked about this in a previous update(Update #49).  Here's a link to the video....

http://youtu.be/AUleDEFkUtE

I think my copy is in German and I'm having difficulty switching it to English.

Just because I'm German doesn't mean I don't agree my language is butt-ugly.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

What has me wondering, though, is the incredible amount of obvious bugs in the basics of the game. Like wrong cursors, load issues, zoom issues, input issues, menu issues - this kind of stuff. 

Maybe the guys at Obsidian work differently than I do but as a developer these would be the first things to be working properly since they're required for testing (in-house, not the beta). Feels a bit like Obsidian is struggling to keep up with the schedule to be honest.

I agree. But I'm more worried about the intentional design stuff that has turned out to be remarkably disappointing.

Someone here mentioned the "inefficient weapon" thing. That's a good example of mis-implementation of an intentional design. Josh specifically told us about the different weapon damage types vs. the different armor types and told us that some weapons will be more useful against, say, chainmail than leather, and vice vera. But HE DID NOT say that this was going to be some crap Rock-paper-scissors mini-game where some weapons will do NOTHING against certain armor types, while some will do what seems to be double damage against other armor types

As it stands, my friggin Mage was doing massive damage with his Rifle against lions, while my Barbarian was slaving away on the front lines scoring decimal point grazes.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 3

I agree. But I'm more worried about the intentional design stuff that has turned out to be remarkably disappointing.

Someone here mentioned the "inefficient weapon" thing. That's a good example of mis-implementation of an intentional design. Josh specifically told us about the different weapon types vs. different armor types and told us that some weapons will be more useful against, say, chainmail than leather, and vice vera. But HE DID NOT say that this was going to be some crap Rock-paper-scissors mechanic where some weapons will do NOTHING against certain armor types, while some will do what seems to be double damage against other armor types

As it stands, my friggin Mage was doing massive damage with his Rifle against lions, while my Barbarian was slaving away on the front lines scoring decimal point grazes.

LOL

Uh... why not switch to some more suitable weapon for your barb then?

(Other than that there aren't any due to the disappearing item bug, but that'll be history soon, presumably.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Uh... why not switch to some more suitable weapon for your barb then?

(Other than that there aren't any due to the disappearing item bug, but that'll be history soon, presumably.)

Well, you stole my answer. because there were no more weapons left in the Beta to switch to :D

But I'll give you a serious answer. Because I didn't *know* which weapon would be more suitable (other than another rifle), and Because Playing Rock-paper-Scissors isn't a more exciting alternative.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to begin playing for real after I installed the Beta. Just managed to make a character and explore a little bit last night, until a series of headaches decided to pay me a visit. Oh, the irony, right? But hopefully, I'll get to dive into it later this evening, because it seems that people enjoy it - bug testing and all!

Because Playing Rock-paper-Scissors isn't a more exciting alternative.

I agree. The necessity to switch weapons (damage type) should be reduced.

I'm fine with very varied DT bonuses/penalties against elemental damage and such, as that doesn't lead to weapon swapping.

• Like 1

But I'll give you a serious answer. Because I didn't *know* which weapon would be more suitable (other than another rifle), and Because Playing Rock-paper-Scissors isn't a more exciting alternative.

But the weapon stats are visible in the descriptions. It shouldn't be all that hard to figure out. How is this different from figuring out which buff, debuff, or counter to use in various situations in BG2?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

• I like to walk and the circles that the NPC are really ugly to watch.
  • I think there should be a return button from the spell book back to the inventory (and a shortcut).
  • I understand nothing about combat.
  • Dialog feels right!
  • I don't like at all the blocky names that are shown with the tab key. Make them scrolls please!
  • When tabing, I hope you change the icons shown in sings and doors and put a diferent colour contour instead.
  • Make us open doors before we enter buildings!
  • Few portraits and aesthetics options for character creation. Repeat portraits instead of more variety?
  • World looks awesome but static.
  • There is a bug when trying to show hud again.
  • The map needs a wolrd map icon.

More thoughts to come as I play more.

Edited by siril_dana
  • Like 2

But the weapon stats are visible in the descriptions. It shouldn't be all that hard to figure out. How is this different from figuring out which buff, debuff, or counter to use in various situations in BG2?

I agree about the stats being visible in the description.  However, IMHO it has become somewhat "standard" to expect the ability to see differences between selected (or hovered over) weapon and currently equipped weapon.  I am "old school" here (played all these original cRPGs when they were initially released) and still missed the modern convenience of this improvement.  I am in the camp asking for this feature for sure.

• Like 1

How about because it's ridiculous? Answer quickly, which of the following are lions immune to:

* Stabbing

* Cutting

* Having their skull bashed in

* Obviously none of the above, how is this even a mechanic?

Edit: Okay, maybe that was a little over the top, but I'm leaving it as I think the point stands. It makes perfect sense that a breastplate would deflect a blow from a blade, unless it was hit just right; it does not make sense that a boar is practically immune to all except piercing damage.

Edited by Waywocket
  • Like 3

I'm terribly sorry, but I'm just not one of those people who is going to be reading through these forums and replying to threads and stuff, but I still want to tell you (Obsidian) about my first reaction to the Beta.

Firstly, I had a few gripes with the character creation and since you specifically asked for feedback on the races, here it is:

1. Everyone's heads were too large, except for the Elves and Orlans. You don't really see it in-game but it looks a bit silly and it's quite unnecessary.

2. The Aumaua designs are...not very good. I'm sure these designs are locked down by now and you won't change them, but I really don't like them at all. They don't look interesting at all, just like a guy with some finger paint stretched over his face. I actually thought these might be placeholders or something but if they aren't they could REALLY use work.

3. I'm also not a huge fan of the Death Godlike. Well, their look, anyway, because I love the idea. But all their cool heads look like silly helmets instead of like they were born that way.

4. I'd appreciate some more faces and hair to choose from, but that's not that important I guess. I'd also like some more colors when it comes to hair. Not being able to pick grey or white for a dwarf for instance kinda sucks.

As for the interface, it's obviously lagging quite a bit right now but I'm okay with pretty much all of it. I don't like the clicking and dragging much though, but I could get used to it. Some interface-related points though:

1. The closest zoom level should be a bit closer. Even if the game isn't made for that, it would still be fine (see: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition). I feel the closest zoom right now feel very limiting.

2. There's no button yet to highlight interactable objects (like loot, doors, containers, etc). I'm hoping that will get implemented.

3. Some transparancy issues, like the woman over the stove in the inn.

I'm fairly certain the big bugs will get fixed anyway, so I won't talk about those, but there is one thing that is so, so important to me and I feel like I should really mention even though there's probably nothing you're going to do about it at this time anymore: Design.

1. The inn lacks character and atmosphere. Inns are like the places where you can create an atmosphere in your game and the Inn in the beta is very boring and uninspired.

2. I know you initially planned waving grass and trees but removed it because it didn't look that great, but now the backgrounds are pretty static.. Honestly I think I would probably prefer the not-very-good-looking swaying stuff because the environments are so not dynamic right now.

3. There's not enough people with stories to tell. You walk into the mill, and it's this huge open room with nothing of interest in it (seriously, places need more character!) and the guy inside barely shoots off one line. So...why should I go in there?

All in all, most importantly, you need to inject some character into the looks of the game. Yes the animations aren't great, and the fighting isn't fun at all to me, but I don't play RPGs for that anyway, I play them to be immersed. And nothing helps that better than good art direction.

• Like 1

Writing my first impressions before playing again tonight so this is just with around 1h of play.

First thing is this is a beta ! Wow great news ;-) I mean that I was probably expecting a more polished product by seeing the Gamescom vids. Suppose this is the demonstration effect which is the same for all software being video games or SFA ;-)

But yes this is a beta and playing it will be to help the product being better and not just take some fun of it. This is nice. I choose the beta add-on to be able to help...

Second thing is I am a little disappointed. The game is great, really great. The atmosphere, the dialogues, the character creation, the music, I have no problems with the combat even if it is confused as already noted by lots of people. But again lots of things to adjust, polish, add makes it a little sad when expecting so much...

But I know that I will take lots of time to try giving the best reports of what I found because I feel this can be the Great Game I was hoping for so long.

Just from memory the things that I have seen that needs some changes, Inventory management, crafting panel apparition is strange, some fonts issues (bi and small letter in the same word), missing or placeholder assets for objects, boar bug for the ranger in Medreth party, dupping items, the big T underneath the portraits, the ineffective auto pause, some tooltips that I would like to see, for example in character creation, for the top summary of your character you have tooltips for talents, but then not for the attributes... I find that the number of portraits was so very small... The loading screen message which seem to take much too long...

What I like contrary to some postings is the ability to see the inactive options in the dialogue so I can learn and then at some point play in hard expert mode.

To that effect playing the beta in an almost separate zone is a great idea as it does not spoil the dialogue for the main quest.

One thing I wondered is why I get no experience for finishing the medreth quest. Some spoilers ahead bu sorry I do not know how to make this in a spoiler box...

I decided to let the thief they look for go away and try to mislead medreth about the direction she took. However I had not enough resolve so I had to fight them (and only 3 boars as I did not visit too much places before ;-) ). I finish them all relatively easily with the auto pause options even if the melee was quite confused ;-)

But then no experience for finishing the quest. I was expecting some... maybe I am wrong not everything should give XP (or should it ?)

Well after this wall of text, let's get to play again and try another character.

Obsidian guys and gals, thanks a lot for the great-game-to-be. Once it is finished (and I do agree that I am expecting a delay after winter as some people have voiced already), it will be wonderful (especially if you manage to offer some modding tools for the community).

See you in game soon ;-)

My first impressions:

1. There are incredibly many bugs. I know it's a beta, but still. I kind of gave up playing it when my wizard couldn't cast spells and I realized I was missing items I thought I had picked up.

2. The characters don't look very good, but the environments are beautiful.

3. The combat system seems promising. With bug fixes, I think I'm going to like it.

4. I dislike the attribute system but like the other parts of character creation.

It may sound a bit negative, but overall I'm sure that if they give this game a heck of a lot more polish and get to work on those bugs, it'll be a very good game.

Only just played an hour, first impressions:

-Impressed by the character customization. Kinda amazed people are saying it's not enough. If they mean appearance-wise then ok, but stat-wise there was plenty to toy with. Only thing the character customization didn't ask me is if I was a practicing Christian or if I vote Democrat or Republican. Other than that it asked culture, social type, race, sub-race, skills, attributes...dunno what more people could want.
-The Na'vi are a race. Lolwtf cmon Obsidian you're better than that. Laughed my ass off when I saw that

-Looks awesome. Music sounds similar/comparable to Morrowind music.

-Controls are pretty straightforward; anyone who's played a game like this knows the controls already

-Dialog and quests are straightforward and easy to get into. Speech checks are shown similar to New Vegas; if you meet a stat requirement it looks normal, if you don't it shows a failure with the requirement needed

-I'm either a really pro beta tester or a really bad one. Depends on if finding issues is bad. Said "WUT DIS BUTTON DO" and clicked the little + sign on my character's avatar, opened up a passive skill menu right as I hit the transition loading screen to a new cell, BAM! Infinite loading screen. GG me.

Overall...you know that phase of any new RPG where you don't know jack about the lore, so anytime an NPC says "You need to go to Drylüükharn" you're reaction is "oh **** off with this made up names bull****?" Yap, definitely in that phase. Regardless, I successfully completed a quest and navigated through just fine, so there's no issues with interface or interactions or dialog or the like, just for the moment I have no clue what's going on in the world. There was a bard in a tavern that wanted to dump her life story and collection of Twilight fanfiction into my lap and I found myself speeding through it without reading before looking for a way to light her on fire. Not an issue that'll exist once we HAVE the game and a grasp of the lore, just something for the moment that kinda dampens my fun factor of it all; still fun, just not nearly as fun when I'm a newb to the game world. Not saying that as a complaint, just saying it's unfortunately kinda difficult for me to gauge how much I'd be into the game when the lore is currently all Greek to me.

Eating some delishus ice cweam then I'mma go play some more and try out this combat people have been freaking out over.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

My first impressions are... it's rough. The combat is sort of a hot mess right now, and not just due to my own inexperience with the mechanics at play. It's too fast at its current speed (and I shouldn't have to turn on "slow mode" to keep track of what's going on) and doesn't really give feedback. Maybe if there was some way to make the characters more distinct? It's sort of hard to give feedback on a deeper mechanical level when I can barely understand what's going on. (also it's sort of hard to progress in this beta when my party keeps on dying to those lions :p)

Those issues aside, the game has the look and sound of an Infinity Engine game down and the usual quality of writing one can expect from Obsidian (i.e. good), and I appreciate the 2D Backgrounds/3D model thing it has going on, because it makes it look like Temple of Elemental Evil which I am fully in favor of.

It's very much an actual beta, that's for sure. I'll keep plugging at it until I can finish it at least once, though hopefully they'll fix some of the more critical bugs and issues quickly.

Game feel to me same that come to home from long trip. Atmosphere is very good  many way (music, conversation, mission etc.)
But compat is messy and far a way enjoyable.. System can be good but it will need much much more working.
And some things example inventory can learn something example Di:OS...

But have faith yet, it is first beta day and Obsidian have time make good developing :)

My first impression. You remember when as a young teen full of hormones that feeling u had when u were making out someone and everything was going right and then about to move on to intercourse (not the actual awkard part of ur first sex, but that feeling leading up to it)? Thats what my brain and eyes were feeling while playing. You know that feeling we all remember fondly of popping in BG or Morrowind or whatever for the first time and wishing u could go back to feeling? Yeah thats what my brain was feeling while playing.

and then it happened, my brain forgot to breath...

The eyes had shown it that it coukd make a pirate down to the Gol D Rogere massive glorius mustache!

Squeling for joy the pirate life began.

the looks are amazing, the sound and music is amazing, the.....you know what? Screw whatever i said, im jumping back into the beta. See ya

• Like 1

-Dialogues feel good.

Talking to Lord Harod/Harold/???, the writing takes the very, very complex concept of the poor and/or ignorant masses having rivalry with the rich and cultured out of some personal insecurities... and weaves it in a few simple sentences as to not only get that across, but make it very eloquent and understandable.

• Like 1