Update #84: Welcome to the Backer Beta

We said "thank you" to the devs multiple times. Now I just wanted to say "thanks" to all you guys getting through the beta. Really, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of threads and posts that have scyrocketed since its release, I can't even keep track of this forum anymore, it drives me insane. Keep up the great work, both Obsidian and Obsidianites.

Cheers ;)

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I would be glad if someone could answer my question. Will I be able to pre-order Boxed Collectors Edition after today 22th August ? Will there be some limited number for pre-order? I am unable to pay 140$+ for collectors edition right now and so I wonder.

I would really like to have it and videos from backer beta look amazing!

Some quick impressions:

- Graphics are gorgeous but the spell effects could be better

- Characted models, and particularly faces, are a bit ugly and featureless

- Characters need better contrast - they blend into the background quite a lot and are difficult to distinguish

- Combat is chaotic - I can't figure out what is going on - need better prompts. Right now, I feel I have little control over what's happening

- All the popup ballons and text should be smoother and better made - the stats popup for enemies takes half the screen! There should also be an option to turn off the health dots and stamina bars in combat

- Need more combat anymations!! Characters only swing one way

- Dialogue bar is too small even with reduced fonts - I'd suggest moving it in the center of the screen and making it wider, while have the party commands on the right

Edited by oldschool
  • Like 1

The rogue needs an AI that makes it flank people deliberately... and some actual thieving skills

would also be nice if we could actually break stuff in game...

we need customizable hot bars for characters... Also in combat its incrediably hard to select a specific enemy when they all cluster close together.

The screens in loading seem to be "off" the screen... this was at high resolutions like 2560 x1600 and 4k ...

blah... theres tons of bugs still too... most Ive seen have been reported.Which is good.

The area's look great.   Wish there was abit more to interact with on eah map, more hidden things etc...

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

The rogue needs an AI that makes it flank people deliberately... and some actual thieving skills

would also be nice if we could actually break stuff in game...

we need customizable hot bars for characters... Also in combat its incrediably hard to select a specific enemy when they all cluster close together.

The screens in loading seem to be "off" the screen... this was at high resolutions like 2560 x1600 and 4k ...

blah... theres tons of bugs still too... most Ive seen have been reported.Which is good.

The area's look great.   Wish there was abit more to interact with on eah map, more hidden things etc...

Glad you decided not to pirate it.

• Like 1

Im not so "worried" about "realision" bugs but good support and patches.

In first realise they allways will be some bugs, but i hope that you will be fixing them quickly, not like in NWN2 in with some bugs (many of them) where not fixed until this day.

Expecionally i hope that "quest/dialogs" will be putt to bigger consern then stats. I whoud reather forgive some bugs in "some" spells or some stat value reather then quest/dialog line bugs like in NwN2. I whoud like to awoid issus like in "khelgar quest" in with some idiot put "influence check = 10" rether then "influence check = >9" and becouse of if i coud make khelgar stay "warrior" and finish the quest only if i had 10 inluence no more no less.

Also "crossroad keep" takes a cake. Some values are not input corectly, some did not do anything, some values influences others even if they not suposed to etc" but at this moment attack of Garius at the keep is also brilliant. Seige towers are buggy (sometimes they spown undeadsometines not, somethimes you distroy towers but nothing prohgresses), Garius show up, but reather then summoning nighwalker he is atacking some grey cloth that putts him arrow in the knee, and Garus starts atacking him not summoning nighwalker ....

Secondly at least TRY not to add some more bugs in next patches, becouse in original game i encounter other bugs, in fully upgreated old ones where fixes but "New" bugs showed up xD

An i will not even say how bugged Warlock class was, spell DC to this day is not fixed, only acid spell that bypasses Spell Resistence make this class playable...

Please good support and good patches ... we will survive if 3/4 spells of 30 possible don't work as they supossed to xD

I'm worried about release day bugs.

Everyone should be. Bugs should be at a minimum if you're going to release a product.

Yeah but i whoud reather had, buggy game at the realise and fixed compleatly or almost at 2/3 patches, then Half as buggy game with never fixed bugs xD

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

I'm worried about release day bugs.

Everyone should be. Bugs should be at a minimum if you're going to release a product.

Yeah but i whoud reather had, buggy game at the realise and fixed compleatly or almost at 2/3 patches, then Half as buggy game with never fixed bugs xD

If your game does not work properly or at worse does not work, then why even bother releasing it?

Obsidian games do have a bit of a reputation for being buggy at launch but that usually gets fixed with patches and community fixes later.

If you join the beta you get the distinguished title of being a "beta tester". Which means you test things. Sometimes causing them break. It was in the "job description". You are after all part of the development process.

I like however that they took the time to leave out major spoilers.

And I am very excited we are finally on the home stretch!

The one suggestion I might add is:

Make everything, every little itty bitty action key-bindable. It helps a game immensely.

P.S. Bryy, please stop trolling people.

Now, I realize you may not be aware you are doing it, given the contents of your signature, but you do come off as rather brusque.

Now, I realize you may not be aware you are doing it, given the contents of your signature, but you do come off as rather brusque.

You do realize my sig is a joke, right? Like, I'm not actually that petty.

Every company has it's downfalls and it's not trollinf saying about this.

Blizzard :

1. You must waint wery long until they "finish" game.

2. Their Games are expencive

3. Sometimes you must buy 1 game 2/5 times, For example to fully buy scratcraft 2 mu must but wings of liberty, heart of the swarm and legancy of void.

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

2. Poor story telling/ dialogs.

3. Games are to easy, and the "dificulty" level is on "ok we will lead you honding your hand thru the whole game" (in ths issu only Lion head studios are worse)

Obsidian:

1. Poor Graphics, and graphic is not optimilized (poor graphic takeing to much resorces for this type of graphical level)

2. Their games are buggy

3. Sometimes Their games have low support and fixing level, some games were never fixed, even today afler so many patches, in Kotor 1 or NwN2 you may enchounter some bugs (less in kotor much more in nwn2)

So saying "Hay obsidian, pay attencion to fixing bugs" is in my opinion reather good, and is the same as saying "hey, biowre don't do awkward romances" and nobady says of trolling when we say about Biowere dawnfalls, but when we start saying about obsidian downfalls (and yes every company has some) people starting get offendet xD.

Obsidian games do have a bit of a reputation for being buggy at launch but that usually gets fixed with patches and community fixes later.

If you join the beta you get the distinguished title of being a "beta tester". Which means you test things. Sometimes causing them break. It was in the "job description". You are after all part of the development process..

I will give you 3 examples.

Kotor, Fallout new vegas, nwverwinter night 2. The last obsidian games.

In Any of those, they where buggy at the realise, some bugs where never fixed (in kotor they where mostly fixed bus still there was some).

If your game does not work properly or at worse does not work, then why even bother releasing it?

You shoud ask them not me xD

In my opinion i whoud reather like a game that is buggy but playable (bugs don't destroy gameplay) but they are fixed in next 2, 3 patches. Reather then a game that have half if it's bugs, still is playable but no one even bother fixing them xD

Edited by Ulquiorra

Lazy californians ! :banana:

Peanut butter jelly time,

Peanut butter  jelly time

Peanut butter jelly time

Peanut butter jelly time

Peanut butter an a baseball bat

where he at where he at where at

peanut butter jelly time :)

Sorry that im from Poland and don't understand your sarcasm,

• 3 weeks later...

Blizzard :

3. Sometimes you must buy 1 game 2/5 times, For example to fully buy scratcraft 2 mu must but wings of liberty, heart of the swarm and legancy of void.

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

3. Games are to easy, and the "dificulty" level is on "ok we will lead you honding your hand thru the whole game" (in ths issu only Lion head studios are worse)

Obsidian:

1. Poor Graphics, and graphic is not optimilized (poor graphic takeing to much resorces for this type of graphical level)

2. Their games are buggy

3. Sometimes Their games have low support and fixing level, some games were never fixed, even today afler so many patches, in Kotor 1 or NwN2 you may enchounter some bugs (less in kotor much more in nwn2)

Well Pillars of eternity won't even have any romance, that was already a huge drawback before even the beta release... for that reason I'm not expecting much of this game but who knows maybe it will have some good surprises anyway...

Edited by Wicelo

I tested the Beta. My First Impression for the gameplay and the Optik is still negativ. Gameplay is Not intuitive and i Had really Problems to make difference between Enemy and Friends. The Menu of abilities is too small and Looks wired. In comperation with baldurs gate 2 the Visual Effects of Magic and all the Environment Seems to be made without Love and colours. The Environment has no Details Depth. I Hope this will change until the Release. The Dialogbox in my opinion is too Big and somehow outplaced. My 2 cents

Blizzard :

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

Obsidian:

2. Their games are buggy

Well Pillars of eternity won't even have any romance, that was already a huge drawback before even the beta release... for that reason I'm not expecting much of this game but who knows maybe it will have some good surprises anyway...

Blizzard :

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

Obsidian:

2. Their games are buggy

Yeah cause we need romance to make a good video game, read a novel you nancy

Blizzard :

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

Obsidian:

2. Their games are buggy

Blizzard :

Biowere:

1. Awkward Romances

Obsidian:

2. Their games are buggy

Yeah cause we need romance to make a good video game, read a novel you nancy

Watch your mouth slug

Seriously? If you looking for romance go out to the club or something. What is a possible pleasure you can experience from romancing with a pixels? Personally I enjoyed Arcanum much more than dragon age. Much, much more (sorry for my lazy english ;p)