Backer Beta Information [Not Live Yet]

They should have just given the backers the same build they are testing internally. Those who wouldn't want to be spoiled need not play. Those who are willing to be spoiled for the sake of making the game better could.

Exactly. Other self-funded classic RPG project - Age of Decadence - used this approach, sharing its working beta with backers as it expanded. At the current stage the AoD backer beta includes about 2/3 of the game's content, AFAIK, and it's pretty awesome. The game is available for pre-purchase on steam, and a big working beta is a great incentive to buy into the project well before release. (although the game itself is only for hardcore CRPG players, it's pretty unforgiving). 

Yes, but AoD has been in beta for like 4 years. :cat:

• Like 1

So I paid 35$ to back the game on 20th of August... do I get the beta or am I supposed wait till winter for the full game... I could not understand. Any clarification will be helpful and much appreciated. 10x

Check the "Products" tab on your account. You should be able to generate the key from there.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

So I paid 35$ to back the game on 20th of August... do I get the beta or am I supposed wait till winter for the full game... I could not understand. Any clarification will be helpful and much appreciated. 10x

if you back the actual game, that does not include the beta. At higher levels of backing ($130+) the beta is given free. You will have to wait until the game comes out sometime (in winter?).

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

$35 for the full game and $25 for the beta.

• 4 weeks later...

It is my understanding, that one can still buy addons, if he already has an existing pledge.

My guess would also be, that if one is able to purchase backer beta addon, that one can then also play it. Distribution is handled by steam, the only thing provided by Obsidian is the steam beta key and it would be extremely inappropriate if they were still (after 3 weeks) selling something that can not be used.

Mind You, that so far only windows version has been released.

• 4 months later...

It is my understanding, that one can still buy addons, if he already has an existing pledge.

My guess would also be, that if one is able to purchase backer beta addon, that one can then also play it. Distribution is handled by steam, the only thing provided by Obsidian is the steam beta key and it would be extremely inappropriate if they were still (after 3 weeks) selling something that can not be used.

Mind You, that so far only windows version has been released.

As of February 17 you could still buy the Backer Beta as an addon on this website, if you had a prior pledge, for an additional $25, and then generate a steam key which you could use to download a playable copy of the Backer Beta. I know this because I did it, so it works. It was probably an unwise decision on my part, because I could've just waited a month, but I wanted RPG now and  . . . I got just enough of a solid taste to leave me wanting a lot more of this game, unfortunately >_<