Balancing: Monks

I'd suggest we start a thread like this for every class, pin them to the top of the forum and then just argue about stuff related. You know, being neatly organized and everything for the devs.

I'll just start this thread with monks because I like em. Maybe some mod wanna help with this?

Carry on, forumites.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 3

Good luck with trying to keep a beta feedback forum organized. :p

Sounds like reasonable idea to try, though. 

• Like 3

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

This is a great idea. Maybe we can get them pinned. "Class-based Feedback: (insert class name here)" for each class, maybe?

I know you're still gonna have cross-over, but we should really try to keep purely technical stuff separate from pure suggestions and the like.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I agree. One thing I'd like to suggest is that suggestions for balancing should have a standard way of saying which difficulty you are playing on. That way the devs know if someone is complaining that a dungeon is too easy or an ability is OP that they are playing on a low difficulty or high.

Darn, posted a little feedback on the monk of my own in a seperate thread before noticing this one. I'm brand new to the forum so it'll be some time before my posts show up. I hope we can consolidate feedback to one thread, but it may be tricky without sticky'd threads!

I am playing a Female Island Aumaua Monk and she is better than my Fighter as a Tank when unarmored/unarmed vs the Dyrford Beetles because she can act more often and remove her wounds. The Fighter, even in Plate mail takes heaps of damage, and doesn't act very often.

Here are my attributes btw

18 Might

18 Con

19 Dex

8 Per

10 Int

7 Res

Currently though Resolve and Perception are absolute trash attributes, so this character has a more powerful attribute array than the BB Fighter.

My Monk seems to just die on repeat. I'm like "let's go kill some spiders BB team"! ... Dead. I'm even playing on easy... Heh, I must be doing it wrong.

Sometimes I can't really tell if I'm using my abilities or not. Maybe it's just game mechanics that I'm not used to. When the old infinity engine games came out I was pretty young. I was completely sucked into the fantasy aspect of the games but spent most of my time lost or dead. Now I'm older and I don't get lost... Still dead tho. A fifty percent improvement isn't bad.

First impression:

In my first fight, I had the problem that the monk was fairly useless because the enemies all attacked my fighter and so I couldn't generate any wounds to begin with. I think monks need some kind of taunt ability to make their concept more useful. Doesn't even have to be that much of a control effect, e.g. they could only use it on enemies they are engaged with in melee or something like that.

Also, on my resolution, the information for wounds is really hard to notice, so I died a horrible death in the second fight without noting the wounds at all. Needs more visceral feedback.

I have playing now about 5 hours in female coastal aumaua monk. It working well as a tank same way that Sensuki said. Ofcourse you must be more carefull that with fighter. Now fighting is so messy that it is difficult.

My attributes:

19 Might

16 Con

15 Dex

12 Per

10 Int

6 Res

In fight resolve and perception not really needed, but in discussions i have see many times checking with them. This is good but hope Obsidian also make them to bigger role in fighting also. First beta day, many thing is yet really open..