What will be your character's name?

I don't know. How do we name our pets? Do we get a common names for elves, dwarves, humans, aumaua and orlans yet? I don't even know how to name my character yet! Chris should give us a list, I feel.

Because I suck at it and Chris or anyone who created this world hasn't suggested anything yet. I remember spending hours at character creation during Icewind Dale(I have to create 6!) and in the end came up with a monk called Iron MONKey. I also think it is important for all us to know some common names in this world(what is it called already?), just like in ours when we hear "Feargus Urguhart" we know he has Scottish ancestry and the mention of "Jackie Chan" and you will know he is Asian.

So, let's hear what you will be naming your character until we get a list from Obsidian :)

• Like 3

Something to draw inspiration from: Viking names

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

So, let's hear what you will be naming your character until we get a list from Obsidian :)

There is a very small list of example names(source):

Aedyran:

Male names: Aldwyn, Beacwof, Ethelmoer, Furly, Hafmacg, Unfric.  Female names: Battixa, Bricanta, Esmy, Grimda, Iselmyr, Yngfrith.

Vailian:

Male name: Cendo, Giandele, Liano, Randatu, Verzano.  Female names: Ancelle, Laudira, Malita, Pallegina, Salgiatte.

Glanfathan:

Male names: Arthwn, Brân, Enfws, Simoc, Thristwn.  Female names:  Bledha, Iswld, Onŵen, Sîdha, Tamra

Josh hasn't mentioned names of the other cultures, but the language in the deadfire archipelago has inuit/greenlandic roots, in Rautai the language has maori roots and in Ixamitl the language has Nahuatl roots. So you could always search for names of the original language.

• Like 8

To have some names lore depending on the culture sounds interesting. 

What I like to do when looking for a name is to take a common name like in Glen Cook's books (Silence, Madam, etc.) or Neil Gaiman (Wednesday, Shadow, Lady Door, etc.). That's how I came up with my actual name here: Semelle. 

A french word meaning "sole" like a shoe's sole.  

Sounds weird at first but could become a true and evocative name (don't we have some girls called Patience or Marguerite in real life?). 

I'm curious to know how far we can go with such names and still be fitting the PoE's lore names.

There is a very small list of example names(source):

Aedyran:

Male names: Aldwyn, Beacwof, Ethelmoer, Furly, Hafmacg, Unfric.  Female names: Battixa, Bricanta, Esmy, Grimda, Iselmyr, Yngfrith.

Vailian:

Male name: Cendo, Giandele, Liano, Randatu, Verzano.  Female names: Ancelle, Laudira, Malita, Pallegina, Salgiatte.

Glanfathan:

Male names: Arthwn, Brân, Enfws, Simoc, Thristwn.  Female names:  Bledha, Iswld, Onŵen, Sîdha, Tamra

Josh hasn't mentioned names of the other cultures, but the language in the deadfire archipelago has inuit/greenlandic roots, in Rautai the language has maori roots and in Ixamitl the language has Nahuatl roots. So you could always search for names of the original language.

This is very helpful, thanks!

Kilya Frexpi (I actually had an evil sorceress in NWN2 called Kilya - it amused me at the time)

Nowexpi Nofite

Actually - from the backer beta video it looks like you just get to enter one name like in BG - so I'll only go with a name I want to be referred to by - given name or nick-name:

Aldric (Human Paladin)

Arron (Human Ranger)

Gryth (Dwarven Fighter)

Scythe (Human Rogue)

Lief (Human Druid)

Shai (Elven Priest)

but I'll probably also look through the lore a bit before naming any Aumaua or Orlan characters to get something that fits.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Dave.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Um well typically I have two names I use for every RPG- Ailyn or Evany. But since PoE isn't generic fantasy and there is thought put into each different culture, I'm going to find something that fits with the lore. So far I've only come up with a name for a Vailian character- Cosima. 

I have been toying with something like... CharName. What do you guys think?

DemoNotBeta is my fallback at this point

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I have been toying with something like... CharName. What do you guys think?

DemoNotBeta is my fallback at this point

Hmmm, Charna Me or Demon OverTime Beta?

The first acually sounds quite good :geek:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I have a few names from a tonne of roleplaying through mmo's, and they (generally) fit (at least a little bit) most lore. so:
Mileka Falite,
Clariel Anders,
Jere Anders (These two are the main part of my Wasteland 2 party, so probably won't be seeing PoE for a while!)
Grorgir (or Gorgir) Gronst (Saved for generic stupid Fighter)
Elska Eldurheift (Paladin character name)
Violet Eilberin (Human-esque magical type character, used mostly for a character that hasn't got much experience of fighting or anything).

At the moment I'm liking that Mileka character type (pretty based off of a Joan Jett style attitude, she's badass), so I'll probbaly be going with Mileka Falite! (I can't wait until DA:I when that names going to fit into the Orlesian lore so well :3)

• Like 1