Forum edit function too... sensitive?

Marceror

I think the mod even removes the notification of an ignored post. So it could possibly remove the notification, to you only, that you edited your own post. Win/win!

Ah, but the rest of the world would know. And the knowledge that the world know, might be too much knowledge and make the poster end up as a bum who wets himself. How do you know that this hasn't happened on another forum already?

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic? Ok. I just made another mistake and I can't edit it to add a letter without it showing that it was edited. Damn my rusting English. :facepalm:

And this is a problem because...?

This thread continues to be an expression of insecurity. Oh em gee, someone might see an edit and think something!

It doesn't matter, it won't be changed, and it isn't funny as a running gag. Let it go.

• Like 1

Back on topic? Ok. I just made another mistake and I can't edit it to add a letter without it showing that it was edited. Damn my rusting English. :facepalm:

This thread continues to be an expression of insecurity. Oh em gee, someone might see an edit and think something!

It doesn't matter, it won't be changed, and it isn't funny as a running gag. Let it go.

It was a joke. ;)

sign.jpg

I'll let it go when I either a) get a response from an administrator (which I don't believe exist at this point) or b) the forum gets shut down.

And as far as insecurity goes... I suppose that's your guess as to my motivation. It happens to be wrong, at least mostly. But hey.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

And as far as insecurity goes... I suppose that's your guess as to my motivation. It happens to be wrong, at least mostly. But hey.

Then, to quote my favorite Devil May Cry character, "Where's your motivation?!"

Edited by Heijoushin

2s0437.jpg

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

Then, to quote my favorite Devil May Cry character, "Where's your motivation?!"

Well, it's certainly not because I think anything is going to change at this point. Really, it's just about seeing if anyone in charge will ever respond on this. Even if it's just to tell me to f*#k off. I would love to understand their reasoning for implementing such a policy in the first place, when pretty much no other web forum has the need for such a policy. When I encounter something weird, overtly draconian, and/or completely out of touch with most the rest of the world, I get curious and want to understand.

As such, I'd like to understand the anomaly that is the edit function on these forums. I have little hope of a response, but that's no reason not to keep trying. Maybe I'll catch an admin on an "off day" when they actually feel like responding to a long standing community question. Most likely not, but these posts don't cost much for me to make every so often.

• 3 weeks later...

I wabt this thread to drag on for as ling as possible even if it has no reason to.

I said it before, this thread is just magnificent!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I wabt this thread to drag on for as ling as possible even if it has no reason to.

I said it before, this thread is just magnificent!

Ybes sir!

Edited by Marceror

Philosophically this thread has a lot of reasons to live.

If this thread is not a testament to the global need of persons raging against the socio-technological dying of the light, I don't know what is. We need to hold bad standards accountable. We must stand vigilant against the curtailment of personalized choices on the internet or we will all end up slaves of Alexa, Siri, Facebook, Google and Apple and other implements of techno-tyranny we cannot control!

The fight starts here! Make a stand and be counted!

Nerf Troubadour!

I cant wait for you to correct your typo so we can all point and laugh at your ribbon of shame. :p

Tbh, I don't care about cotrecting my typo's, I think almost every comment I write has a typo. I stopped caring about correcting them as its strange when people assumed that it's linked to bad literacy lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...

Philosophically this thread has a lot of reasons to live.

If this thread is not a testament to the global need of persons raging against the socio-technological dying of the light, I don't know what is. We need to hold bad standards accountable. We must stand vigilant against the curtailment of personalized choices on the internet or we will all end up slaves of Alexa, Siri, Facebook, Google and Apple and other implements of techno-tyranny we cannot control!

The fight starts here! Make a stand and be counted!

Live!

Edited by Marceror

Tbh, I don't care about cotrecting my typo's, I think almost every comment I write has a typo. I stopped caring about correcting them as its strange when people assumed that it's linked to bad literacy lol

My post was intended as a joke in the vein of this thread. You know, because if you fixed the typo then there would have been an "edited by", ahh it was funnier in my head.

Here's an idea. Since this feature is clearly not going anywhere, why not work around it?

Simply use the edit function on every single one of your posts, always. That way the footnote is rendered pointless and redundant, since technically, all of your posts have been "edited" by you anyway, regardless of whether you've altered them after hitting the post button. It could become a sort of protest schtick.

This could easily be defeated by the admin adding an "edited X times" to the notice, but I think we'll see a full revamping of the forum software as a result of the MS acquisition sooner than small changes or bug fixes...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Here's an idea. Since this feature is clearly not going anywhere, why not work around it?

Simply use the edit function on every single one of your posts, always. That way the footnote is rendered pointless and redundant, since technically, all of your posts have been "edited" by you anyway, regardless of whether you've altered them after hitting the post button. It could become a sort of protest schtick.

This could easily be defeated by the admin adding an "edited X times" to the notice, but I think we'll see a full revamping of the forum software as a result of the MS acquisition sooner than small changes or bug fixes...

Seems a bit of a stretch to do every post, though.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, seems a bit exxxtreme. 

Yes, but sometimes what you really need is more than words.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

Well, we mods have to physically check a box just to leave the "edited by" notification. That, good sir, is too much effort for me to participate. Instead I shall choose to stand with you guys by never, ever again, leaving an "edited by" mark. I do this for you. 

LOL ... I was always too lazy to check that box too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It could be a signature. Is there a way to automatically add the time stamp? :p

sign.jpg

At least the latest breed of spammers leaves a trail of 'Edited by...' when retroactively updating approved posts with commercial links sprinkled in there randomly.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein