Forum edit function too... sensitive?

Marceror

Other than the clock concern, editing is currently no longer time limited as this has not been misused as it has been previously. As I look into the time for the server, which may be out of our hands (per se), are thee other experiences about the boards that might require tweaking?

This thread has never been the duration of time a poster is allowed to edit their post. It's about the fact that those edits are immediately recorded as having happened, even when they happen within mere seconds of the original post having been submitted. Like, to correct a simple typo.

I've been asking for the last 2 1/2 years for a lightening of this policy, or at least an explanation why it exists. I've never seen another message board implement something like this. Why not give us a minute or two, at least, before permanently memorializing such last minute tweaks? It's utterly useless information, that this forum seems intent on hanging onto.

Let it go Obsidian forum administrator. Just let it go.... 

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

• 1 year later...

I realize that Obsidian doesn't owe me anything. Sure, when they were struggling several years backed I went to my wallet to back "Project Eternity" (which later became known as Pillars of Eternity). I went back to my wallet to back Pillars of Eternity 2, and have purchased many other games of theirs. I've done a lot on social media and with friends to further promote their games.

But they don't owe me anything for that. They provide the games, and I do what I want to purchase, support and/or promote them, or not. I'm entitled to nothing beyond the games they provide, nor is Obsidian entitled to anything from me. Period.

That all said, I must say that after three and a half years of asking a simple question, repeatedly, I just have to wonder why they are so insistent about not responding. A mere sentence from them could go such a long way, even if it provides a message/answer that I don't want to hear. I don't understand what is so hard about this question, that it's still crickets after 3.5 years. After I initially made this post, one of the mods here even commented that he'd run it by the admin of the board. And yet, nothing.

While I again acknowledge that I am owed nothing, I similarly acknowledge my disappointment in Obsidian for their unwillingness to throw me even the slightest bone on this topic. The policy in question is clearly something that really bothers me about this website, and I still have no idea after 3.5 years whether this is an oversight on their part or a policy that they feel is necessary and are unwilling to change.

Public web forum. Easy to make posts. Virtually no time required to write a single sentence. And yet, still nothing?

At least it's not like GameFaqs, where every edit you do creates a copy of your last non-edited post that people can view by clicking the post number. So if you edit it three times people can go look at every single version of the post you created via multiple edits.

...that feature is what eventually led me to not care about people knowing how often I make little edits. Which I do a lot (edits). Not just for spelling, but wanting to change wording of a sentence here and there. It's my nature to want to correct and clarify. Why try and hide it. Edit away, and be proud! :biggrin:

EditEdit: although, it would be nice if the "Edit" byline was in a somewhat smaller font size.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh wow, just noticed they killed off the gamefaqs.com domain.

Yeah, that did that pretty recently - something about showing solidarity with gamespot and how between the two of them they're the biggest gaming destination or something. Whatever.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

IRRC, some forums only list the post as having been edited after another user has added a new post; such that unlimited edits are possible—so long as it is the most recent post in the thread. 

This is my preferred method.

Edited by Gizmo

So Marceror, have you given up or can we catch you on this thread again in 2019?

If I haven't given up in 3.5 years....

The way things are "progressing" you may be seeing me at this for a good while longer than 2019, so ya'll have that to look forward to. I'm hoping that at some point, if for no other reason than sheer embarrassment at their public lack of unresponsiveness (or whatever the reason), someone at Obsidian will, at last, provide some level of (semi)official reply. Or not....

But yeah, I think I'll keep carrying the ole torch. ;)

I'm hoping that at some point, if for no other reason than sheer embarrassment at their public lack of unresponsiveness (or whatever the reason), someone at Obsidian will, at last, provide some level of (semi)official reply. Or not....

I think this stems from a general misunderstanding of the function, or purpose, of these forums. Obsidian pretty clearly maintains these forums as a place for fans to interact. Even the moderators are fans. There doesn't seemed to be any type of paid community manager. It isn't really used as a platform for the company to interact with the public. The developers occasionally pop on, but in a fairly casual capacity rather than something official. 

So yeah, just enjoy them. They are free. :p

I'm hoping that at some point, if for no other reason than sheer embarrassment at their public lack of unresponsiveness (or whatever the reason), someone at Obsidian will, at last, provide some level of (semi)official reply. Or not....

I think this stems from a general misunderstanding of the function, or purpose, of these forums. Obsidian pretty clearly maintains these forums as a place for fans to interact. Even the moderators are fans. There doesn't seemed to be any type of paid community manager. It isn't really used as a platform for the company to interact with the public. The developers occasionally pop on, but in a fairly casual capacity rather than something official. 

So yeah, just enjoy them. They are free. :p

Are you suggesting that Obsidian fans should not feel empowered to ask questions or make suggestions about the Obsidian forums?

Are you suggesting that Obsidian fans should not feel empowered to ask questions or make suggestions about the Obsidian forums?

You already did that nearly 4 years ago. You are way past that at this point.

Edited by Hurlshot

You already did that nearly 4 years ago. You are way past that at this point.

Yes, because I would not agree with such an assertion. But the fact remains, you haven't answered the question. ;)

Ah, but I did answer the question.

The question was: "Are you suggesting that Obsidian fans should not feel empowered to ask questions or make suggestions about the Obsidian forums?"

It was a yes or no question. You've not provided a yes or a no response. So no, you've not answered my question. You merely responded with a non-answer. ;)

Can you re-phrase the question?

I mean, I could. But since I asked the question that I meant to, I’m not really inclined to do so.

I, of course, accept that you are under no obligation to answer more directly. The implied answer seems to be that yes, you’re in favor of censoring questions to the devs. I was just giving you a chance to clarify otherwise.