Forum edit function too... sensitive?

Marceror

Occasionally when I hit "submit" on a post, I notice that while typing quickly I had written "the" instead of "they", or some other similar mistake. I immediately hit edit and correct the mistake.

On basically every other forum I've ever used I get at least some sort of "grace period" where my post isn't marked as having been edited. But on these forums there appears to be no such grace period.

I'm curious as to why. It seems a tad onerous to mark a post as having been edited if a quick touch up occurs within 30 - 60 seconds of the post being submitted. It's a minor annoyance, sure, but I'm wondering if there's any chance we can get that changed.

EDIT: 20 seconds later, just to demonstrate

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 3

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Thanks Tigranes. That's much appreciated.

Again, I fully acknowledge that this isn't any sort of urgent request. It's just that the current configuration and my inner OCD kitty are very much at odds here! :p

I seem to recall back in the BIS days that there were people who'd post one thing, trollingly, get an angry response and then edit their post in the appropriate edit window so it looked like the guy replying had just went off on them.  As I recall (again) it was this that caused them to make it so regular users could not edit without getting an "edited" test and that it was a policy carried over to Obsidian's boards.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Even a 30 - 60 second grace period would be nice to see. I can't imagine that would give people a lot of time to post something, look at a reply, and then modify their post in the way you suggest. I've seen plenty of websites offer at least a shorter window. Can't say I've ever seen a forum that wasn't able to offer any window for this.

But hey, if there's a valid reason I'll certainly cope with it as is.

Even a 30 - 60 second grace period would be nice to see. I can't imagine that would give people a lot of time to post something, look at a reply, and then modify their post in the way you suggest. I've seen plenty of websites offer at least a shorter window. Can't say I've ever seen a forum that wasn't able to offer any window for this.

I could be wrong of course, those are my memories of dimly lit things from 2004 (at the latest, I think thats when the Obs forum started).

That said, I think you radically underestimate the abilities of some of our illustrious membership (myself included) in firing off angry responses. :)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, the quote function is your friend, so that original response is forever memorialized. But honestly, if 30 seconds is enough time for someone post something, receive an angry response, go in and revise their post only to claim never to have posted what the angry response is addressing... AND this sort of thing is happening with enough regularity for it to actually be a problem, well, that's what I call plain bizarre.

I'm more joking than anything at this point.

That said it once WAS a problem (but then I think at that point that software didn't indicated if anything had ever been edited.)

I could be wrong of course, those are my memories of dimly lit things from 2004 (at the latest, I think thats when the Obs forum started).

That said, I think you radically underestimate the abilities of some of our illustrious membership (myself included) in firing off angry responses. :)

Wasn't it the 15 minute edit limit (or however many minutes it was) that was imposed because of that? I remember the problems that were had, but not the response to them. Might have been both the time limit and the edit message.

IIRC some admin types don't have the edit function show up, but yeah I think both were because of that.

But I could be wrong, we're talking stuff a decade or more ago.

As somewhat of a perfectionist, I'm not a fan of the lack of edit ability without it showing up as an edit, because I like to re-read what I'd just posted one more time to see if I made any spelling/grammar errors.

The anal part of me doesn't like seeing a bunch of "edited 2 times" below the post all because I accidentally used a wrong word and went back to fix it immediately after posting.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Reddit has it both ways: you have like a 5 minute grace period where you can edit as many times as you want...unless somebody replies to you, in which case no matter what, any subsequent edit shows a notice.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Reddit has it both ways: you have like a 5 minute grace period where you can edit as many times as you want...unless somebody replies to you, in which case no matter what, any subsequent edit shows a notice.

I think a system like that is ideal, personally.

As somewhat of a perfectionist, I'm not a fan of the lack of edit ability without it showing up as an edit, because I like to re-read what I'd just posted one more time to see if I made any spelling/grammar errors.

The anal part of me doesn't like seeing a bunch of "edited 2 times" below the post all because I accidentally used a wrong word and went back to fix it immediately after posting.

Glad to know I'm not the only anally-retentive, perfection striving whacko on these boards! :p

Hello brother!

Isn't that what the preview button is for?

Isn't that what the preview button is for?

I use the preview button and still end up finding stuff that I think is spelled wrong or perhaps could be edited for clarity after I've posted.

Somtimes, I just leave it and hope no one notices... :shifty:

I used to be the exact same way.

The only thing that changed is it no longer tells people when I've done an edit. Which I have already done to this post.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I used to be the exact same way.

The only thing that changed is it no longer tells people when I've done an edit. Which I have already done to this post.

I'd like to point out that this includes edits Tale might have made to any of YOUR posts, members. :yes::lol:

I tend to show it just for fairness sake. Nobody else has this luxury, why should I? See:

Edited by TrueNeutral

• 2 weeks later...

Could we at least get a 30 second grace period? Just posted something. I'm tired and noticed that I spelled stick as still. Immediately corrected and got the big "edited" message on my post.

30 seconds. That's all I'm asking.

• 2 weeks later...

Any response on this? Is this something that is remotely possible to make happen at some point? Or does the webmaster feel strongly that any edits made, even those made 10 seconds after posting to change "teh" to "the" should always be displayed for the world to see?