Physical manual in the boxed copy tier.

It says in the 50$ tier that there will be a manual included.

Does anyone know what kind of manual we are talking here? A small leaflet like in most today's games (if that) or something more along the lines of ye old Baldur's Gate games (up to 100 pages or more)?

It says in the 50$ tier that there will be a manual included.

Does anyone know what kind of manual we are talking here? A small leaflet like in most today's games (if that) or something more along the lines of ye old Baldur's Gate games (up to 100 pages or more)?

If it's not a manual that I can assault someone with, I will be displeased.

I think they said we'd get an old school manual.

• Like 1

I believe it was stated a long time ago that the regular edition box was going to be a DVD style case...so we'll see what they can fit in there.

However, I would be massively let down if on the Collector's Edition the manual isn't atleast 150 pages; containing charts and tables chock full of XP, talents, and spell descriptions -and printed on higher quality paper stock. I would be very pleased if it was spiral bound.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Am I the only one that thinks physical manuals serve no purpose anymore?

It's not about utility, Bryy. It's about that nostalgic feeling of reading through all the tables and lore in a physical manual.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

"Am I the only one that thinks physical manuals serve no purpose anymore?"

Physical manuals are awesome so you don't have to be at your computer to read them. I still, from tiem to time, read manuals to older games for gigles and often times start playing those games again just because the manual got me pumped up. This is evn true for games I hated then I start playing them and I go, oh yeah, this game sucks lol:P">..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think physical manuals are quite cool but I view them as more of a novelty, collector's item, conversation piece than something actually needed and practical.

Anyway, the days of almost every game having an 'actual' manual that doesn't come as part of collectors set but as just a normal part of the game are looong gone. So manuals have in fact, become purely collector's items. 

Edited by Qiushui

Also, I realize we'll have a separate Cooking With Tim cookbook, but I still expect to see atleast one pastry recipe from Tim Cain to be printed on the back of the manual.

And an introduction/foreword at the beginning in the style of Zeb Cook or Dr. Ray Muzyka.

Because nostalgia.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well, they let you look things up without alt+tabbing out of your game, for one.

Yeah I agree, I think I bought the hard copy strategy guide for the Witcher 2 even though I already got a digital version with the game because it was so much easier to have it open on the desk instead of alt-tabbing back and forth all the time! :)

Serve no purpose? Serve no purpose?!? Oh, my good man. How misled thou art.

Few things in life are more sacred than 30 minutes spent in the lavatory reading through a 100+ page manual of your most recently purchased game. Just because the opportunity to do this is fading like a stinky toilet in the wind, is it no indication that the activity is any less rewarding or wonderful than it ever was. It's much like the drive in theatre or the vinyl record. Some great things just have a way of fading away over time. 'Tis sad indeed.

• Like 4

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Few things in life are more sacred than 30 minutes spent in the lavatory reading through a 100+ page manual of your most recently purchased game. Just because the opportunity to do this is fading like a stinky toilet in the wind, is it no indication that the activity is any less rewarding or wonderful than it ever was. It's much like the drive in theatre or the vinyl record. Some great things just have a way of fading away over time. 'Tis sad indeed.

Not at all. The proud tradition of reading while dropping a deuce is still with us. The difference being the book/manual has been replaced with a tablet/e-reader.

In other words, I'm fine with a PDF manual. The important thing is content, not the format it comes in.

Not at all. The proud tradition of reading while dropping a deuce is still with us. The difference being the book/manual has been replaced with a tablet/e-reader.

In other words, I'm fine with a PDF manual. The important thing is content, not the format it comes in.

I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart. There's something irreplaceable about those thin sheets of dead tree in your hand. Flipping the pages the way god intended.

This doesn't mean I'm above bringing in phone, tablet or laptop, and I do so regularly (sometimes more than one at a time). But there is something on a spiritual level that is lost in that translation, at least as far as I'm concerned.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

"tablet/e-reader."

You own that trash? And, do you keep it by your compute in case you need to look something up while playing so you don't have to quit out (or tab out or whatever) to check it?

Nope, physical manual will always be the best way to do things.

P.S.  Don't expect me to cry a single tear for trees. Trees have been around forever and they'll be here much longer than me and when I die no tree will ever shed a single tear for me so if they have no mercy I won't either.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"tablet/e-reader."

You own that trash? And, do you keep it by your compute in case you need to look something up while playing so you don't have to quit out (or tab out or whatever) to check it?

My tablet is crying its little silicon eyes out that you called it "trash".

There's no call for that. We're all just atoms, man.

• Like 1