They do not look like cosplayers any more or less than Eder does.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

They do not look like cosplayers any more or less than Eder does.

Well, that's a matter of opinion, isn't it?

If you mean that because it's a ~fantasy~ game and thus they can't look like actual people(or whatever, close enough), then we're really on different pages.

I didn't say that it wasn't your opinion. I said that it was a silly statement.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I agree with Panteleimon, the BG1/2 portraits are really corny and also the lighting is kinda weird. They look to me like the photos they made for the board game The last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/222160/last-night-earth-zombie-game

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/237959/last-night-earth-zombie-game

I am glad we get some more serious portraits with PoE.

• Like 2

and also the lighting is kinda weird.

You're disqualified from having any opinions anymore.

[slap Aloth]

I dont like the PE Portraits either.

They look more like sqetches with very low detail and also quite random. The BG 1 Portraits have an amazing level of detail, they look natural and tell something about the character.

I hope I can change all the portraits ingame so I can use the BG1 portraits for the NPCs...

• Like 1

FYI here are the portrait caps that I got yesterday:

The two portraits on the bottom left looks like they're based on photographs, which then have been painted over. The one in the middle in the bottom row is perhaps a backer portrait. However, she actually looks quite a lot like the portrait right above her, which is weird. The two portraits in the corners of the upper row are my favourites among this bunch. :)

That's a great idea actually, I'll probably chuck a painting photoshop filter on some of myself and friends hahaha

I think the BG ones are kinda weird/cheesy. Never really thought much of the portraits. Selecting them was always a lame experience as well

Never liked the art style of the BG portraits, most of them look creepy and annoying, like they had one plastic surgery to many.

You people are weird.

• Like 2

[slap Aloth]

I like the BG style of portraint just fine, but they did look very "produced".  The lighting is really strong in all of them, all but a few are making some sort of heavy expression, and they don't look like paintings no.  They do look like photoshopped photos of people taken "striking cool poses" under mood lights.  Bear in mind there is nothing "wrong" with that it is just a different style of portrait.

The one thing I don't like about Eternity portraits is the same thing Sensuki doesn't like....  They are not consistent.  You can tell some portraits were made by different artists and some portraits are these modular "same face different hair" type portraits while others are unique.  I would have preferred a consistent style and quality even if it meant fewer portraits in the end.

Unlike everyone else though I see nothing wrong with the fat bearded guy in plate portrait, it is fine.

• Like 5

People have different tastes and that's great in my opinion. There are good portraits in all the games mentioned but perhaps my favorite ones are from IWD and IWD 2. However, some PoE portraits look very good indeed.

• Like 1

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Perhaps this is heresy, but I don't need all portraits to be facial. I'd love to see portraits like this:

nxrew2.jpg

Also, while I'm at it, I prefer this smeared, dirty and even grainy look, over those crystal-clear and over-lit BG EE portraits we just saw.

• Like 7

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You people are weird.

And you're apparently a troll... deal with it, the BG portraits aren't as popular as you think. Remember the Dungeons & Dragons movie? That's basically what BG's portraits look like to me.

I prefer normal portraits like the ones from PoE. I'm not happy with the lack of consistency, but the fact that I can choose between several portraits that look good enough is a big step forward. In BG1 I really couldn't choose a portrait, mostly because almost all characters had ridiculous earrings and goatees and smug grins.

Fearabbit, it's okay to admit that you don't have good taste. Nobody's going to hold it against you.

[slap Aloth]

Why can't they just make portraits look like they did in BG1? There really isn't anything that has ever come close since. I mean, look at the warmth, depth, atmosphere, character, andlife in these portraits(Except for the vile, disgusting EE portrait).

[baldur's Gate Portrait Collection]

Now it's all just flat, colorless, and hollow "representations" without any life in them.

With respect to EE, I just have to point out that Dorn Il-Khan's portrait is amazing. Trash the others if you will, but Dorn's is about as close to perfect as they come.

I'm also a fan of Hexxat's portrait, even though that one is rather controversial.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke