Lul Mcomb was only 22?  How the heck did he get to be one of the main book writers at TSR and only be 22???  These days you have to be frigging published or they won't even look at your application.

That said I loved Planescape as a setting, he did good stuff.  Even if the complete book of elves sucked.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll play as the DGL at some point. Their appearance is bizarre, but I'm not turned off by it. I think I prefer the male DGL, however.

If I'm playing a class that can benefit from their bonuses, sure, I'll use this race. Now, if I was going to date one of these guys, that would be a different story most likely! Not sure I'd be up for that!

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Yeah, I have been thinking, for a later play through, a DGL Paladin (Dunno what Order though).  A combination of Flames of Devotion + Death's Usher sounds pretty fun.  Add in the talent from one of the Gamescom streams that increases Flames of Devotion's damage, and I think that I would have a character with some killing blow power.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll play as the DGL at some point. Their appearance is bizarre, but I'm not turned off by it. I think I prefer the male DGL, however.

If I'm playing a class that can benefit from their bonuses, sure, I'll use this race. Now, if I was going to date one of these guys, that would be a different story most likely! Not sure I'd be up for that!

Did you just create a new acronym? I broke out my deep pondering skilz for atleast 25 seconds trying to decipher DGL before I got it.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Did you just create a new acronym? I broke out my deep pondering skilz for atleast 25 seconds trying to decipher DGL before I got it.

I may have at that!

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Lul Mcomb was only 22?  How the heck did he get to be one of the main book writers at TSR and only be 22???  These days you have to be frigging published or they won't even look at your application.

At the time TSR was run by Lorraine Williams. From the stories I've heard, working there probably kinda sucked. 

Screw you, Lorraine Williams. Wherever you are. 

Also, I remember having the Complete Book of Elves as a kid. I don't remember a strong reaction to it at the time, but I did grow up to despise elves and all they stand for. There may be a subtle causal link I haven't acknowledged. 

• Like 1

Unlike most peeps here, it seems, I don't mind elves - but that smirky portrait really crawls under my skin, where it inserts tiny eggs of Beverly Hills 90210 emulation! >_<

If any NPC in the game has a portrait like that, I'll unleash my horde of killer rabbits and insta-kill! :devil:

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

FYI here are the portrait caps that I got yesterday:

p8.png

P444.pngP666.pngP77.png

P1.pngP22.pngP33.png

The two portraits on the bottom left looks like they're based on photographs, which then have been painted over. The one in the middle in the bottom row is perhaps a backer portrait. However, she actually looks quite a lot like the portrait right above her, which is weird. The two portraits in the corners of the upper row are my favourites among this bunch. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Why can't they just make portraits look like they did in BG1? There really isn't anything that has ever come close since. I mean, look at the warmth, depth, atmosphere, character, andlife in these portraits(Except for the vile, disgusting EE portrait).

KEX9Z.jpg

Now it's all just flat, colorless, and hollow "representations" without any life in them.

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

The current ones look more like a painting, which is fine.

Also, these portrait are from the EE edition? I'm sure the bald guy with the tattoo at the bottom isn't in the original game.

Yeah, there's an EE portrait mixed in there. Also, what kind of paintings do you look at? The current ones have the "made on PC" look.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

It's okay. It's not BG1 level, though. I just don't like that washed-out, intentionally low-detail look.

• Like 1

[slap Aloth]

I always thought that there were some good ones from the original game, and they have a nice lifelike quality. But most of them have a purposely goofy, tongue-in-cheek look.
 I mean, top left? Third from the right, top row? Not exactly the faces of vehicles for serious, thoughtful gaming.

The new portraits are aesthetically pleasing and take themselves seriously without being overly broody(like a few of the IWD2 ones, yikes)while still having personality. The deliberately hand painted look with the new ones is good. I dig them. Reminds me of the "Girl With a Pearl Earring" and Dutch painting of that era in general, actually, a big favorite of mine(heck, I own a reproduction) .

But there's no accounting for taste, obviously. Thus, custom portraits.

I agree that the EE one is a dead fish.

Edited by Panteleimon

I agree with Tartantyco, to an extent. The art styles are different, and I can see a preference for one over the other.

However I think Eder and Pallegina look amazing. I really like Eder, though. It reminds me of those old BG portraits in that I see some of his personality shine through. Like Minsc's love for Boo, or Edwin's look of planning his next power play, and Xzar's insanity. Pallegina is probably showing some personality as well, but that reserved stoic look is harder to get a feel for.

• Like 3

Not exactly the faces of vehicles for serious, thoughtful gaming.

wat

They are meant to convey the personality and attitude of the character. You don't pick the ones that clash with your own character's personality and attitude...

• Like 2

[slap Aloth]

wat

They are meant to convey the personality and attitude of the character. You don't pick the ones that clash with your own character's personality and attitude...

I'm saying they don't look like real people to me, they look like actors in cosplay being hammy. When that's 3/4 of the portraits in the game, that's an issue for me. But like I said, we just have different tastes. C'est la vie.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 5

I'm saying they don't look like real people to me, they look like actors in cosplay being hammy. When that's 3/4 of the portraits in the game, that's an issue for me.

Now that's just a silly statement.

[slap Aloth]