It's time to level up!

171 members have voted

1. 1. When and where should you be able to level up?

• Whenever I want to - even in middle of combat
    • Anywhere outside of combat
    • While resting
    • Whenever I'm in a "safe" area (town, stronghold)
    • Only in specific locations like inns or player house, resting possibly required
    • You're a fool and should be eaten, none of these describe how I feel!

I like that too when it happens, but I dislike having the thought in my head that I should save my level ups to use them as heals during fights.

Well, I suppose there is help for that. Seriously, I haven't had that problem as I don't watch my leveling that closely.

Conversely, when it does happen, it feels like a wonderful surprise gift complete with an audible "Yay!" and an occasional, but exhilarating,  "Hee, hee evil OP mini-boss, you thought I was going to die huh? ("So did I" *mumble*) Psyche."

Edited by Sondai

Is it even possible to level up during combat? I thought experience points were earned through quests and not combat and I am assuming the leveling is based on experience. If I am wrong, I apologize for my mistake.

Good point. :D

Yeah, the free heal that comes with lvl-up does feel... weird. I mean, I've never had an insight which healed the itching mosquito bite...

You don't have Hit Points. Or whichever term any RPG describes health with in an abstract way that doesn't reflect the reality of being injured with nasty weapons. D&D4E did a nice explanation of their abstraction and their relation to healing surges. As far as I'm concerned, heal on level up is not an issue. Specially when...

About level up, if this was tabletop: training or bust. Find the proper mentor and/or proper place to evaluate what you have learnt during your adventures. While on the field, too busy to focus on new abilities and conditions might not be the best (Player: "I want to learn swimming"; DM: "Ooook. Did you notice that we are in the desert and that you have never practiced swimming before, right?"). But this is not tabletop.

Considering that people in general complains about stuff like items having weight, inventory tetris,... level up anywhere seems ok. Settling for it requiring same conditions as camping, would be adecuate.

• Like 1

Anywhere outside of combat I think is fine. You'd have the ability to take time to think, opposed to thinking for a second while enemies start a conflict. Additionally, being able to level up in combat might allow people to 'cheat' the system, because they could enter combat with a foe weak to fire, find they have no fire spells, then use the newly gained level to equip fire spells for an easy win. I don't agree with being able to do that, hence my choice of anywhere outside of combat, :).

Anywhere outside of combat I think is fine. You'd have the ability to take time to think, opposed to thinking for a second while enemies start a conflict. Additionally, being able to level up in combat might allow people to 'cheat' the system, because they could enter combat with a foe weak to fire, find they have no fire spells, then use the newly gained level to equip fire spells for an easy win. I don't agree with being able to do that, hence my choice of anywhere outside of combat, :).

Why do people care if people cheat themselves, if that is even what it is. Games are broken when they are designed around what (some) people do in their own free-time with a game they paid for. No one forces you (the player) to level up and this isn't a Pen & Paper game. Not to be rude, but I don't even see why this is an issue of concern.

Edited by Sondai

In my opinion the time of the level up can be whenever you want. All stats and improved skills should be available then.

But what i'd really like to see is that you have to go to an instructor to activate new abilities after an level up. 

Improving abilities -> during the level up

Activating new abilities -> have to go to an instructor to activate

And i also don't like the healing on level up 

Is it even possible to level up during combat? I thought experience points were earned through quests and not combat and I am assuming the leveling is based on experience. If I am wrong, I apologize for my mistake.

Ah, trying to be clever, I see? ;)

I'm sure there will be moments in the game where you're awarded XP for some reason (story cutscene, powering up some ancient device, entering a cave etc.) and then the game immediately throws you in the middle of a skirmish.

Or maybe you got the level up earlier but didn't go through the process at the time for some reason.

Ah, trying to be clever, I see? ;)

I'm sure there will be moments in the game where you're awarded XP for some reason (story cutscene, powering up some ancient device, entering a cave etc.) and then the game immediately throws you in the middle of a skirmish.

Or maybe you got the level up earlier but didn't go through the process at the time for some reason.

Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't even thinking about that. I voted "while resting" because that is how I plan on doing it if given the choice but I would be okay with the top 5 of those options :-)